Re: PCB designer? Weight issues.

Jared Smith

Thank you Brandon.

I have a document that provides an overview of everything at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Es1rbg2a9rPM2AEG23-Rvfko8uyDNknSzF_th0O7MnU/edit?usp=sharing

I'll put together a GitHub repository for the code and will share it soon. You won't really be able to test it without the hardware, but I'm happy to share it.

The charge controller didn't work as expected. The idea was good (the board was only .6 grams), but I didn't realize that the IC has an input current limiter of 100mA. With the voltage upconvert (1.5v converted to 4.2v), this decreases current and didn't leave enough to keep things running. By the time I added enough solar cells to maintain adequate current, it no longer provided a weight saving to use the charge controller. I'm looking at different options - or just might go with a slightly smaller solar cell and run 8 or 9 of them.

I've been testing everything and it seems to work great. I have it sitting out in the sun this morning to see what happens in marginal solar conditions as the sun comes up. The WSPR mode is incredibly efficient - it was heard in Florida on 10 milliwatts last night. The new, smaller clock generator should be here in a couple weeks, then I think I'll have most everything necessary for a launch.

Jared

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 11:48 PM, Brandon Tibbitts <Tibbs327@...> wrote:

Yep, that sounds like you're on the right track. I'll keep my eye open for thin PCB options, and once everything is proven out, then could help put it all to one thin/tiny PCB. As you mentioned that is key for longer term reliability.

Simple GPS antenna work better horizontal, but not entirely deaf while vertical either..

Do you have a system/component overview? Or did I miss it somewhere. Also were you archiving the code somewhere?

Brandon

Join BARC-HAB@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.