Topics

This months news and star charts - Dec 2019

Edwin Rod

Hi everyone

Please find this month’s research and news items attached below, along with the star charts too.

It’s almost the summer solstice, but far from it here in Wellington tonight!

https://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/content/temperatures-tonight-and-tomorrow

We had a week of hot weather that was very humid and now cool south-westerly! Forget seeing the stars for a while here!

If you happen to be in Nelson over the holiday break this sounds great.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/118322311/liftoff-for-nelson-provincial-museums-new-moon-exhibition

Rocket Lab is building a second launch pad.

https://spacenews.com/rocket-lab-to-build-second-launch-pad-in-new-zealand

The Benefits of a dark sky reserve in the Wairarapa

700 extra jobs - Times Age

I’m interesting to read the one on Exo moons tonight, and as always there is a range of interesting things to catch up on. A look at the evolution of the solar system, and again some interesting papers on exo planets and Red Dwarfs, along with a look at quantum mechanics.

Andrew also has a few updates I have included as well looking at Mars and other subjects.

I hope you all have a great holiday and Christmas break

Cheers Edwin

This months research

Hidden Planets Implications from Oumuamua and DSHARP
https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.06387

The Search for Living Worlds and the Connection to Our Cosmic Origins
https://arxiv.org/abs/1908.05951

HERITAGE a Monte Carlo code to evaluate the viability of interstellar travels using a multi-generational crew
https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.08649

Revisiting the cosmic-ray induced Venusian radiation dose in the context of habitability
https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.12788

The Transits of Extrasolar Planets with Moons
https://arxiv.org/abs/1105.3189

Photometry of an unusual small distant object 2016 ND21
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.02533

Distribution and Energy Balance of Pluto's Nitrogen Ice, as seen by New Horizons in 2015
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.02333

Atmospheres for Potentially Habitable Environments on TRAPPIST-1 Planets
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.02313

retrieving exoplanet atmospheric winds from high-resolution spectroscopy
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.02787

Simulated Direct Imaging Detection of Water Vapor For Exo-Earths
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.02228

Future stellar flybys of the Voyager and Pioneer spacecraft
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.03503

Habitable Age Instead of Location for Terrestrial Worlds
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.02862

Climate bistability of Earth-like exoplanets
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.05392

Do the TRAPPIST-1 Planets Have Hydrogen-rich Atmospheres?
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.05749

Detection of a wide orbit planetary mass companion to a solar-type Sco-Cen member
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.04284

Why Are We Obsessed with "Understanding" Quantum Mechanics?
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.08090

Can close-in giant exoplanets preserve detectable moons
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.08049

A record of the final phase of giant planet migration
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.02833

"Identifying Candidate Atmospheres on Rocky M Dwarf Planets via Eclipse Photometry," Daniel D. B. Koll et al., 2019, Astrophysical Journal [http://apj.aas.org, preprint: https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.13138].
* "Identifying Atmospheres on Rocky Exoplanets Through Inferred High Albedo," Megan Mansfield et al., 2019, Astrophysical Journal [http://apj.aas.org, preprint: https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.13150].
* "Analyzing Atmospheric Temperature Profiles and Spectra of M Dwarf Rocky Planets," Matej Malik et al., 2019, Astrophysical Journal [http://apj.aas.org, preprint: https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.13135].
* "A Scaling Theory for Atmospheric Heat Redistribution on Rocky Exoplanets," Daniel D. B. Koll, 2019, Astrophysical Journal [http://apj.aas.org, preprint: https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.13145].