Topics

October 2019 Newsletters and Starcharts

Edwin Rod

Hi everyone

All the usual Star charts and news items are attached for this month. I have also attached two bit of interesting research. The first looks at Ceres and how its domes are formed, these are fascinating features that hint at an active geology and there are similarities with Earth here too.  Gale crater also gets a look at with the history of salty water in the basin and past environmental conditions.

Two stories I have been following with interest are comet Borisov the latest interstellar visitor and also the work to get the Mole working on insight. Thanks to Andrew B we have some very good updates and details that he has written up on the subjects, these can be found in the attached newsletter txt.file. Having Red dwarfs as one of my favourite subjects at the moment it was interesting reading about the star system this comet originated from.

Social Media

I have been thinking about how and where I contribute here, with the recent demise of Google Plus and now Yahoo Groups, places I found to be very positive and friendly platforms have disappeared. The overall feeling from these platforms from a range of people in different groups is a strong dislike of facebook in fact many refuse to use it at all. I have been spending time at Groups.io over the past few weeks and I personally like the look and feel of the place, so if you haven’t already take a look and join my astronomy group there if you like.

Astronomy in New Zealand

https://groups.io/g/AstronomyNZ

AstronomyNZ@groups.io

Thanks Edwin

This month’s research

What if Planet 9 is a Primordial Black Hole?

https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.11090

Nomads of the Galaxy

https://arxiv.org/abs/1201.2687

The Snowball Stratosphere

https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.12717

Developing Linear Dark-Field Control for Exoplanet Direct Imaging

https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.11664

Detection of CN gas in Interstellar Object 2I/Borisov

https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.12144

Observing a wormhole

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.00429

The Habitable Zone Around Supermassive Black Holes

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.00940

A three-phase approach to grain surface chemistry in protoplanetary disks

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.01097

Measuring the atomic composition of planetary building blocks

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.07345

The Effect of Land Fraction and Host Star Spectral Energy Distribution on the Planetary Albedo of Terrestrial Worlds

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.05439

Resilient habitability of nearby exoplanet systems

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.07573

Plutos Far Side

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.08833

Red Dwarfs - Exo planets

Planet formation and migration near the silicate sublimation front in protoplanetary disks

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.03901

A new take on the low-mass brown dwarf companions on wide-orbits in Upper-Scorpius

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.00347

The Precision of Mass Measurements Required for Robust Atmospheric Characterization of Transiting Exoplanets

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.00076

Stability of Nitrogen in Planetary Atmospheres in Contact with Liquid Water

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.04111

No Snowball on Habitable Tidally Locked Planets with a Dynamic Ocean

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.06285

Exporting Terrestrial Life Out of the Solar System with Gravitational Slingshots of Earthgrazing Bodies

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.06414

How do Planetary Radius and Gravity Influence the Surface Climate of Earth-like Planets

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.06479

SETI - And the search for life

A very good update on Borisov

Detection of CN gas in Interstellar Object 2I/Borisov

https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.12144

Interstellar Interloper Borisov Looks Like a Regular Comet, for Now

https://eos.org/articles/interstellar-interloper-borisov-looks-like-a-regular-comet-for-now