This months news and research items

Edwin Rod

Hi everyone

Please find this month’s newsletters and star charts attached. This month there is an interesting number of papers and news items on my favorite class of stars, looking at planets around red dwarfs so plenty to read there. Speaking of Planets news broke of a possible planet around Alpha centauri A which is something we all need to keep a watch on. There is also a look at how many interstellar objects are captured by our solar system. New research on a possible outer planet arrived out this month and it’ too hard to say either way really, as usual Mike Brown had something to say on the subject. Starlink was back in the news and I read a good article from the ESA on re entry times for satellites which was very interesting. I managed to catch the live landing of Perseverance to which was a highlight this month so lots of images there along with news too.

So plenty of papers and news items to keep you all busy reading this month and your probably under some form of Covid lockdown so you will have the time for some reading, Currently were at Level 2 in Wellington (3 In Auckland).

Cheers Edwin

Research papers

Size and structures of disks around very low mass stars
https://arxiv.org/abs/2012.02225

Influence of Biomass Emissions upon Habitability
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.00220

Revisiting the Planet Mass and Stellar Metallicity Relation for Low-Mass Exoplanets Orbiting GKM Class Stars
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.01125

A Search for Optical Laser Emission from Proxima Centauri
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.01910

Resolving the History of Life on Earth by Seeking Life As We Know It on Mars
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.02362

3-D climate simulations for the detectability of Proxima Centauri b
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.03255

Formation conditions of Titan and Enceladus
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.03230

Detecting Atmospheric Molecules of Temperate Terrestrial Exoplanets
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.03194

Imaging low-mass planets within the habitable zone of a Centauri

Impact of photochemical hazes and gases on exoplanet atmospheric thermal structure
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.05763

Relative occurrence rates of terrestrial planets orbiting FGK stars
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.05808

Formation of Venus, Earth and Mars
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.06173

The Field Substellar Mass Function Based on the Full-sky 20-pc Census of 525 L, T, and Y Dwarfs
https://arxiv.org/abs/2011.11616

Persephone: A Pluto-System Orbiter and Kuiper Belt Explorer
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.08282

Primordial Radius Gap and Potentially Broad Core Mass Distributions of Super-Earths and Sub-Neptunes
https://arxiv.org/abs/2008.01105

Exoplanets Prediction in Multiplanetary Systems
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.08066

A Readily Implemented Atmosphere Sustainability Constraint for Terrestrial Exoplanets Orbiting Magnetically Active Stars
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.07837

No Evidence for Orbital Clustering in the Extreme Trans-Neptunian Objects
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.05601

On the Capture of Interstellar Objects by our Solar System
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.08488

Titan Earth-like on the Outside, Ocean World on the Inside
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.08472

Introducing Physical Warp Drives
[2102.06824]
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.06824

The Physics of Falling Raindrops in Diverse Planetary Atmospheres
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.09570

The rotational and divergent components of atmospheric circulation on tidally locked planets
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.11760

Interesting News items

Darrel Ramsey
https://www.martinboroughstar.co.nz/lifetime-astronomer-honoured/#more-9359

Study Reveals That Mercury Is the Not-So-Shrunken Planet
http://spaceref.com/mercury/study-reveals-that-mercury-is-the-not-so-shrunken-planet.html

Graham Palmer - Dark Sky Project
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/local-focus-the-dark-sky-project-of-maraekakaho/G67NGY2KKAVJ3KX4TNSST5AXRM

New study warns that sea levels will rise faster than expected
https://news.mongabay.com/2021/02/new-study-warns-that-sea-levels-will-rise-faster-than-expected

One cool small sat
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/a-pioneering-nasa-mini-weather-satellite-ends-its-mission

Mars
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/where-should-future-astronauts-land-on-mars-follow-the-water

Breakthrough Watch Enables Nearby Habitable-zone Exoplanets to be Directly Imaged
http://astrobiology.com/2021/02/breakthrough-watch-enables-nearby-habitable-zone-exoplanets-to-be-directly-imaged.html

Alpha Centauri
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/have-astronomers-finally-found-a-planet-around-alpha-centauri-maaaaaaaaaybe

Citizen scientists discover dozens of ‘failed stars’ near Earth
https://astronomy.com/news/2021/02/citizen-scientists-discover-dozens-of-failed-stars-near-earth

Cable Bacteria
http://astrobiology.com/2021/02/electric-cable-bacteria-breathe-oxygen-with-unheard-efficiency.html

Mars
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/searching-for-life-in-nasas-perseverance-mars-samples

No Evidence for Orbital Clustering in the Extreme Trans-Neptunian Objects
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.05601

Claim for giant ‘Planet Nine’ at Solar System’s edge takes a hit
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/02/claim-giant-planet-nine-solar-systems-edge-takes-hit

New analysis weakens — but doesn't kill — the case for Planet Nine (UPDATED)
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/new-analysis-weakens-but-doesnt-kill-the-case-for-planet-nine

Elon Musk's broadband service Starlink open for New Zealand pre-orders
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/124302357/elon-musks-broadband-service-starlink-open-for-new-zealand-preorders

An interesting look at Starlink in Canada
https://www.itworldcanada.com/article/starlink-internet-in-canada-a-remote-workers-experience-so-far/442741

A good graphic here of de orbit times
https://www.esa.int/ESA_Multimedia/Images/2021/02/Falling_to_Earth_takes_a_long_time

Join AstronomyNZ@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.