betelgeuse #Betelgeuse

David Leyshon

Regarding recent correspondence about Betelgeuse, members may recall that I gave a talk about the Winter Triangle - not that long ago.  The Wikipedia site defines it as 'an astronomical asterism formed from 3 of the brightest stars in the winter sky'.  Well, I happened to go outside tonight (to put the bin out) and I looked (naked-eye) at the southern sky.  Sirius was its usual ultra-brilliant self, Procyon was also - as always - a really bright complement, but poor old Betelgeuse was very much the dimmer of the 3.  In fact, unless one knew the asterism was there, it wouldn't be that easy to recognise the 3 stars AS an asterism at all.  But one lives in hope....

David