Betelgeuse Sat. night #Betelgeuse

ROD LEVENE

Hi folks. I tried another betelgeuse/ Belatrix comparison the other night and got a similar result to my last attempt, with the Betelgeuse line width being 25mm and Bellatrix being 27mm., so no change detected. Perhaps I should wait a few hundred years before checking again.
Interestingly, I used a different 'telescope' this time- a 600mm mirror lens and the result is surprisingly consistent with last time.
Rod.

John Herbert

Rod
How do you get the line to 25mm wide. Is it projected onto a wall or scaled up by a factor?
John

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:34 AM ROD LEVENE via Groups.Io <rodlev=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi folks. I tried another betelgeuse/ Belatrix comparison the other night and got a similar result to my last attempt, with the Betelgeuse line width being 25mm and Bellatrix being 27mm., so no change detected. Perhaps I should wait a few hundred years before checking again.
Interestingly, I used a different 'telescope' this time- a 600mm mirror lens and the result is surprisingly consistent with last time.
Rod.

David Leyshon

Or you could wait and see if reincarnation means anything.  That way, there's no waiting involved !!!

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 at 11:34, ROD LEVENE via Groups.Io <rodlev=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi folks. I tried another betelgeuse/ Belatrix comparison the other night and got a similar result to my last attempt, with the Betelgeuse line width being 25mm and Bellatrix being 27mm., so no change detected. Perhaps I should wait a few hundred years before checking again.
Interestingly, I used a different 'telescope' this time- a 600mm mirror lens and the result is surprisingly consistent with last time.
Rod.

ROD LEVENE

I just use the windows picture viewer zoom identically for each. I think it's very focus- dependent. Any lack of focus will tend to produce similar width circles/ lines but of different brightness.
Rod.