Betelgeuse #Betelgeuse

Ray Emery

Here’s a single image from last night in the early part of the evening.

Sky transparency was not great - some gradients resulting.

No filter used.

Nikon D5300, 50mm lens @ f5, 400 IS), 5 secs exp.

Tweede in Gimp.

No science here - just to give an impression!

- Ray -

Waldemar Falcone

Ray,
here is my effort. I didn't defocus it enough. My Canon is half-frame, so I only got the top half. Is Betelgeuse redder than before?

Vad

Here’s a single image from last night in the early part of the evening.

Sky transparency was not great - some gradients resulting.

No filter used.

Nikon D5300, 50mm lens @ f5, 400 IS), 5 secs exp.

Tweede in Gimp.

No science here - just to give an impression!

- Ray -

ROD LEVENE

I didn't know that Mars was in conjunction with Uranus.
Rod.

On Sunday, 19 January 2020, 14:28:04 GMT, Ray Emery <raymondemery0@...> wrote:

Here’s a single image from last night in the early part of the evening.

Sky transparency was not great - some gradients resulting.

No filter used.

Nikon D5300, 50mm lens @ f5, 400 IS), 5 secs exp.

Tweede in Gimp.

No science here - just to give an impression!

- Ray -

Ray Emery

Vad - I am never sure what goes on with these big red stars in terms of colour and magnitude and dimensions - i.e. their actual physical behaviour!

Therefore I withhold a determination.

I think a word with the BAA VSS wallahs would be a good idea…

:-)

- Ray -

On 19 Jan 2020, at 16:31, Waldemar Falcone <W.Falcone@...> wrote:

Ray,
here is my effort. I didn't defocus it enough. My Canon is half-frame, so I only got the top half. Is Betelgeuse redder than before?

Waldemar Falcone

Ray, do you know of any procedure for amateurs to estimate star colours?
Vad
Vad - I am never sure what goes on with these big red stars in terms of colour and magnitude and dimensions - i.e. their actual physical behaviour!

Therefore I withhold a determination.

I think a word with the BAA VSS wallahs would be a good idea…

:-)

- Ray -

On 19 Jan 2020, at 16:31, Waldemar Falcone <W.Falcone@...> wrote:

Ray,
here is my effort. I didn't defocus it enough. My Canon is half-frame, so I only got the top half. Is Betelgeuse redder than before?

David Leyshon

Re. stellar magnitudes: absolutely nothing to do with astronomy, but you know how little girls are often seen in pink and little boys in blue?  Well, about 100 years ago, it was the other way round.  Blue (a soft colour) was regarded as a female colour, and pink - a derivative of red, the tough military colour (worn by English soldiers - 'redcoats'), going back to the dominant colour of the New Model Army of 1645, was regarded as typically a boy's colour.  How fashions change!

Incidentally, I prefer pink to blue!  Used to wear pink shirts to work.

Sorry, that doesn't help you much with stellar magnitudes.  Anyway, I took 3 of my wife's piano pupils - a girl with her mum, then an older girl followed by her dad (who had driven the car to bring her to the lesson), outside to see Venus earlier.  Beautiful, as usual.  I also took my youngest grandson, Frankie (4), to a local library this morning, and found a super children's book about poor old Pluto's demotion from being a planet (in 2006).  It did it as a (cartoon) story, but incorporated loads of astronomy in it.  Amazing.

Cheers to you both, Ray and Vad.  Oh, and Rod as well.

David

Ray, do you know of any procedure for amateurs to estimate star colours?
Vad
Vad - I am never sure what goes on with these big red stars in terms of colour and magnitude and dimensions - i.e. their actual physical behaviour!

Therefore I withhold a determination.

I think a word with the BAA VSS wallahs would be a good idea…

:-)

- Ray -

On 19 Jan 2020, at 16:31, Waldemar Falcone <W.Falcone@...> wrote:

Ray,
here is my effort. I didn't defocus it enough. My Canon is half-frame, so I only got the top half. Is Betelgeuse redder than before?

Ivor Trueman

I found this tonight in Zeilik/Gregory's book - 'Introductory Astronomy & Astrophysics' 4th edition. Betelgeuse is a three star system, with Alpha Orionis B orbiting Betelgeuse ever 2.1 years & being so close that it enters it's chromosphere!

The third star, Alpha Orionis C, is ten times further away than 'B'.

Apologies for the out of focus right edge in the attached scan, as the diagram is very close to the book spine.

Cheers,
Ivor
PS: Does this explain the 'wonky' image of Betelgeuse that Rod posted?

Waldemar Falcone

I wonder how long it'll take for the friction of Bet A's chromosphere to slow down Bet C so that they spiral into each other? Vad