William Gascoigne book launch

David Sellers

Hi all,

For interest, here is a flyer advertising a function at the University on Mon 13 Jan 7 pm to mark the official launch of the booklet on the Leeds astronomer, William Gascoigne.

This is a joint function of the Department of Physics & Astronomy and the Leeds Philosophical & Literary Society.

John Lydon, the Secretary of the Phil & Lit, who have published the booklet, has asked that members of Leeds Astronomical Society be invited and has said that they will be very welcome.

I don’t think that any lengthy talks are to be given.

See you on Wednesday at the AGM.

Best regards,
Dave

Andrew West

Hi Dave,
Does this kick off promptly at 7pm?
I'm minded to attend so might just stay late around campus this evening.
Andy.

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020, 5:32 pm David Sellers via Groups.Io, <David.Sellers=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

For interest, here is a flyer advertising a function at the University on Mon 13 Jan 7 pm to mark the official launch of the booklet on the Leeds astronomer, William Gascoigne.

This is a joint function of the Department of Physics & Astronomy and the Leeds Philosophical & Literary Society.

John Lydon, the Secretary of the Phil & Lit, who have published the booklet, has asked that members of Leeds Astronomical Society be invited and has said that they will be very welcome.

I don’t think that any lengthy talks are to be given.

See you on Wednesday at the AGM.

Best regards,
Dave

David Sellers

Hi Andy,

It is scheduled for 7 pm, but I don’t know what format the event will take. I suspect it will be pretty informal. There will be an opportunity to examine the replica Gascoigne micrometers that the workshop of the Dept of Physics and Astronomy has constructed, as well has have wine & nibbles.

Perhaps see you this evening.

Dave

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020, 5:32 pm David Sellers via Groups.Io, <David.Sellers@...> wrote:
Hi all,

For interest, here is a flyer advertising a function at the University on Mon 13 Jan 7 pm to mark the official launch of the booklet on the Leeds astronomer, William Gascoigne.

This is a joint function of the Department of Physics & Astronomy and the Leeds Philosophical & Literary Society.

John Lydon, the Secretary of the Phil & Lit, who have published the booklet, has asked that members of Leeds Astronomical Society be invited and has said that they will be very welcome.

I don’t think that any lengthy talks are to be given.

See you on Wednesday at the AGM.

Best regards,
Dave

David Sellers

Hi Andy,

Since replying, I’ve just received a message from the Phil & Lit giving further details.

15 mins for people to arrive – wine & nibbles
Welcome by Prof. Helen Gleeson – including short intro to astronomical work of the Dept
10 min talk by me on the origins of the book, etc
Short contribution from Prof. Eric Blair (new Phil & Lit President)

Dave

[...]

Paul Marchant 3

Sorry I can’t be there Dave, as I am involved with Headingley Café Scientifique tonight.

Paul

[...]

David Leyshon

Hi David -

I doubt I can make it now.  Maggie has had a(nother) cataract op. today, and I don't think I should leave her on her own with partial vision.  Hope all goes well.  Give my love to the author, whoever he is.

Cheers -

David