Betelgeuse #Betelgeuse

Ray Emery

I have managed a few quick looks at Betelgeuse between clouds - an impressive change in brightness!

(Well, as far as we astros are concerned anyway.)

Apparently the star dimmed in similar fashion c. 100 years ago, but I don't know for how long.

If it is c. 700 ly away, that would mean it was actually undergoing this present change at around the time of the early C14 famines and poor harvests - shortly before the Black Death. Now there's a thought, indeed.

- Ray -

David Leyshon

I'm not sure if I - even with my lack of observational knowledge - also noticed that the other night.  Is that: 1) a point to me; 2) a point 'against' Betelgeuse; 3) a case of mistaken identity; 4) a case of amnesia (did I just imagine I'd seen it?) or 5) the onset of PD (Premature Dementia)?

So long as it's 1), 2), 3) or 4), I won't worry too much, Ray.  I'm going out in a minute to check.  It's 6.00 (pm) and I'm STILL in my dressing gown.  No true astronomer would go out attired like that !!!

By the way do members recall that the Russian Orthodox Church still uses the Julian calendar (I gave a talk on calendars to Leeds AS), so their Christmas Day is this Tuesday - the 7th?  So our AGM is actually a Russian Boxing Day.

Happy New Year.

Cheers -

David

On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 08:56, Ray Emery <raymondemery0@...> wrote:
I have managed a few quick looks at Betelgeuse between clouds - an impressive change in brightness!

(Well, as far as we astros are concerned anyway.)

Apparently the star dimmed in similar fashion c. 100 years ago, but I don't know for how long.

If it is c. 700 ly away, that would mean it was actually undergoing this present change at around the time of the early C14 famines and poor harvests - shortly before the Black Death. Now there's a thought, indeed.

- Ray -

Steve Strickland

I dont think you should be too concerned about the dressing gown David - Arthur Dent spent a whole 4 books in his ( this is a reference to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy for anyone under the age of 130).

There is some - probably wild -speculation that this dimming is due to the fact that Betelgeuse is about to go supernova.  Now if it could actually explode during the AGM that would be a great coup for the society :)

More seriously I seem to recall reading that these old stars have huge convection cells which cause dark patches like massive sunspots.  There was a picture recently, of Eta Carrinae I believe, which showed this phenomenon. Could this be the cause of the current dimming.

Of course it could all be down to the Vogons...

Steve Strickland
07795 095202

--

Steve Strickland
07795 095202

Steve Gillen

But how many Vogons were there?   42?
😉

On 5 Jan 2020, at 20:46, Steve Strickland <stevestrickland2408@...> wrote:

[...]

I seem to remember some problem with the infinite improbability drive.

I would mention the restaurant at the end of the universe but anyone who has eaten in the Eldon will know how that feels already 🤔

Steve Strickland
07795 095202

On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 20:51, Steve Gillen <sjgillen@...> wrote:
[...]

Especially when I went in that pub recently and paid nearly a FIVER for a pint.  No wonder the pub was nearly empty - I wondered if I should stay, but then the infamous West Brothers arrived to keep me company.

Incidentally, physicist Carlo Rovelli was on 'Private Passions' on Radio 3 at noon yesterday.  Super choice of music, accompanied by words of great insight and wisdom on the nature of Time, and its relation to music, etc.  (Almost as good as my talks on the same
subject !!!)

Seriously, DO listen to it.  Highly recommended.

DL