VW bus Engine change

Dale

In re to Subaru engine change: I’ve been seeing a lot of people use the Montana method of registration.
Form a LLC up there and then register your vehicles in MT. A lot of motorhomes seem to use that.
There are websites dedicated to this operation. Anybody know more?
I got a VT registration(thru the mail) for a 250cc motorcycle and then a nice, clean CA. title.
Costs you a few bucks in taxes & fees, though….
Works for cars also…
Dale

Steve Fields

On Jun 8, 2021, at 8:17 AM, Dale <daleice@mcn.org> wrote:

In re to Subaru engine change: I’ve been seeing a lot of people use the Montana method of registration.
Form a LLC up there and then register your vehicles in MT. A lot of motorhomes seem to use that.
There are websites dedicated to this operation. Anybody know more?
I got a VT registration(thru the mail) for a 250cc motorcycle and then a nice, clean CA. title.
Costs you a few bucks in taxes & fees, though….
Works for cars also…
Dale

Byron Brill

My brother has a place in Montana and in 2019 bought and registered his new pickup there. A CHP pulled him over in CA shortly after he brought it back here to CA and cited him for having an out of state vehicle in CA for more than thirty days. He took It to court and despite proving his Montana property and vehicle ownership, was socked with the full CA excise tax on the value of the new truck.

Out of state registration is little help these days.

Byron

In re to Subaru engine change: I’ve been seeing a lot of people use the Montana method of registration.
Form a LLC up there and then register your vehicles in MT. A lot of motorhomes seem to use that.
There are websites dedicated to this operation. Anybody know more?
I got a VT registration(thru the mail) for a 250cc motorcycle and then a nice, clean CA. title.
Costs you a few bucks in taxes & fees, though….
Works for cars also…
Dale

Tom Rymes

What matters is where the vehicle is garaged, not where it's registered or where one owns property. If you have a place in Montana and the vehicle is normally in Montana, then it should be registered in Montana. If you bring it to CA, that's actually 100% fine, but be prepared to show that it hasn't been there over 30 days. Toll Receipts, preferably those that capture the plate number, like an EZPass statement, would probably work, perhaps photographic evidence, printouts of Facebook posts, who knows.

Your brother essentially argued the wrong thing, namely that he owns property in Montana, which is irrelevant. He needed to argue that the car hadn't been in California for more than 30 days. Most people with Montana plates cannot do this without perjuring themselves, needless to say.

Commercial vehicles work around this issue by use of apportioned plates.

Tom