Topics

The rise and fall of the swing axle.

Dick Tuttle

 All the first Lloyds including the 600cc trucks and busses had the swing axles.  The Alexander TS came out in about 1960 and had trailing arm and coil springs in the rear. Nader's book came out in 1965 so he didn't influence Lloyd's change. Funny how swing axles popularity held on so long.  I thought it was because Porsche used them (probably plagiarized from Ledwinka) on the Auto Union GP cars so they were thought to be high tech.  High tech bad design, I'd say.  How could they think that constant camber change could be a good thing?  My Goggomobil had them at both ends.  I lowered it some and it handled well.  One of the last swing axle vehicles was the M151 army jeep type. A lot of them were crashed in roll-over accidents until they lowered the axle pivot and limited the camber change.  Most of the accidents were caused by over zealous corporals.  We had them in Korea and I liked them.

From: Ken Nelson <citbuff@...>
To: ArcaneAutos@groups.io
Sent: Thu, Aug 20, 2020 9:35 am
Subject: Re: [ArcaneAutos] How to change all 4 tires without a jack

Seems there are lots of stories about the commies comandeering these Tatras and losing them in corners with overenthusiast driving and doing flips from the heavy rear ends sliding out - which could create a lot of upside-down turtles, and Cindy has always shunned these cars due to her time in Czech Republic while it was still Commie controlled.  Still, wish I could have one of these for awhile to experience their "handling" .......
I avoided buying a Lloyd Alexander wagon yrs ago - with its two cyl OHC engine up front - because of its rear swingarms - never liked that arrangement, even tho i had an NSU 1200 rear 4 cyl autostick that never felt unstable - just don't like the rear end steering the front!

Ken

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 11:21 AM Dick Tuttle via groups.io <four4dhc=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Do you suppose that the extreme swing axle camber change had anything to do with the Tatra being on its head?  Does Ralph Nader know about this?

Dick Tuttle