SF area motor/gen shop

Red Fred

It seems that the Autolite generator on my '53 Indian Police Chief has gone Kaput.   Can anyone recommend a shop in the SF Bay Area that would tackle such jobs?

Thanks, RF.

Ken Nelson

I've used San Jose alternator/starter shop off Monterey on S. edge of SJ before with good luck.

San Jose Generator & Starter

 Facebook (5) · Auto parts & supply
40 San Jose Ave, San Jose · (408) 293-2200

Hope they can help you Fred.  Do you have it out of the bike?  Are you sure it's the gen vs a voltage regulator?

Ken
Opens in 4 mins

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 10:39 AM Red Fred <redfred47@...> wrote:
It seems that the Autolite generator on my '53 Indian Police Chief has gone Kaput.   Can anyone recommend a shop in the SF Bay Area that would tackle such jobs?

Thanks, RF.

steve ferrari

     I used San Jose Generator and Starter to rebuild the unit in my 1959 GMC.   I think it's a 1 man shop.....     Later I brought him the alternator in my 71 Fiat, he bench tested it and told me it was fine and to check the connections in the car.  Didn't charge me a dime.   I'd go back to him.  They actually "repair" stuff instead of trying to sell you on a new part.

-Steve

On Thursday, May 27, 2021, 7:39:40 AM PDT, Red Fred <redfred47@...> wrote:

It seems that the Autolite generator on my '53 Indian Police Chief has gone Kaput.   Can anyone recommend a shop in the SF Bay Area that would tackle such jobs?

Thanks, RF.

Dick Tuttle

I have seen San Jose Diesel Electric on King's Row do good work on old stuff.  They'll work with you.

     I used San Jose Generator and Starter to rebuild the unit in my 1959 GMC.   I think it's a 1 man shop.....     Later I brought him the alternator in my 71 Fiat, he bench tested it and told me it was fine and to check the connections in the car.  Didn't charge me a dime.   I'd go back to him.  They actually "repair" stuff instead of trying to sell you on a new part.

-Steve

On Thursday, May 27, 2021, 7:39:40 AM PDT, Red Fred <redfred47@...> wrote:

It seems that the Autolite generator on my '53 Indian Police Chief has gone Kaput.   Can anyone recommend a shop in the SF Bay Area that would tackle such jobs?

Thanks, RF.

Matthew Spielberg

I have had great lick with ASP in Hayward. Has done several starters and generators for the Toyotas, and generator for the Fiat 500.

Quick and not expensive.

On 5/27/2021 9:14 AM, Dick Tuttle via groups.io wrote:
I have seen San Jose Diesel Electric on King's Row do good work on old stuff.  They'll work with you.

     I used San Jose Generator and Starter to rebuild the unit in my 1959 GMC.   I think it's a 1 man shop.....     Later I brought him the alternator in my 71 Fiat, he bench tested it and told me it was fine and to check the connections in the car.  Didn't charge me a dime.   I'd go back to him.  They actually "repair" stuff instead of trying to sell you on a new part.

-Steve

On Thursday, May 27, 2021, 7:39:40 AM PDT, Red Fred <redfred47@...> wrote:

It seems that the Autolite generator on my '53 Indian Police Chief has gone Kaput.   Can anyone recommend a shop in the SF Bay Area that would tackle such jobs?

Thanks, RF.

Gerard Chateauvieux

In San Francisco, the best place I know is Riteway. Around 6th and Harrison area. They do great work. I recall the owner’s name is Jeff.

Gerard

On May 27, 2021, at 9:40 AM, Matthew Spielberg <mspielberg@...> wrote:

Luck, not lick.

On 5/27/2021 9:14 AM, Dick Tuttle via groups.io wrote:
I have seen San Jose Diesel Electric on King's Row do good work on old stuff.  They'll work with you.

     I used San Jose Generator and Starter to rebuild the unit in my 1959 GMC.   I think it's a 1 man shop.....     Later I brought him the alternator in my 71 Fiat, he bench tested it and told me it was fine and to check the connections in the car.  Didn't charge me a dime.   I'd go back to him.  They actually "repair" stuff instead of trying to sell you on a new part.

-Steve

On Thursday, May 27, 2021, 7:39:40 AM PDT, Red Fred <redfred47@...> wrote:

It seems that the Autolite generator on my '53 Indian Police Chief has gone Kaput.   Can anyone recommend a shop in the SF Bay Area that would tackle such jobs?

Thanks, RF.

Matthew Danning <mdanning@...>

I have had good luck with Alternators Unlimited in Berkeley/Albany.  Have not been there since covid, though.

Kind Regards

600miles

Easy to fix generators on your own, probably just brushes. I rebuilt my wife's Packard gen & starter  as well as my Powell starter.

When I had my 48 Chief back in 1981, we had a vw regulator on it, thats what Bill at Antique and Modern told me to use.
Miles

Dale

Is AutoElectrics in Campbell gone? Used to be my go to place…
Dale

Lou

Alternators Unlimited in Berkeley does not work on 6 volt units.
    Lou

On 5/28/2021 7:01 AM, Matthew Danning via groups.io wrote:
I have had good luck with Alternators Unlimited in Berkeley/Albany.  Have not been there since covid, though.

Kind Regards

Dick Tuttle

AutoElectrics was a good shop but is long gone now.

Is AutoElectrics in Campbell gone? Used to be my go to place…
Dale

Ken Nelson

Absolutely right 600miles - just rehabbed the starter for a friend's '39 Traction Avant - starter's are really just rearranged generators, and you can "motor" a generator if you know what you're doing.  The '39 starter was just dirty with grease so thick it kept the brushes from moving in their brackets and the springs couldn't move them well enough to maintain contact with the commutator.  A good cleaning, including cleaning out the grease in the insulator grooves between comm segments, then polishing the commutator with fine grit scotchbrite wheel and relubing bearings made it like new.  Same treatment works for gens also, so if you learn how to do one or the other, the rest are the same - pretty straightforward.  I can pass on a trick for reinstallng the brushes if anyone is interested - email me offline -

Alternators also are easy to rebuild with parts off Fleabay, from brushes to diodes to bearings - easy DIY if you just TRY, and learn from that.  For all my cars, I throw out the early alts and replace with bulletproof Delco CS130s from PNP - dirt cheap, and many different case variations with same guts - just find one whose mounting points are close enough so all you have to do is make a simple bracket adapter out of angle iron or strap iron.

Ken

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 7:57 AM 600miles <z600miles@...> wrote:
Easy to fix generators on your own, probably just brushes. I rebuilt my wife's Packard gen & starter  as well as my Powell starter.

When I had my 48 Chief back in 1981, we had a vw regulator on it, thats what Bill at Antique and Modern told me to use.
Miles

Geoff Kirkpatrick

I've also used Riteway. They rebuilt the wiper motor for my '67 Imperial Mobile Director a couple of years ago.

Larry Sacks

Another vote for San Jose Generator & Starter.

Rod Stuart is the owner and he rebuilt the starter alternator on my '79 X1/9.  Price was more than reasonable and the work was excellent.

Larry

Keith Murphy

Sadly, Rod Stewart died a few years back, his company is now under new management.
New owners have good attitudes, but not as indulging of giving time to help hobbiest - they have to make a buck, please leave a tip if your just hobbiest and want mostly advice and hand holding.
RIP Rod - always helpful.

On Jun 6, 2021, at 10:34 PM, Larry Sacks <LMSacks@...> wrote:

Another vote for San Jose Generator & Starter.

Rod Stuart is the owner and he rebuilt the starter alternator on my '79 X1/9.  Price was more than reasonable and the work was excellent.

Larry

Ken Nelson

Agree with you Keith - Rod was always to help a car hobbyist - it was a real blow to lose him at such a young age.  The new guys are fine but have to make a living - they do seem to know their stuff.

If anyone out there has a classic with a Startix system, I found that most gen/alt shops don't want to tackle them, but they're not that bad. Having learned by working on a Derelict friend's '30s boattail Auburn, when he has disappointing results with a local gen shop around Los Altos a few yrs ago, that the generators on those early cars were 3 brush units, where the 3rd brush was movable to act as a voltage regulator, I could possibly help anyone out there who has one.  If so, contact me offline.

The owner's problem surfaced as an irregular engaging of the starter via the Startix control box, and that led to clashing of the starter bendix while the engine was running fine.  The Startix was  developed to automatically restart the engine if it suddenly died.  In this erratic situation, the problem could potentially have destroyed the ring gear and/or the starter motor.  Altho the local shop provided new brushes and brush springs, they didn't notice that the commutator was .005 inches out of round, and that caused the brushes to bounce, leading to arcing, and erratic triggering of the Startix control box.  Worse, somehow the shop's work caused one brush spring to be so bent out of shape that it wasn't applying a direct push force on the spring, and actually partially jammed the brush in its holder, which caused the brush to intermittently contact the commutator.  Once I replaced the distorted spring, bent the replacement so it would push directly down on the brush along with replacing the worn cockeyed brush with a new one, then polished the commutator with a fine grit Scotchbrite wheel, the generator worked correctly even tho the commutator was still out of round.  I didn't have a lathe to true it up, but with the brush working well with no bouncing, the gen provided a constant signal to the control box and stopped the erratic starter engagement when it wasn't necessary.

Ken

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 12:13 PM Keith Murphy via groups.io <Keithddl527=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Sadly, Rod Stewart died a few years back, his company is now under new management.
New owners have good attitudes, but not as indulging of giving time to help hobbiest - they have to make a buck, please leave a tip if your just hobbiest and want mostly advice and hand holding.
RIP Rod - always helpful.

On Jun 6, 2021, at 10:34 PM, Larry Sacks <LMSacks@...> wrote:

Another vote for San Jose Generator & Starter.

Rod Stuart is the owner and he rebuilt the starter alternator on my '79 X1/9.  Price was more than reasonable and the work was excellent.

Larry

Larry Sacks

I had no idea.  Rod was a great guy.  I found him by way of recommendation and always recommended him whenever anyone asked.

Larry