Topics

PIpe flaring tool from Harbor Freight

sujit roy

I bought a double flaring kit from them years back, Tried using it for making brake lines but didn't have much luck.
Anyone had success?
Sujit

Ken Nelson

Take it to a good auto parts store and compare it visually to a "professional" type tool - you may be able to spot why it doesn't work - if the HF one is crudely made, as a lot of them are.  I examine lots of their tools and the more handmade ones - that is, hand finished by grinding, etc,  and I pick the best made one, if I buy one at all.
Another idea:  use cupro-nickel tubing if you're replacing a whole line - it forms far easier and doesn't rust.  You can buy 25 ft rolls of  it now at lots of auto stores.  Also, double flares can be tricky to make - you need to be very accurate on the distance details of the end metal, so it forms properly - too long or too short and the double flare may not work well.

Ken

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 12:53 AM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I bought a double flaring kit from them years back, Tried using it for making brake lines but didn't have much luck.
Anyone had success?
Sujit

Matthew Spielberg

I second Kens comments on materials. I have never had good luck with swapping ends on steel brake lines, with any flaring tools. There are alternate materials available.

And if you still need a shop, there is one in San Leandro which has made up hydraulic lines for me.