Pep boys closing stores - clearance of stock on hand no returns

Keith Murphy

Fred Cisin

Do Manny, Moes, and Jack have any Civic brake calipers?

sujit roy

I'm assuming Fred is on some Honda forum. I'm sure someone can help their.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021, Keith Murphy via groups.io wrote:

> https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/columnists/pep-boys-icahn-automotive-closings-20210331.html%3foutputType=amp

Fred Cisin

Thank you, but no.

I was jokingly referencing Lou's plea HERE for help finding front calipers for 1973 Honda Civic. (Is a conversion to electric "arcane" enough?)

Unfortunately, they may be getting harder to find. And I no longer have any contacts in the Honda realm. I'm no longer even getting help requests from my Honda book.

The early Civic brakes were quite noisy. They tried special shims, etc.
OB_Anecdote: In 1976?, for the Accord, Don Laughton mentioned that his Fiat brakes were quiet, so Honda studied those and changed design.

If the American Honda dealers don't have them, have you tried Canada? OB_Anecdote: In about 1980, we got in a basket case NON-USA NON-CVCC Canadian Accord for cylinder head work, that Boas Pontiac/Honda (SF) had disassembled without having checked on parts availability. American Honda was unable to help. I called Clarke-Simpkins Toyota/Honda in Vancouver BC
(now Carter? Honda www.carterhonda.com ?), and in a few days, UPS dropped off everything that we needed. (You might need to know the multi-part Honda part number, rather than the 6? digit American Honda number; Miles got my parts catalogs)

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred cisin@xenosoft.com

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021, Sujit Roy wrote:

I'm assuming Fred is on some Honda forum. I'm sure someone can help their.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 5:34 PM, Fred Cisin<cisin@xenosoft.com> wrote: Do Manny, Moes, and Jack have any Civic brake calipers?

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021, Keith Murphy via groups.io wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/columnists/pep-boys-icahn-automotive-closings-20210331.html%3foutputType=amp

--
Fred Cisin cisin@xenosoft.com
XenoSoft http://www.xenosoft.com
PO Box 1236 (510) 234-3397
Berkeley, CA 94701-1236

Ken Nelson

What is it about these calipers that makes them unrebuildable?  Do the frames corrode or crumble from rust?  What happens to be unobtainium for these critters??  I'm curious, as I've seen all sorts of strange disc caliper designs, and the ones on  my '64 Bristol 408 are the most bizarre I've seen, yet they're Dunlops - same as used on some Jags and Ferraris, but they're still weird, yet rebuildable.

Ken

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 3:27 PM Fred Cisin <cisin@...> wrote:
Thank you, but no.

I was jokingly referencing Lou's plea HERE for help finding front calipers
for 1973 Honda Civic.   (Is a conversion to electric "arcane" enough?)

Unfortunately, they may be getting harder to find.  And I no longer have
any contacts in the Honda realm.  I'm no longer even getting help requests
from my Honda book.

The early Civic brakes were quite noisy.  They tried special shims, etc.
OB_Anecdote:  In 1976?, for the Accord, Don Laughton mentioned that his
Fiat brakes were quiet, so Honda studied those and changed design.

If the American Honda dealers don't have them, have you tried Canada?
OB_Anecdote: In about 1980, we got in a basket case NON-USA NON-CVCC
Canadian Accord for cylinder head work, that Boas Pontiac/Honda (SF) had
disassembled without having checked on parts availability.  American Honda
was unable to help.  I called Clarke-Simpkins Toyota/Honda in Vancouver BC
(now Carter? Honda www.carterhonda.com ?), and in a few days, UPS dropped
off everything that we needed.  (You might need to know the multi-part
Honda part number, rather than the 6? digit American Honda number; Miles
got my parts catalogs)

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred                 cisin@...

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021, Sujit Roy wrote:

> I'm assuming Fred is on some Honda forum. I'm sure someone can help their.
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
>  On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 5:34 PM, Fred Cisin<cisin@...> wrote:   Do Manny, Moes, and Jack have any Civic brake calipers?
>

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2021, Keith Murphy via groups.io wrote:
>
>> https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/columnists/pep-boys-icahn-automotive-closings-20210331.html%3foutputType=amp

--
Fred Cisin                      cisin@...
XenoSoft                        http://www.xenosoft.com
PO Box 1236                     (510) 234-3397
Berkeley, CA 94701-1236

600miles

I rebuild a lot of n600 calipers, I took on Lou's caliper project. New pistons on Rock are only $10 and I have kits.

Steven Rhodes

WOW, now they look too nice to put on the car, I wouldn’t want to get them dirty!

I rebuild a lot of n600 calipers, I took on Lou's caliper project. New pistons on Rock are only $10 and I have kits.