Topics

People are nuts or am I totally out of touch?

David Russel

This one is a bit hard to believe, but clearly BaT is a better format than putting a For Sale sign in the window !!

Original list price of $1,300 ?
David

Matthew Spielberg

Truly amazing.

On 10/19/2020 12:34 PM, David Russel wrote:
This one is a bit hard to believe, but clearly BaT is a better format than putting a For Sale sign in the window !!

David
-- 
Matthew M Spielberg
21855 Redwood Road
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 886-5751
(209) 586-0250

Craig Parada

¥50000, yes? ($475USD). 

On Oct 19, 2020, at 13:06, Matthew Spielberg <mspielberg@...> wrote:

Truly amazing.

David
-- 
Matthew M Spielberg
21855 Redwood Road
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 886-5751
(209) 586-0250

Brian Kanamu

Fifty thousand US dollars.   Insane.

From: ArcaneAutos@groups.io [mailto:ArcaneAutos@groups.io] On Behalf Of Craig Parada
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 3:04 PM
To: ArcaneAutos@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ArcaneAutos] People are nuts or am I totally out of touch?

¥50000, yes? ($475USD). 

Truly amazing.

David

-- 
Matthew M Spielberg
21855 Redwood Road
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 886-5751
(209) 586-0250

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

David Russel

The comments are entertaining as was the bidding process. 

David 

Sent From Mobile Phone

On Oct 19, 2020, at 3:05 PM, Brian Kanamu via groups.io <citromatic=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

From: ArcaneAutos@groups.io [mailto:ArcaneAutos@groups.io] On Behalf Of Craig Parada

¥50000, yes? ($475USD). 

Truly amazing.

David

-- 
Matthew M Spielberg
21855 Redwood Road
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 886-5751
(209) 586-0250

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Richard Ranch

Nice car but a total outlier. I’ve never seen one more than $7500. Somebody really wanted that car. Seller must be ecstatic. 

On Oct 19, 2020, at 1:06 PM, Matthew Spielberg <mspielberg@...> wrote:

Truly amazing.

David
-- 
Matthew M Spielberg
21855 Redwood Road
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 886-5751
(209) 586-0250

Dave Smith

I saw the title of the post and thought, "I bet this is the 50k 360".  I thought it was insane when it hit 20k. Great timing for the seller. 

Bruce Dewing

I'd wait to see if this is a legitimate transaction.  It's not a 100 point car and I think it's a false bid.  Some rube will think it's a bargain when it's offered for 35k.

On Monday, October 19, 2020, 3:05:42 PM PDT, Brian Kanamu via groups.io <citromatic@...> wrote:

¥50000, yes? ($475USD). 

Truly amazing.

David

-- 
Matthew M Spielberg
21855 Redwood Road
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 886-5751
(209) 586-0250

Avast logo

www.avast.com

David Russel

Bruce, 

I had the same thought but it takes at least 2 bidders to drive prices up and BaT requires a credit card on file before they allow bids to be placed.  The CC requirement could prevent fake bidding. 

Don’t know how to uncover if there was a shill or fake bidder. 

David 

Sent From Mobile Phone

On Oct 20, 2020, at 8:57 AM, Bruce Dewing via groups.io <tralfaz42=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I'd wait to see if this is a legitimate transaction.  It's not a 100 point car and I think it's a false bid.  Some rube will think it's a bargain when it's offered for 35k.

On Monday, October 19, 2020, 3:05:42 PM PDT, Brian Kanamu via groups.io <citromatic=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

¥50000, yes? ($475USD). 

Truly amazing.

David

-- 
Matthew M Spielberg
21855 Redwood Road
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 886-5751
(209) 586-0250

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Dave Smith

I remember an Imp that was for sale last year. I'm pretty sure it "sold" to a shill. The seller reposted it on eBay a few days after the end of the BAT auction, and a few people on the Facebook Imp group noticed.  The auction ended. Maybe it was a mistake or maybe the seller realized that the money he makes from BAT was worth ending the auction.  I don't think that Imp has popped up for sale again yet.

David Russel

BaT's policy re bidding is:

"Bids are secured by deposit. To help make sure all bidding is real, when a bid is made we place a temporary hold on the bidder's card for the buyer’s fee (5% of the vehicle price, max $5k). At auction close the winning bidder is charged and all other holds are released."

This would seem to impede having a shill win, establishing a supposed market price, and then turning around and selling on a different platform.  Listing a car with a high reserve and having a shill help boost the price higher than "normal" could be helpful.  Either a real buyer pushes it over the reserve or bids high enough that the seller removes the reserve, or the bidding doesn't hit the reserve and the seller pays the listing fees and sells it on a different platform at a higher price.  This doesn't make much sense to do as it is the buyer who pays fees based on purchase price and the seller's fees and costs for listing the car, as I understand it, are the same whether the car does or doesn't sell.

Again, as someone who has never listed or purchased a car on BaT, this is all speculation.

Does Craigs List charge for listing or selling cars?  totally oblivious about their current and past policies.
David R.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 11:59 AM Dave Smith <gornzilla@...> wrote:
I remember an Imp that was for sale last year. I'm pretty sure it "sold" to a shill. The seller reposted it on eBay a few days after the end of the BAT auction, and a few people on the Facebook Imp group noticed.  The auction ended. Maybe it was a mistake or maybe the seller realized that the money he makes from BAT was worth ending the auction.  I don't think that Imp has popped up for sale again yet.

BritCarNut

A year or so ago, Craigslist started charging $5 for car ads. Still almost free, but it seemed like it really cut back a lot of the interesting cheap stuff. I wouldn't have thought five bucks would be much of a hurdle for legitimate sellers wanting to advertise a car, even if it's a cheap crap box, but I noticed a big drop off in ads for the kind of stuff I, and probably many of us, find appealing.

Peter Langecker

With Craigslist you almost always get spammers to respond or people who want to buy the car unseen and want to send you a $10,000 check - just send them a check back for the difference between the car and shipping. Of course their check will be fake.

No real buyers that have ever responded to my posts (last one for a nice Audi S4 for example).

You get what you pay for. However, pick n' pull sometimes has nice drivable older cars - like the one outside Carson City - I often stop by there when we are in Tahoe.

Peter Langecker

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri, Oct 23, 2020 10:06 am

A year or so ago, Craigslist started charging $5 for car ads. Still almost free, but it seemed like it really cut back a lot of the interesting cheap stuff. I wouldn't have thought five bucks would be much of a hurdle for legitimate sellers wanting to advertise a car, even if it's a cheap crap box, but I noticed a big drop off in ads for the kind of stuff I, and probably many of us, find appealing.

Scott Davis

It's not so much the cost, methinks it's linking a payment method. Personally I try to avoid this as it is clear that personal information is not protected by companies, identity theft is rampant. That's another topic entirely...

Facebook marketplace is free, so many moved there.

There's a 1979 Celica with 84k and manual transmission for $500 down here that I would have in a minute, had I a place to store it. Right headlights, and a look that I personally find very appealing:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/841493056602339/

Anybody wants it lemme know, can help bring it up.

Scott

At 10:06 AM 10/23/2020, you wrote: