Monterey Speed Week

Matthew Spielberg

Who would have guessed that this year would be a little different?

First, the traditional back roads drive on Thursday from the T and A Cafe in Spreckels to Carmel with lunch salads is off. The wonderful folks at the T and A cafe are no longer there, so no more salads. And Ray Nierlich, who had been running this single handedly for about the last 10 years or so deserves a Thursday to himself. If I have not said this before, thank you Ray and Carla.

Still intend to be in Carmel on Thursday, and wave off the Tour d' Elegance participants as they return from Carmel to Pebble. But no Tour d' Arcane that morning.

If anyone is interested in a group drive from the general bay area down to Carmel on Tuesday, please contact me. We are going to do a one day run just to visit the Concours on the Avenue that day. Sorry...too late to register to show, but admission is free and available. However, this is open only to the vaccinated public, or those with proof of a three day negative test. I have no idea how they expect to enforce that, but....

Thursday August 11  they will be holding the Little Car Show in Pacific Grove. No admission charge for the public, but they are limiting registration, which now costs $100 since you missed the $75 early bird rate. <marinamotorsports.com> Be quick if you intend to register.

Concours d'Lemons is set for Saturday August 14 in Seaside. <24hoursoflemons.com>. They had 34 spots available as of moments ago. Again, be quick.

Note that Pebble Beach is on Sunday. $400 in advance. $500 on the day of the show. It looks like no Japanese invitational this year, which had been free, and if you mentioned the magic words "Japanese Invitational" then no charge for the 17 mile drive. Personally, I hope that it returns in the future.

And for those who are not superstitious, Friday the 13th is the Quail. Sorry, sold out. But there is a wait list available. And for about $3500, they will give you admission for 3, plus a helicopter flight in to the event.

adrian cockcroft

As far as I can tell, the Pebble Beach tour on Thursday no longer stops for lunch in Carmel, it returns directly to Pebble Beach, and while I assume they will drive down Ocean, it would be a drive by, rather than a four lane parking lot for a few hours of intimate thronging.

We've moved to the area, and if anyone remembers the route from previous years, along Corral de Tierra Rd there's a sign saying Markham Ranch, we live in there now. So since it's local for us, we'll be at most of the events during the week, including the historic races and Pebble Beach Concours itself. See you there!

Cheers Adrian

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 1:30 PM Matthew Spielberg <mspielberg@...> wrote:

[...]

Adrian is Correct. But it is worse than that.

There is a tour map, and the general populous is welcome to stand on the route and wave as the cars go by.

The tour actually avoids Carmel entirely, and does not even go by the Carmel gate re-entry point. <https://pebblebeachconcours.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Pebble-Beach-Tour-dElegance-Map-2021_Hi_Res-scaled.jpg>

Just to quote:

"This is a great opportunity to get a first glimpse of the beautiful cars that will grace the show field on Concours Sunday as the public is invited to view the Tour, without fee, at several points.

For all you early birds, there’s nothing like hearing and feeling the engines revving at the Start. Be sure to get there bright and early though: the cars begin to line up before 7:00 am and leave promptly at 9:00 am!"

BTW, a call to the tour folks had not a clue or a hint as to where to "view the Tour, without fee" but referred me to the map.

On 7/29/2021 1:45 PM, adrian cockcroft wrote:
[...]

Raymond Nierlich

A minor correction on Matt's most excellent post. The Little Car show in Pacific Grove is the 11th but that is WEDNESDAY, not Thursday!

Best,
Ray