Machine shop to repair staked drive shafts

sujit roy

My Stag has drive shafts that used UJ that are staked in. I'd like to have the hub part machined to accept a reusable UJ. Anyone know a place with approx. price? New hubs are available  for 400$. I'd like to save $200 and buy a welding gas tank.
Sujit

Ken Nelson

Sujit, can you drill out the stakes and use mig welding to retain them?  Send a  photo of what you're talk

Ken

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 4:31 PM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
My Stag has drive shafts that used UJ that are staked in. I'd like to have the hub part machined to accept a reusable UJ. Anyone know a place with approx. price? New hubs are available  for 400$. I'd like to save $200 and buy a welding gas tank.
Sujit

Craig Parada

My sad experience with u-joint yokes (on an early Spitfire) many, many years ago, is that they can become very slightly oval due to the stresses from the work U-joint. That makes the new UJ difficult to fit, and the entire assembly subject to failure. English metallurgy from that era didn’t help.

On Dec 21, 2020, at 13:31, sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy@...> wrote:

My Stag has drive shafts that used UJ that are staked in. I'd like to have the hub part machined to accept a reusable UJ. Anyone know a place with approx. price? New hubs are available  for 400$. I'd like to save $200 and buy a welding gas tank.
Sujit

Ken Nelson

You just confirmed what a close friend of mine told me about UK engineering Craig.  Peter Dawson, who apprenticed under Colin Chapman before he joined Chrysler in the '50s, told me the English were great theoreticians, but lousy executioners, and that included ,metallurgy.
Peter built his own H ,mod racers in a rented garage in detroit of 1 in. sq. tubing, made his own alum. body, and used first Crosley engines, then Mercury outboards.  Lost his left arm when a novice cut in front of his open wheel car, flipped and no rollbars back then.  Ended his racing career, so he became Chrysler's liaison with the Sommers brothers when they used 4 Hemis in the Goldenrod land speed record car at bonnevile in '65.  2400 hp and no blowers - did 409 mph avg & set a longstanding record.  I met Peter when we were both bidding on a '65  Citroen in detroit.  He also had  a 2CV, Subi 360 and a UK Victoria - looked like a toy car and Peter was 6' 2" and about 220 - never did figure out how he got into it!  He also was key in starting Mopar racing parts as his buddies always wanted more power - he bugged his mgr about what Chrysler could do, so mgr said go do something and he did.
Just before he died, he got the Goldenrod running for the HFord museum, where it now rests - if anyone goes there, look it up. Peter is mentioned in the audio history.
That metallurgy problem must explain why my Jowett Jupiters seemed to always crack crankshafts.  Jowett only made 900 of them, they did ok at Lemans, but they didn't solve the crank cracks until after they went out of production in '53 - true to form?

Ken

On Dec 21, 2020, at 13:31, sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

My Stag has drive shafts that used UJ that are staked in. I'd like to have the hub part machined to accept a reusable UJ. Anyone know a place with approx. price? New hubs are available  for 400$. I'd like to save $200 and buy a welding gas tank.
Sujit

Fred Cisin

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020, sujit roy via groups.io wrote:
$200 and buy a welding gas tank.
Get a USED tank. But, one that is within date range.

I once bought a NEW tank.
One of my employees took it to be refilled, and they charged the gas price and exchanged it. OK. Except that the exchange tank was barely within date. 2 years later, when taking it in, they charged extra because it was out of date.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred cisin@xenosoft.com

Lou

    I believe there is a 5 year limit on Tanks.
Some, you can get tested and use each time
you fill after that.   Testing is not cheap and
means when you run out of gas in the middle
of a project, you have to wait days before
you can get it refilled.
    I go to Airco with a tank I bought from
them and trade it for a filled tank with Oxy &
acetylene.   I don't believe there's a time limit
as I've been doing this  for 20 years.   You
might show "Welders Heaven" your receipt
for new tank if it hasn't been 5 years.
    Good luck,            Lou       .       .