Looking for VIN verifier

RTuttle

Hi all,
My recently purchased Renault 16 currently has a Michigan title. In order to get the out of state title transferred and the car registered, I was told by AAA the car’s VIN would need to be verified. I was wondering if any of you knew a person that can show up to your house to verify the VIN. The car is currently not running and has no license plates so I would need to trailer it to a DMV or CHP location, hence why I want the person to be able to come to my house. I want to try and avoid trailering it if possible but in the end it may be what I have to do. Please let me know if you know someone who can verify a VIN.

Much appreciated,
-Rowan

David Miller

where are you located?
David

On Jul 30, 2021, at 7:43 PM, RTuttle <tatorsaurus@...> wrote:

Hi all,
My recently purchased Renault 16 currently has a Michigan title. In order to get the out of state title transferred and the car registered, I was told by AAA the car’s VIN would need to be verified. I was wondering if any of you knew a person that can show up to your house to verify the VIN. The car is currently not running and has no license plates so I would need to trailer it to a DMV or CHP location, hence why I want the person to be able to come to my house. I want to try and avoid trailering it if possible but in the end it may be what I have to do. Please let me know if you know someone who can verify a VIN.

Much appreciated,
-Rowan

RTuttle

San Jose area.

Red Fred

I'm afraid that mine has finally hit the wall of old age, and miserably penalized.  She is DONE!  What a shame.  History, and end of an era.   She was a huge facet of the movement, helping establish all the Schlumph Bugatti to the Mullen Museum.
It hurts me to see her so fucked up with age now.  She helped me so much with my "Creative" registrations.

Hopefully there is a replacement while we can still enjoy ICE powered buggies.

Scared, RF.

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 8:07 PM RTuttle <tatorsaurus@...> wrote:
San Jose area.

Lou

Hi Rowan,
    In theory, any peace officer can verify a VIN number.
Try calling when they are not too busy.   If one DMV employee
wants to look at the car them selves, go to another DMV
and talk to another employee.
    It is also you could hire a private licensed verifyer.   Auto
manufacturers and wrecking yards hire them.
        Lou

On 7/30/2021 7:43 PM, RTuttle wrote:

Hi all,
My recently purchased Renault 16 currently has a Michigan title. In order to get the out of state title transferred and the car registered, I was told by AAA the car’s VIN would need to be verified. I was wondering if any of you knew a person that can show up to your house to verify the VIN. The car is currently not running and has no license plates so I would need to trailer it to a DMV or CHP location, hence why I want the person to be able to come to my house. I want to try and avoid trailering it if possible but in the end it may be what I have to do. Please let me know if you know someone who can verify a VIN.

Much appreciated,
-Rowan

Dale

Up here in Mendocino, a CHP will come to my door if I call for an appt.
Otherwise, trailer it to the DMV. The Ukiah office has a CHP right next door and is
very well run. You should be able to get a 1 day move permit to drive it to a DMV…get insurance!
I hope that its on a Non-op. If not, register it in Vermont via the mail….I’ve done it…then to the CA DMV
Dale

600miles

In the past if I download the form, a CHP would come to my house and do it free of charge. The Sheriff will not do it, but local PD will. Also, before I moved from Ca to Or I had Larry Cohen come out and verify 6 vehicles for me on site in Boulder Creek.

Serious Auto
Larry Cohen
831-359-8711
Lcohen831@...

Miles

David Russel

If all the at-home options don’t work out and it has to be towed, take it to the CHP for verification. Not saying it’s common or would happen to you but the verification done by the Santa Clara DMV’s own verifier was rejected by the manager who oversaw the clerk working on my transaction!  She said the only Verification she’d accept was from the CHP. Drove over (car had current out of state plates and was running) to CHP, was lucky that someone was late for their appointment and the inspecting officer was friendly and liked seeing an Arcane car, got the inspection done, went back to dmv with the CHP verification, and all went well.

15-20 years ago Mountain View police would send an officer to your house to verify, but when requested about  10 years ago they’d stopped providing that service. When they wouldn’t come to my house I drove over to the police station and asked at the desk but they wouldn’t send anyone out and said they no longer did verifications.

Good luck

On Jul 31, 2021, at 9:54 AM, 600miles <z600miles@...> wrote:

In the past if I download the form, a CHP would come to my house and do it free of charge. The Sheriff will not do it, but local PD will. Also, before I moved from Ca to Or I had Larry Cohen come out and verify 6 vehicles for me on site in Boulder Creek.

Serious Auto
Larry Cohen
831-359-8711

Miles

Matthew Spielberg

Within the last year I needed a VIN verified. Called my local CHP and they traveled the 6 blocks to my office. Did 3 at once.

Note that if it does not have the “standard” modern VIN, it has to be done by CHP, and CHP in the county where it is to be registered. Not independent BIN Verifier. Says so on the verification form. (Actually says CHP, but does not say in county. But it is so)

On Jul 31, 2021, at 9:54 AM, 600miles <z600miles@...> wrote:

In the past if I download the form, a CHP would come to my house and do it free of charge. The Sheriff will not do it, but local PD will. Also, before I moved from Ca to Or I had Larry Cohen come out and verify 6 vehicles for me on site in Boulder Creek.

Serious Auto
Larry Cohen
831-359-8711

Miles

Dave Smith

About 10 years ago I had a friend who's a Sacramento Deputy Sheriff check a VIN for me. He said the DMV might not take it and that he had problems himself when one of his co-workers VIN checked for him. It's up to the DMV person you get. I've had good luck so far, but one day I know it'll be a pain.

600miles

I posted to the HAMB asking the question about registering a car in a different state by mail all I got was a bunch of crappy answers and nothing about how to register in a different state.

Its like when I see people on FB posting to a group about one thing and everyone wants to know why he wants to do that, or giving advice on how to do something else. So maddening!

So, how do you reg something out of state? Oregon makes you have title in hand or you have to do a shady lien sale. In my case, I drove back into CA with a stack of papers and my CA Vin verification and got Title Only for $46.

Also found out if you are getting Title only in CA theres no sales tax.

Miles

David Russel

Miles,

For getting only a CA title did you need to get a non-op or registration?  Did you already have a CA vin verification or did you bring the car from OR to CA to get it verified?

It makes sense that if there isn’t a vehicle sale involved there will not be any sales tax.

David

Oh, what is the HAMB?

Sent From Mobile Phone

On Aug 8, 2021, at 1:44 AM, 600miles <z600miles@...> wrote:

I posted to the HAMB asking the question about registering a car in a different state by mail all I got was a bunch of crappy answers and nothing about how to register in a different state.

Its like when I see people on FB posting to a group about one thing and everyone wants to know why he wants to do that, or giving advice on how to do something else. So maddening!

So, how do you reg something out of state? Oregon makes you have title in hand or you have to do a shady lien sale. In my case, I drove back into CA with a stack of papers and my CA Vin verification and got Title Only for $46.

Also found out if you are getting Title only in CA theres no sales tax.

Miles

Lou

Hi Miles,
    Let me try to understand correctly:
You own a car currently registered in Oregon and you want to get a CA title?
    My experience a few years back:   I bought a 37 Chevy near Portland.  To
keep it registered in Clackamas County I had the title and registration renewal
mailed to a friend's house in Sandy.  It cost $30 for two years in Oregon.
Several years later he moved so I took my Oregon title to a Californian DMV
and paid $125/year registration + title fees.   There was no tax as there was no
change of ownership.**   DMV lost all my papers so I had to go back and pay
lost title fees etc, for the paper work the DMV lost.   Ca DMV will not give me
a clear title cuz I can't give them a second original Oregon title.  (I have since made
xeroxes of every paper I entrust to the DMV.)   **If you buy a new car in Oregon
and register it in Ca, you have to pay Sales tax of what ever your local municipality
decides to charge.  (For example: Emeryville and El Cerrito have different sales tax
so you know which Home Depot I frequent.)
    Good luck,            Lou