Looking for a Mileage recorder

Bruce Dewing

I'm looking for a thingamabob that attaches to the sun visor for recording mileage.  A mechanical counter or paper wheel thing?  My wife's 61 VW doesn't have a fuel gauge (it was an option tho) so you have to use the floorboard reserve switch when running low on gas.  Not wanting a logbook or one of those circular slide rules for mileage.  I don't know what to call it to search ebay properly.

Thanks,
Bruce
Grass Valley, CA

Ken Nelson

How about an app for your phone Bruce?   They have speedo apps for phones - better than dash speedo.

Ken

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 9:26 AM Bruce Dewing via groups.io <tralfaz42=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm looking for a thingamabob that attaches to the sun visor for recording mileage.  A mechanical counter or paper wheel thing?  My wife's 61 VW doesn't have a fuel gauge (it was an option tho) so you have to use the floorboard reserve switch when running low on gas.  Not wanting a logbook or one of those circular slide rules for mileage.  I don't know what to call it to search ebay properly.

Thanks,
Bruce
Grass Valley, CA

Bruce Dewing

Ken,
I'm looking for something period correct, so smart phones are out.

Bruce

On Friday, December 11, 2020, 9:39:25 AM PST, Ken Nelson <citbuff@...> wrote:

How about an app for your phone Bruce?   They have speedo apps for phones - better than dash speedo.

Ken

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 9:26 AM Bruce Dewing via groups.io <tralfaz42=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm looking for a thingamabob that attaches to the sun visor for recording mileage.  A mechanical counter or paper wheel thing?  My wife's 61 VW doesn't have a fuel gauge (it was an option tho) so you have to use the floorboard reserve switch when running low on gas.  Not wanting a logbook or one of those circular slide rules for mileage.  I don't know what to call it to search ebay properly.

Thanks,
Bruce
Grass Valley, CA

Ken Nelson

If that's the case, what IS period correct?  I;ve never heard of a paper wheel, or anything other than a period Halda rally chronometer?  And they're not going to be cheap unless digital doohickeys have outmoded and are cheaper than the mechanical ones.   Only other period correct pc might be a trailing odometer wheel like they used to use back in the day as more accurate than an original odo -

Ken

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 9:48 AM Bruce Dewing via groups.io <tralfaz42=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Keith Murphy

Look on thesamba.com - there not cheap, being a plastic counter you dial up yourself

On Dec 11, 2020, at 9:26 AM, Bruce Dewing via groups.io <tralfaz42@...> wrote:

I'm looking for a thingamabob that attaches to the sun visor for recording mileage.  A mechanical counter or paper wheel thing?  My wife's 61 VW doesn't have a fuel gauge (it was an option tho) so you have to use the floorboard reserve switch when running low on gas.  Not wanting a logbook or one of those circular slide rules for mileage.  I don't know what to call it to search ebay properly.

Thanks,
Bruce
Grass Valley, CA

Craig Parada

Vintage mileage counter (much fancier than the gizmo we had back when):

On Dec 11, 2020, at 10:47, Keith Murphy via groups.io <Keithddl527@...> wrote:

[...]

David Russel

And you have to love the English/German. Go / Fahrt

On Dec 11, 2020, at 11:43 AM, Craig Parada <craig.parada@...> wrote:

Not cheap, but looks good:

On Dec 11, 2020, at 9:26 AM, Bruce Dewing via groups.io <tralfaz42=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I'm looking for a thingamabob that attaches to the sun visor for recording mileage.  A mechanical counter or paper wheel thing?  My wife's 61 VW doesn't have a fuel gauge (it was an option tho) so you have to use the floorboard reserve switch when running low on gas.  Not wanting a logbook or one of those circular slide rules for mileage.  I don't know what to call it to search ebay properly.

Thanks,
Bruce
Grass Valley, CA

Fred Cisin

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020, Bruce Dewing via groups.io wrote:
I'm looking for a thingamabob that attaches to the sun visor for recording mileage.  A mechanical counter or paper wheel thing?  My wife's 61 VW doesn't have a fuel gauge (it was an option tho) so you have to use the floorboard reserve switch when running low on gas.  Not wanting a logbook or one of those circular slide rules for mileage.  I don't know what to call it to search ebay properly.
I used to (and therefore not any help) have one that clipped on my visor that was flat, red and white plastic with several wheels that you turned to set the mileage.
Can NOT find those.

BUT, for something with multiple wheels to set a multi-digit number, . . .
Consider a Sesame padlock (or imitations, or predecessors). They were patented in 1926! based on ancient chinese puzzle locks. The one piece frame came out in 1980, so it will take some looking to find one that is actually from the right period.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124384125733 is what I was looking for for you, but I couldn't find any on eBay that had NUMBERS.

So, here are some others to consider:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114561847992
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254725304800
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373381230934
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274548398449
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284109705178
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324410625668
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224256932400

Bruce Dewing

Fred,

I like your thinking out of the box.  I think I actually have the Sesamee lock on a bicycle.  I've ordered the Chinese lock cause it's weird.  Thank you.

Craig,
Wow, you hit it right on the head, This is just perfect.  If only there was a version in English for American cars.  Although the Samba ad has nos counters, I'm suspicious of 60 year old plastic (and it's $90).

Bruce

On Friday, December 11, 2020, 1:14:27 PM PST, Fred Cisin <cisin@...> wrote:

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020, Bruce Dewing via groups.io wrote:

> I'm looking for a thingamabob that attaches to the sun visor for
> recording mileage.  A mechanical counter or paper wheel thing?  My
> wife's 61 VW doesn't have a fuel gauge (it was an option tho) so you
> have to use the floorboard reserve switch when running low on gas.  Not
> wanting a logbook or one of those circular slide rules for mileage.  I
> don't know what to call it to search ebay properly.

I used to (and therefore not any help) have one that clipped on my visor
that was flat, red and white plastic with several wheels that you
turned to set the mileage.
Can NOT find those.

BUT, for something with multiple wheels to set a multi-digit number, . . .
Consider a Sesame padlock (or imitations, or predecessors).  They were
patented in 1926!  based on ancient chinese puzzle locks.  The one piece
frame came out in 1980, so it will take some looking to find one that is
actually from the right period.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124384125733 is what I was looking for for you,
but I couldn't find any on eBay that had NUMBERS.

So, here are some others to consider:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114561847992
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254725304800
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373381230934
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274548398449
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284109705178
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324410625668
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224256932400

Fred Cisin

There are a lot of them on eBay. Some are incredibly cheap. But, I couldn't find any of the gorgeous Chinese ones that had numbers on the wheels.

On a very casual look, all of the actual Sesame branded ones, and the bike locks, were 1980s or newer, which is when they became popular.

The Russian one LOOKS older.

BTW, on my old VWs (NOT trying to "restore" nor keep original), I switched over to gas gauge but kept the two position bottom tap. On my VW pickup, I also had a 20 gaallon american car tank in the same compartment, on top of the stock tank (on type 2 (bus/pickup) the gauge was electric and the tank valve was cable operated). A friend did the same, but switched the engine to 2180cc with type 3 electronic fool injection.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred cisin@xenosoft.com