I seldom have posted directly to this group. One time I did resulted in me selling my Singer Roadster and my beloved '66 VW 23 window sunroof bus I'd owned for 32 years

Stephen Cooper

Well, it time for me to ask for help.  As some of you are aware, I became the first man in the world to drive 4000 miles across the USA in a 4 door, 3 wheel, 2 cylinder, 1 headlight Chinese car in June 2014.  While I was doing that, my friend Luke was in the process of driving around the world in a 20's car.  When he got back I interviewed him and posted the interview on YouTube under the title "he drove 16,000 miles in a westerly direction".  You can find it today if you merely type that into Google.  Anyway, the reason for my post tonight is to try to find a mechanic who would enjoy working on some of the weirdest cars around.  None of the shops who profess to work on "foreign cars" will work on anything that is not listed in Pep-boys parts catalogue.

So, even though Dick Tuttle has the smallest car in the world, (I've toured the Isle of Man twice), I have no less than 4 Chinese built cars, one 3 wheeled Reliant Rialto, one MG Midget, 2 Smart car convertibles (a 2013 gas and a 2014 electric), my 1970 VW single cab pickup which I bought in October '84 with 68k miles on it. (it just turned a bit over 100k miles) and the motor has never been touched aside from valve adjustments every 3k miles/ditto oil changes.  I've had my '87 Honda Helix scooter since 2009 and now it has all of 7500 miles on it. My 2 Miles ZX40 LSV electric cars are on non-op since all 12 AGM lead acid batteries gave up back in 2012.  I still have my red Miata with the shark's teeth in front, albeit the car is red/white/blue stripes since it carried Uncle Sam in the 2018 San Jose 4th of July parade. The video of that featuring the Car Guy interviewing me can be found on You Tube also. My luxurious Chrysler Town and Country took my cat and I to 9 states and up to the Canadian  border back in June 2017. (he did not have his passport so we could not enter).

I just finished 6 days of touring Marin and Mendocino counties in 1915 and 1925 Model T Fords last week.  Last month we toured through Yosemite and you have not lived until you've been served prime rib in the Ahwahnee Hotel in a cardboard box and eaten it with plastic silverware..........definitely an experience to remember.

Now back to the reason for my lengthy post.  I'm searching for the old fashioned mechanic who would love to work on peculiar vehicles because he loves things mechanical and would enjoy finding ways to do something with vehicles you cannot jog down to pep-boys to obtain parts.  I am totally willing to PAY for the work, I'm not looking for a handout.  Just someone who loves mechanic-ing.

My 2012 Chinese car's rubber fuel line has rotted away, and the door sealing rubbers have shrunk and the thin thin paint has rusted off the roof.
My 2009 Chinese car's headlights went out and so the electric wiring and Chinese fuses led me to parking that in a garage years ago.
My 1984 Reliant Rialto apparently blew a head gasket a few years ago so its also stored in a garage........I really do miss driving that car!  It won a 3' tall perpetual  trophy for Best of Show in May 2013 in Yorkshire, England where I bought it and shipped it here later that year.
My 1970 long bed VW truck's bed has rusted away and needs either replacement metal welded in OR a nice sheet of diamond plate aluminum fastened securely over the original bed on top and down in the storage compartment underneath the main bed.
The 2007 and 2011 Miles electric cars each only have about 1200 miles apiece on them, but all they need is new batteries.  They too are stored indoors since 2012.
The 1996 Miata was purchased in '98 with 22k miles and it now has all of 60k miles........it needs a fresh red/white/blue striped paint job.
 Okay, I'll probably get chewed out for this long winded post, but just put it down to my 2nd or 3rd post since the inception of the Arcane group got started.

Oh, one last important thing..............I'm looking hard and fast for a utility trailer / car hauler with which I can transport a 108 year old car that weighs about 1500 lbs.  An Aluma 6 x 12 would do since those only weigh about 650 lbs,  but anything under 1000 lbs would work also.  An covered trailer would be far better, but the higher weight would negate my ability to pull it with my 4 liter V6 Minivan..

UNLESS there is someone in the Society who has a trailer I could borrow when I need to take my cars on tours .............:-)

oobowls signing off.

Keith Murphy

You need a museum curator with skill set of a fabricator, painter, mechanic, machinist , please post a yearly salary, and do say if you offer medical and dental, are you progressive  union shop?

On Jun 8, 2021, at 10:06 PM, Stephen Cooper <oobowls@...> wrote:

[...]

Matthew Spielberg

Stephen, one of the joys / horrors of the Arcane car is that most folks are not in this for the money, and recognize that it takes a bit of a nut to spend big bucks on a car which had little or no value when new, and with few exceptions, are not good "investments".

You have some simple problems, and some not simple problems.

The Chinese car with the single non-working headlight is one quick afternoon and very few dollars. The rotted fuel line on the other car is also a simple fix, with Pep Boys parts.

The Rialto takes more time, and you have to be able to supply the new head gasket and associated parts...and you have to be prepared to remove the head to find that the problem is not the head gasket. If you are lucky, you remove the head, have it surfaced and a valve job done by almost any automotive machine shop, and put it back together.

As to paint on the Chinese car...unless the car brings you joy, you have to do a value analysis. What is the car worth on the open market with bad paint, and what is the car worth on the open market with good paint. And then you make decisions.

The Miles electrics are a different story. Miles declared bankruptcy, parts and support disappeared.  AGM batteries are available at a cost. And then you have to take an unemotional look at what you have when you are finished. But from a dollars and cents point of view, you have to look at whether a perfect car with new batteries can either "bring you joy" or bring you dollars upon resale.

You may be in luck on the VW front. They are actually in demand, and body parts are available. If you "restore" the thing you could have the pleasure of driving it, and then passing it on to a new owner and perhaps even get your investment back.

The Miata: I love them, but Edmunds says that the value ranges from $445 to $2223. But you would have a hard time getting a decent paint job for less than $1500.

On 6/8/2021 10:06 PM, Stephen Cooper wrote:
[...]

Larry Sacks

I know someone who might be interested but he is asking if you can clarify what you mean by ‘you’re willing to pay for the work?’

“My shop rate is $85 per hour.  I can sometimes lower it a bit.”  If that price fits his budget, I have more questions.