Topics

Hydraulic lines

600miles

I made all new brake lines myself for my Powells and Honda 600s. After years fighting with a Sears tool I bought a Lisle - what a great tool. It makes bubble and double flare types.

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application

David Russel

Miles,

What is it about the Lisle that makes it good?  What is the difference between a single and double flare?  Don't have any experience with making flares but might be doing so in the future and nice to know a little about it in advance.

Thanks,
David

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 9:24 AM 600miles <z600miles@...> wrote:
I made all new brake lines myself for my Powells and Honda 600s. After years fighting with a Sears tool I bought a Lisle - what a great tool. It makes bubble and double flare types.

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application

Scott Davis

Years ago, I had a non-mechanic (IT) roommate whom I introduced to mechanical repair. He got to use my snap on socket wrenches. Later, his new wife bought him a Craftsman set as a Christmas present.

Now, he understands why I am willing to pay the same amount for used but high quality tools than I am for new but lower quality ones.

What makes a good flaring tool: Tight diametric tolerance and appropriately sharp edges on the grip section.

Scott

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 9:24 AM 600miles <<mailto:z600miles@...>z600miles@...> wrote:
I made all new brake lines myself for my Powells and Honda 600s. After years fighting with a Sears tool I bought a Lisle - what a great tool. It makes bubble and double flare types.

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application

Ken Nelson

David, a single flare is where you put a conical swivel tip on the forming screw, and just make a mini-funnel on the tube end.  A double flare is where the tool forms a larger single funnel end, then a special tool tip folds the oversize funnel's outer edge back into the first funnel, and compresses the folded metal tight back onto itself, creating a double-thick funnel.  A bubble flare creates a hollow bubble for different brakeline joints.  See video below, along with others to learn about the different types of tube ends.  Each is designed for a different pressure standard or whatever local rules are.

The details of each type joint need to be precise to work best, which is why you want precision tools with sharp edges, accurate dimensions and quality dies which form the flares - that's why HF versions of these types of tools just don't cut it.  Lisle is an excellent supplier of line tools.

Ken

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 3:38 PM David Russel <djrussel@...> wrote:
Miles,

What is it about the Lisle that makes it good?  What is the difference between a single and double flare?  Don't have any experience with making flares but might be doing so in the future and nice to know a little about it in advance.

Thanks,
David

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 9:24 AM 600miles <z600miles@...> wrote:
I made all new brake lines myself for my Powells and Honda 600s. After years fighting with a Sears tool I bought a Lisle - what a great tool. It makes bubble and double flare types.

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application

600miles

David,

Go watch YouTube & Eastwood vids. I could spend hours answering your 2 questions.

Miles