Honda Civic Parts

Lou

Hi All,
    Does anyone know a source for 1973 - 79 Honda
front brake calipers?
    To me, this is a new vehicle that should have parts
available.   Most auto parts places still carry front wheel
cylinders for my 37 Chevys.
        Thanks,            Lou

Scott Davis

Caliper rebuild kits are available on Rockauto for less than $2 each if that helps.

Scott

At 12:31 AM 4/28/2021, you wrote:
Hi All,           Â
   Does anyone know a source for 1973 - 79 Honda  Â
front brake calipers? Â Â Â Â
   To me, this is a new vehicle that should have parts  Â
available.  Most auto parts places still carry front wheel     Â
cylinders for my 37 Chevys.       Â
      Thanks,         Lou          Â

600miles

Call the shop I used to work for in santa clara, Foreign Affair. 408 727 4884.

I have 10 rebuild kits on ebay for early civics.

Miles

David Russel

Sounds like Lou is looking for the front Calipers, not rebuild kits.  At least that's the impression I got from his email.
David

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 9:44 AM 600miles <z600miles@...> wrote:
Call the shop I used to work for in santa clara, Foreign Affair. 408 727 4884.

I have 10 rebuild kits on ebay for early civics.

Miles

sri welaratna

Does Rockauto not offer these parts? Or is Rockauto only for philistines?

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021, 9:47 AM, David Russel <djrussel@...> wrote:

Sounds like Lou is looking for the front Calipers, not rebuild kits.  At least that's the impression I got from his email.
David

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 9:44 AM 600miles <z600miles@...> wrote:
Call the shop I used to work for in santa clara, Foreign Affair. 408 727 4884.

I have 10 rebuild kits on ebay for early civics.

Miles

Lou

Hi  Scott,
    I'll try Rock Auto again.
Last time I looked to them for parts,
I could tell by they had listed one part
for more vehicles than it really fit.
    They have them listed but they are
"Out of Stock".
    Thanks for the reply,            Lou                 .

At 12:31 AM 4/28/2021, you wrote:
Hi All,              Â
    Does anyone know a source for 1973 - 79 Honda  Â
front brake calipers?     Â
    To me, this is a new vehicle that should have parts  Â
available.   Most auto parts places still carry front wheel     Â
cylinders for my 37 Chevys.          Â
        Thanks,            Lou             Â

sujit roy

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 12:29 AM, Lou wrote:
Does anyone know a source for 1973 - 79 Honda
front brake calipers?

Hello Lou,
I'm on a Honda forum. Can you give me more details like model? I can post there for you. Usually, folks on these forums can tell you how to turbo charge it or how to lower it and not much more, but let's see.

Sujit

Fred Cisin

In the USA market, 1973 had only one model, the 1973 Honda Civic 1200.
Well, yes, there were both sedans and hatchbacks, but that didn't change the front brake pads.
So, "1973 USA model Honda Civic 1200" would be an appropriate designation.

I'm not sure which, if any, other models used the same calipers, or what else could be adapted to fit.

I think that OUTSIDE of USA, the Honda Z600 (a wondrous 1970-1972 parallel twin motorcycle style air-cooled engine), etc. were still available for a while. But, that's not what he needs.

In 1974, the Civic 1200, got more extended bumpers.
Can you sit on the bumper? NO? It's a 1973; Yes, but not comfortably, it's a 1974.

In 1975, Honda came out with the CVCC ("Compund Vortex Controlled Combustion") Civic, that used a stratified charge, with a thimble auxiliary combustion chamber.
That thimble rotating out of alignment was a problem.
There is a "CVCC" emblem on the fender.
Outside of California, the NON-CVCC 1200 models remained available.
In fact, in Canada, even the later Accord was available as a NON-CVCC!

In 1976, they made significant changes to the heads to improve the CVCC system. Noticeably changing the intake/exhaust valve positions.
In 1976 and 1977, they had major problems with head gaskets blowing. Like the Previa, the primary symptom was coolant leaking into combustion chamber while cooling, AFTER shutting down, with massive clouds of coolant steam on first startup in the morning. Initial recognition of the problem was delayed by "common wisdom" of checking for exhaust in coolant (hot leakage), rather than the cooldown leakage. Honda funded engine overhauls, and also switched to a teflon gasket, and different head bolts.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred cisin@xenosoft.com

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021, sujit roy via groups.io wrote:

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 12:29 AM, Lou wrote:

Does anyone know a source for 1973 - 79 Honda
front brake calipers?
Hello Lou,
I'm on a Honda forum. Can you give me more details like model? I can post there for you. Usually, folks on these forums can tell you how to turbo charge it or how to lower it and not much more, but let's see.

Sujit

sujit roy

Hello Fred,
Are you looking for the Honda parts or someone else?

I'm on this forum. I have a Honda minvan

There's a guy on that forum. Can you please give me your direct contact info. I will reply to him. This is wha this guy says

At the TOP of this Forum, there are lists of places and people that are buying and selling various parts.

Where have you looked so far? Do they need to be new? Do you need both? Etc.

I might have both from a '76.-- used. I'm in Colorado. Exactly what part(s) do you need?

Picture or diagram would help.

---------------------
Sujit Roy
(408) 839-8359
sujitroy@...

On Thursday, April 29, 2021, 03:36:10 PM PDT, Fred Cisin <cisin@...> wrote:

In the USA market, 1973 had only one model, the 1973 Honda Civic 1200.
Well, yes, there were both sedans and hatchbacks, but that didn't change
the front brake pads.
So, "1973 USA model Honda Civic 1200" would be an appropriate designation.

I'm not sure which, if any, other models used the same calipers, or what
else could be adapted to fit.

I think that OUTSIDE of USA, the Honda Z600 (a wondrous 1970-1972 parallel
twin motorcycle style air-cooled engine), etc. were still available for a
while.  But, that's not what he needs.

In 1974, the Civic 1200, got more extended bumpers.
Can you sit on the bumper?  NO?  It's a 1973;  Yes, but not comfortably,
it's a 1974.

In 1975, Honda came out with the CVCC ("Compund Vortex Controlled
Combustion") Civic, that used a stratified charge, with a thimble
auxiliary combustion chamber.
That thimble rotating out of alignment was a problem.
There is a "CVCC" emblem on the fender.
Outside of California, the NON-CVCC 1200 models remained available.
In fact, in Canada, even the later Accord was available as a NON-CVCC!

In 1976, they made significant changes to the heads to improve the CVCC
system.  Noticeably changing the intake/exhaust valve positions.
In 1976 and 1977, they had major problems with head gaskets blowing.  Like
the Previa, the primary symptom was coolant leaking into combustion
chamber while cooling, AFTER shutting down, with massive clouds of
coolant steam on first startup in the morning.  Initial recognition of the
problem was delayed by "common wisdom" of checking for exhaust in coolant
(hot leakage), rather than the cooldown leakage.  Honda funded engine
overhauls, and also switched to a teflon gasket, and different head bolts.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred            cisin@...

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021, sujit roy via groups.io wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 12:29 AM, Lou wrote:
>

>> Does anyone know a source for 1973 - 79 Honda
>> front brake calipers?
>
> Hello Lou,
> I'm on a Honda forum. Can you give me more details like model? I can post there for you. Usually, folks on these forums can tell you how to turbo charge it or how to lower it and not much more, but let's see.
>
> Sujit

Fred Cisin

Thank you, but,
No, it's not me. It is Lou
It is likely to be his Civic that is converted into an electric car.
If he says 1973 Civic, he is presumably correct, and that IS enough to unambiguously identify that model. BUT, as I mentioned, I don't know which other models could interchange the calipers.

I worked on Hondas in the 1970s. That was when I met Lou.
But, I am currently driving a Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

--

On Thu, 13 May 2021, sujit roy via groups.io wrote:

Hello Fred,Are you looking for the Honda parts or someone else?
I'm on this forum. I have a Honda minvan

1973 Honda Civic 1200 brake calibers needed - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

| |
1973 Honda Civic 1200 brake calibers needed - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum D...

Classic Hondas - 1973 Honda Civic 1200 brake calibers needed - I'm helping out a buddy on another forum. Are the...

---------------------Sujit Roy(408) 839-8359sujitroy@yahoo.com

On Thursday, April 29, 2021, 03:36:10 PM PDT, Fred Cisin <cisin@xenosoft.com> wrote:

[...]

Hi Sujit,
    Thanks for looking.    I believe that 1973 - 79
Civics have the same Calipers.   Miles just rebuild
my old calipers so I'm good for now.   (Don't know
how something so greasy can also be so rusty!)
    Approximately 96% of braking is via Regen so I
don't notice lack of service brakes till I have to wait
at a light.   I pull E-brake to hold in place.
    I have been unable to find a Marque club for Hondas,
much less any parts.   I guess most people recycle them
cuz carbs are impossible to rebuild as are "Torque-to-
-Yield" head bolts.
        Thanks again,        Lou

        .

On 5/13/2021 3:14 PM, Fred Cisin wrote:
Thank you, but,
No, it's not me.  It is Lou
It is likely to be his Civic that is converted into an electric car.
If he says 1973 Civic, he is presumably correct, and that IS enough to unambiguously identify that model.   BUT, as I mentioned, I don't know which other models could interchange the calipers.

I worked on Hondas in the 1970s.  That was when I met Lou.
But, I am currently driving a Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred             cisin@...

On Thu, 13 May 2021, sujit roy via groups.io wrote:

Hello Fred,Are you looking for the Honda parts or someone else?
I'm on this forum. I have a Honda minvan

1973 Honda Civic 1200 brake calibers needed - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

|  |
[...]

It's a done deal. He mailed me some really horrible looking cores and I worked my magic. Parts are cheap on Rock Auto, about $90 for name brand parts and a billion hours labor lol.

sujit roy

I rebuilt some Triumph Stag calipers. I soaked them in Evapo rust for a few days. Came out very clean. they weren't however as rusty as those.
I'd recommend Lou joining a Honda forum.

Sujit

---------------------
Sujit Roy
(408) 839-8359
sujitroy@...

On Friday, May 14, 2021, 08:49:15 AM PDT, 600miles <z600miles@...> wrote:

It's a done deal. He mailed me some really horrible looking cores and I worked my magic. Parts are cheap on Rock Auto, about $90 for name brand parts and a billion hours labor lol.

600miles

when I worked at Foreign Affair in Santa Clara I had a 79 Civic. I was lucky when Honda offered crate motors for $500. I also rebuilt my carb, myself, even though people said it was difficult. Not sure what their problem is. Honda has a great float adjust as I recall, just turn a screw to adjust til it floods then turn back other way. I love carbs and brake rebuilds.

Pics: Isetta carb, Powell carb (ball & ball 1941)

Fred Cisin

I can understand some people having some difficulty with the CVCC carburetor. But, not quite "impossible".

OTOH, the Civic 1200 (the NON-CVCC models that included 1973, 1974, and NON-California 1200 models), are very simple and straight forward, and there was once an adapter for using a Holley-Weber! I think that Miles got my Holley-Weber, that might or might not have had that adapter.

I understand that Redline distributed some.

Similarly, the 1200s did not need the special retrofit head bolts that Honda came up with for their blown head gaskets on 1976- CVCC heads.

Some very sparse inadequate anecdotal info:
A friend had a Non-California 1979? Civic 1200, that was similar to the California 1973, 1974 1200s.
The Canadian NON-CVCC Accord, however had manifolds and head very similar to the CVCC, except for non-existence of the auxiliary combustion chamber.