Topics

Help with registering a car in California

sujit roy

I got a Triumph Stag as a parts car. It was too good to part out and over the years I was able to get enough parts to get it running.
I have some paperwork for it as it was sold under a lien. I never registered it.
I would like to register this car now in CA. How do I go about registering it and what is the process?
I've had the car for many years and am hoping to avoid any penalties for not registering the car even under the PNO status.
Any advice appreciated.
Regards, Sujit

Matthew Spielberg

At least 2 ways to go, depending on what the DMV thinks is the status of the title.

If you have all of the lien sale documents showing that you purchased the vehicle, and are the owner, and the vehicle is on non-op status, then take the whole pile of paper to the DMV and put it into your name. You will just pay normal fees for the transfer.

Alternatively, if it is not on non-op status (in their computer), I have walked into the DMV with a declaration stating I own this, it has not been on the road in 10 years, I bought it and resurrected it, there are no liens against it, and I want title. You probably would have to do a VIN verification, and you start with new title. This is what I did for the prior owner of the Fiat 500 which I now own.

I had a whole pile of paperwork for that Fiat 500 brought in from Italy by a military friend. And I mean a whole pile of paper. I walked in with a declaration from the owner, signed by the owner, and walked out with plates. (Note that the declaration by the owner, signed by him, did not say no liens. Woman behind the counter said needs to say "no liens", and had me use a pen to add that language to the declaration, and accepted it. Yeah, she knew that it was not my declaration, already signed. She just wanted to get the transaction finished, and get me out of the line)

On 10/13/2020 11:24 AM, sujit roy via groups.io wrote:
I got a Triumph Stag as a parts car. It was too good to part out and over the years I was able to get enough parts to get it running.
I have some paperwork for it as it was sold under a lien. I never registered it.
I would like to register this car now in CA. How do I go about registering it and what is the process?
I've had the car for many years and am hoping to avoid any penalties for not registering the car even under the PNO status.
Any advice appreciated.
Regards, Sujit

Keith Murphy

1. Ask CA DMV if a “file” exists for your VIN and CA lic plate number.

2. If NO file exists, your VIN and/or CA lic plate are not in file - no fines are due, as no file record exist.

3. Start a new DMV file: start an  application for original title and ownership - you will need a VIN verification done at DMV field office, establish the value of the vehicle for CA tax & DMV fee purposes.

* Bend over, catch your breath, and hope your not dealing with a DMV official who wants to administratively make your day, month and year - just ask for all your paperwork back and regroup and go to another DMV field office, yourself having fixed any mistakes that might have been brought to light by your first close encounter of the DMV kind ...

On Oct 13, 2020, at 11:24 AM, sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy@...> wrote:

I got a Triumph Stag as a parts car. It was too good to part out and over the years I was able to get enough parts to get it running.
I have some paperwork for it as it was sold under a lien. I never registered it.
I would like to register this car now in CA. How do I go about registering it and what is the process?
I've had the car for many years and am hoping to avoid any penalties for not registering the car even under the PNO status.
Any advice appreciated.
Regards, Sujit

David Russel

Having had a manager (not the clerk who was being very helpful, accommodating, and about to approve when her manager overheard part of our conversation and came over to check out the paperwork) reject the verification done by the DMV verifier at her location, I suggest getting the verification done by the CHP.  When the DMV manager rejected her own co-workers verification I asked what would be acceptable and she said she would accept it from the CHP.  On request she gave me the CHP phone number she had on file and as I recall the call went thru without any exhausting phone menu tree BS.  The inspecting officer invited me to come over and said he'd try to fit me in between his appointments and when I arrived his next appointment was late and he took me immediately.  He laughed at the DMV's CYA refusal, looked the car over noting chassis # and Data plate information, and signed off on the verification.  Back at the DMV with the CHP approval it all went smoothly.

Not saying that other locations and different players will also reject their in-house verifier, but having it done by CHP will give you an edge.
David

On Oct 13, 2020, at 11:24 AM, sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I got a Triumph Stag as a parts car. It was too good to part out and over the years I was able to get enough parts to get it running.
I have some paperwork for it as it was sold under a lien. I never registered it.
I would like to register this car now in CA. How do I go about registering it and what is the process?
I've had the car for many years and am hoping to avoid any penalties for not registering the car even under the PNO status.
Any advice appreciated.
Regards, Sujit

Matthew Spielberg

We also more recently had the DMV in Sacramento reject a DMV VIN verification.

The back of the VIN verification form has lots of exceptions to what "VIN verifiers," other than the CHP can do. REG 31 is the form.

Also note that, if you are taking an out of state vehicle in for a VIN verification, (and maybe others) that CHP office must be in the county in which you intend to register the vehicle. The idea is that, if the verifier finds a problem, like a stolen vehicle, you will not be allowed to drive off in that vehicle.

So if you intend to register in a "no smog" county, (where you happen to have your summer castle), you need the CHP to be in that county.

BTW, needed to VIN verify 4 Toyotas, all with incorrect years. CHP in Castro Valley actually did a house call.

On 10/13/2020 12:50 PM, David Russel wrote:
[...]

Also note that the manager may have been doing you a favor. Sacramento may have bounced the completed paperwork at a later time. Had it happen.

[...]

Her intent was clearly CYA, hers not mine. The issue was checking the box for “numbers on paperwork do not match vehicle “ in order to change from using the engine # as VIN to using chassis #   Simple and straightforward correction as chassis # was embossed in body parts and on mfg data tag.

On Oct 13, 2020, at 1:56 PM, Matthew Spielberg <mspielberg@...> wrote:

[...]

Last night I  looked over all the papers I got with the car. It was registered in CA. The document shows a license expiration date of 09/08/91. I got the car either in May or June of 2013.
I also found a registration card with the owner's name. It seems the registered owner didn't pay a fee for towing and storage and hence the lien sale.
I'd like to avoid going back and forth to DMV. Mentioned in this email trail, go and get verification of the car by CHP. Based on the papers I have, should I still do this and how do I go about involving the CHP? Will an officer come to my house?
Also mentioned,  I need to take the car to a DMV verification place, how do I do this? Do I get it towed there? It's not registered and it doesn't have a license plate. However, the papers show it had a license plate of 1RUS067.
Thanks in advance.
Sujit

Matthew Spielberg

If you go to CHP for VIN verification, the car does not have to go to DMV.

Call the CHP office near you, tell them that you need a VIN verification. I got a nice guy who did a house call, but that was above the beyond the call of duty.

You can get a one day moving permit to drive it to CHP, or trailer it to CHP

On 10/14/2020 10:06 AM, sujit roy via groups.io wrote:
[...]

This should be fairly easy, after the VIN verification has been done. They will require that you apply for new registration, a new plate, all on declaration on their forms.

I do not understand the prior mention of non-op status. If that was done, then you are golden.

On 10/14/2020 10:19 AM, Matthew Spielberg wrote:

[...]

Fred Cisin

If PLANNED Non-Op was done, then it is covered only for the time that that was done. All years OTHER than that will have delinquent fees.

I remember when Non-Op was indefinite, and/or could be done retroactively (fill in the form saying that it had not been on the road from X date to Y date) But, if there was a change in storage location, had to certify that it didn't touch the ground during transfer.

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020, Matthew Spielberg wrote:

[...]

I didn't transfer title into my name when I got the car back in 2013. It was originally bought for parts. However, over the years I was able to procure some more parts and it's now running. I'd now like to register it.
I am scared of paying fees and late delinquent fees for not registering when I got it.
Sujit

Dave Smith

I once bought a vehicle and was told by the person at the DMV, "This would be a lot easier if you went to the parking lot where the out of state owner is in your car waiting for you and had them sign this line here". Not an exact quote but close.  Keep that in mind, but that is risky.

It sounds like you bought the car that probably hadn't been registered for a while. Odds are good it's no longer in the DMV records. I'd take the paperwork in and don't say anything about 2013. That's for wanting to keep the plates. If you don't care about the plates, writing out a bill of sale with your non-dominant hand should work.

Dave in Sacramento