Topics

Fuel tank cleaning service needed in Cupertino area

sujit roy

I have a Triumph Stag and the very old fuel was drained but has caused sticking and bent valves so I need to have both heads off. (OUCH) I also need to have the tank cleaned.
What is a typical cost of have tank cleaned?
It seems the old fuel is very sticky.
Sujit

Red Fred

I just got a quote from Howard St. Radiator in San Carlos for my Fiat 124 tank; $150 to "slosh" it out, or $350 to really clean it, and seal it, in case it had rust inside.

I have used them in the past, especially for their top secret sealing compound.  However, the fella that made the sealer passed away a few years ago, taking his secret recipe with him.   So I don't know what the coating is these days, and now they seem very expensive.   I opted to purchase a new, repro tank for $150, as my original is pretty crusty inside.   The new tank does NOT have baffles like the original, but it came in 3 days!

HTH, RF.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 10:04 AM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have a Triumph Stag and the very old fuel was drained but has caused sticking and bent valves so I need to have both heads off. (OUCH) I also need to have the tank cleaned.
What is a typical cost of have tank cleaned?
It seems the old fuel is very sticky.
Sujit

Matthew Spielberg

Sugit, as I recall I had a small fuel tank cleaned and sealed at a radiator shop in Hayward area for about $125. But not real sure that I would recommend them. Long ish story. I guess that they could not get the drain plug out without damage, so they cut it out, welded in a new plate, bung and drain plug, without authorization. But no additional charge.

On 11/16/2020 10:04 AM, sujit roy via groups.io wrote:
I have a Triumph Stag and the very old fuel was drained but has caused sticking and bent valves so I need to have both heads off. (OUCH) I also need to have the tank cleaned.
What is a typical cost of have tank cleaned?
It seems the old fuel is very sticky.
Sujit

check with Howard Avenue Radiator and ....  650-595-3540...  They probably still clean tanks, but don't know if they'll seal them.

BTW, I may have some books and magazines dealing with Stags.  would you be interested?  I can pull them and look at titles and such.
David

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 10:04 AM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have a Triumph Stag and the very old fuel was drained but has caused sticking and bent valves so I need to have both heads off. (OUCH) I also need to have the tank cleaned.
What is a typical cost of have tank cleaned?
It seems the old fuel is very sticky.
Sujit

Red Fred

This is the same place I spoke of.

RF.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 10:22 AM David Russel <djrussel@...> wrote:
check with Howard Avenue Radiator and ....  650-595-3540...  They probably still clean tanks, but don't know if they'll seal them.

BTW, I may have some books and magazines dealing with Stags.  would you be interested?  I can pull them and look at titles and such.
David

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 10:04 AM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have a Triumph Stag and the very old fuel was drained but has caused sticking and bent valves so I need to have both heads off. (OUCH) I also need to have the tank cleaned.
What is a typical cost of have tank cleaned?
It seems the old fuel is very sticky.
Sujit

sujit roy

I did call the place in San Carlos. They quoted me the same price for boil and seal.
Unfortunately, new Stag tanks cost double so will plan on having having it done.

Sujit

Keith Murphy

The so called Secret gas tank sealer sauce is and always was :

Typical radiator shops clean your old tank, solder in a drain valve to allow access sealer to drain out of the tank so you don’t have a soggy undried mud puddle stuck in your tank, it’s included as part of the fee.

Then there’s the cut holes in your tank and sandblast the inside, plug the holes steel plugs, then the epoxy inside and outside the tank - it works great, but tanks having plugs drilled in them is perhaps not show quality results - again, if new tanks are available, you have options.

Secret sauce indeed ....

On Nov 16, 2020, at 11:49 AM, sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy@...> wrote:

I did call the place in San Carlos. They quoted me the same price for boil and seal.
Unfortunately, new Stag tanks cost double so will plan on having having it done.

Sujit

Keith Murphy

Gas tank renew link, oops:

On Nov 16, 2020, at 12:13 PM, K2016 <keithddl527@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm hip to RedKote, and others.  We use sealers a lot in the Indian Motorcycle world, where the tanks were soldered together for over 100 years now.   Soldering is a weakness, as it becomes work hardened & brittle.   To add insult to injury, most Indian tanks have a baffle, or separate compartment for the oil.   If we get a leak between the gas, and the oil, it's bad news.  The oil gets diluted, and engine grenades.   Howard Ave. Radiator did have a guy, with his own recipe.   It came out almost like a silver ceramic inside.   I have brought many, MANY tanks there in the past.  I've yet to see anything comparable since the old guy passed.

RF.

On Nov 16, 2020, at 11:49 AM, sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I did call the place in San Carlos. They quoted me the same price for boil and seal.
Unfortunately, new Stag tanks cost double so will plan on having having it done.

Sujit

Ken Nelson

I used POR 15 gastank sealer in 1985 on my '67 Citroen DS21 convertible.  Tank was rusty, with several baffles inside, and the tank was in a car from Chicago, where the chassis rotted to pcs.  I put a Ca. chassis under the body over 7 yrs, but the tank was original.  I filled it with a bag of rough gravel for gardens, shook it around by hand to break loose all the rust, hosed it out and let dry for a week.  Then dumped in POR15 sealer, let it cure, and it's still working just fine 31 yrs later, and here in Detroit.  Never had a problem since.

Ken

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 3:57 PM Red Fred <redfred47@...> wrote:
[...]

Strange; every report on the Indian motorcycle front have deemed this product the WORST.

On the bikes, we really give this shit the  test.

Jus' sayin' RF.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 6:44 PM Ken Nelson <citbuff@...> wrote:
[...]

Scott Davis

A product made in 1985, sold in Detroit, was probably a different chemical formulation

Scott

At 07:12 PM 11/16/2020, you wrote:
Strange; every report on the Indian motorcycle front have deemed this product the WORST.

On the bikes, we really give this shit the test.

Jus' sayin' RF.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 6:44 PM Ken Nelson <<mailto:citbuff@...>citbuff@...> wrote:
I used POR 15 gastank sealer in 1985 on my '67 Citroen DS21 convertible. Tank was rusty, with several baffles inside, and the tank was in a car from Chicago, where the chassis rotted to pcs. I put a Ca. chassis under the body over 7 yrs, but the tank was original. I filled it with a bag of rough gravel for gardens, shook it around by hand to break loose all the rust, hosed it out and let dry for a week. Then dumped in POR15 sealer, let it cure, and it's still working just fine 31 yrs later, and here in Detroit. Never had a problem since. Â

Ken

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 3:57 PM Red Fred <<mailto:redfred47@...>redfred47@...> wrote:
I'm hip to RedKote, and others. We use sealers a lot in the Indian Motorcycle world, where the tanks were soldered together for over 100 years now.  Soldering is a weakness, as it becomes work hardened & brittle.  To add insult to injury, most Indian tanks have a baffle, or separate compartment for the oil.  If we get a leak between the gas, and the oil, it's bad news. The oil gets diluted, and engine grenades.  Howard Ave. Radiator did have a guy, with his own recipe.  It came out almost like a silver ceramic inside.  I have brought many, MANY tanks there in the past. I've yet to see anything comparable since the old guy passed.

RF.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 12:15 PM Keith Murphy via <http://groups.io>groups.io <Keithddl527=<mailto:aol.com@groups.io>aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Gas tank renew link, oops:
<https://www.gastankrenu.com/>https://www.gastankrenu.com/

<http://damonq.com/red-kote.html>http://damonq.com/red-kote.html

Typical radiator shops clean your old tank, solder in a drain valve to allow access sealer to drain out of the tank so you don’t have a soggy undried mud puddle stuck in your tank, it’s included as part of the fee.

Then there’s the cut holes in your tank and sandblast the inside, plug the holes steel plugs, then the epoxy inside and outside the tank - it works great, but tanks having plugs drilled in them is perhaps not show quality results - again, if new tanks are available, you have options.

<http://damonq.com/red-kote.html>http://damonq.com/red-kote.html

Secret sauce indeed ....Â

On Nov 16, 2020, at 11:49 AM, sujit roy via <http://groups.io>groups.io <sujitroy=<mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io>yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I did call the place in San Carlos. They quoted me the same price for boil and seal.
Unfortunately, new Stag tanks cost double so will plan on having having it done.

Sujit

600miles

Por 15 cleaning solution ($30/gallon) is a rip off and is same product as Oil Eater ($5/gallon). I had a Honda 600 Sedan tank boiled and sealed at Polar for $100. But they are out of business. On my Powell i took the tank to a local radiator shop here in town (Medford), they wanted $300. I can buy a new steel original style tank for $150, but still too much for me. I used the Oil Eater and a pressure washer and cleaned it myself. I did not seal it as it was not rusty nor leaky.

Miles

Bill Wilkman

I've used a franchise business called Gas Tank Renu. They cut the tank apart, sandblast the interior, coat it, then weld it up;  I think it cost around $350 and is guaranteed for life.  ABC Radiator is the California franchisee. Here's their contact information:

ABC Radiator
601 S. Wilson Way
Stockton, California 95205
(209) 463-7401
Ed Fortune
Cindy Fortune

I've had two tanks treated and am very satisfied.

Bill Wilkman
Riverside, CA.

[...]

Bryan Pridmore

I had three tanks done by ABC in Stockton. I don’t recall them being more than $250 a piece.

On Nov 17, 2020, at 8:10 AM, Bill Wilkman via groups.io <wilkmanracing@...> wrote:

[...]

I had a friend's '52 Mercedes 220A cabrio tank cleaned & patched by a rad shop somewhere near SJ 3 yrs ago - they had to patch about 3 holes by brazing, and price I think was around $250.   That tank was a mess but came out ok. Think it was a Gastankrenu francise also - seem to remember they used Redkote

Ken