From: Dan Yee fiatdan@... [fiatamerica] <fiatamerica@...>
Date: Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 3:06 PM
Subject: [fiatamerica] Advice on selling a car out-of-state sight unseen.
To: fiatamerica@... <fiatamerica@...>
Cc: Dan Yee <fiatdan@...>

Hi All,
My son-in-law is selling his Porsche Cayman to a out-of-state buyer who is willing to wire money and arrange transportation without personally seeing the car or have it inspected.

My son-in-law will sell his car with a statement that the car is sold "As Is" and will file a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability form with DMV.  Any advice on anything else he needs or should do is appreciated.  I've never bought or sold a car out-of-state so I don't have any experience this type of transaction yet.

There are still plenty of FIATs here in California to tempt me to buy another car.  Just don't mention that to Jane!
Dan Y
.

__,_._,___

Fred Cisin

Keep spare copies of all paperwork that you send.

Make sure that the buyer understands "as-is"
Buyer of my van didn't mind that it wouldn't pass smog.
BUT, after delivery, he complained about the dog hair (in carpets, because I had put seat covers on all seats the week that I had bought it new, and pointed out in the pictures that I had sent)

Do not fall for a Western Union or cashier check scam of excess money wired, and you send back some money.

Set specific times for it to be picked up - you are not a free storage facility.

If it is leaving the state, keep your license plates. Buyer needs to purchase new ones for his state, anyway, and even with the DMV notice of transfer, if they drive it around on your plates, it is a hassle to fight the parking tickets (or APBs)
Get a promise from the buyer that he will transfer/register within x amount of time.

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020, Larry Sacks wrote:

A Fiat America member posted this message.

I'm hoping someone here has some experience with this and can offer some
advice.

Feel free to respond to me if you prefer.

Thanks,

Larry

My son-in-law is selling his Porsche Cayman to a out-of-state buyer who is
willing to wire money and arrange transportation without personally seeing
the car or have it inspected.

My son-in-law will sell his car with a statement that the car is sold "As
Is" and will file a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability form with
DMV. Any advice on anything else he needs or should do is appreciated.
I've never bought or sold a car out-of-state so I don't have any experience
this type of transaction yet.

There are still plenty of FIATs here in California to tempt me to buy
another car. Just don't mention that to Jane!
Dan Y
.

__,_._,___

---J W

I have bought and sold many vehicles before but I am afraid of what he is doing! There are many scams going on and “sight unseen, wire money is just one! Be sure the cash is in your hand and you are out of the bank before releasing your vehicle! Your car sounds pretty expensive and the buyer should want to get it checked out by known mechanic before releasing his cash! And you should have cash (green) I hand before giving up your car! It is cheap to fly out to see the car and bring cash and turn it down if he does not like it! Even offer to pay his return flight if he is unhappy with the deal. . .but get the actual cash(green) before releasing your car!!! Best advice I can offer—Beware!

On Jul 17, 2020, at 5:14 PM, Larry Sacks <LMSacks@...> wrote:

[...]

Lou

Hi Larry,
    Every time I've had or heard of a deal like this,
IT'S A SCAM!
The "out of state {most likely country} buyer"
sends you a check for too much as they don't know
the exact cost of the tow.   You give them a refund
check before you discover their check bounced.
Variables:  The tow truck driver does or doesn't
show to get the vehicle.  The phone number appears
to be a continental US number but is in an island near
Florida which uses US numbers but not in the US.
    Most of the time, they don't even bother to get the
car.   Even tho banks can instantaneously email the other
bank, they wait 14 days to give the crooks a chance
and charge you a rubber check fee.
    If you have the rare occasion that's it legit,   have
a friend (or trusted fellow in FIAT club) who lives
in the city where it's going make sure there is a real
person who knows of the sale.       .
    If you report it to the police, they won't do squat cuz
it's outside their jurisdiction.
            Good luck,            Lou

On 7/17/2020 5:14 PM, Larry Sacks wrote:
[...]

A story that has gone around many times:

Price is $10,000
Buyer says, here's a cashier's check for $12,000; you can write me a check for $2,000. Maybe there's a little extra for the inconvenience.
Seller's bank says "looks good".
Account is up $12,000, and the car is gone.
$2,000 check clears same day (that was FAST!)
Account is still up $10,000
Almost two weeks later, seller's bank says, "The issuing bank of that cashier's check says it is bogus"; we've taken the $12,000 out of your account. You are overdrawn, and there is an overdraft penalty.
Seller says, "But you said it was good!"
Bank says, "Out of our hands."
Account is down $2,000, car is gone, and bank wants hundreds in overdraft and recovery fees.

REALITY CHECK: Do you think that seller has any recourse?
Bank says, "not OUR problem, the cashier's check was bogus. It is YOUR problem to find the buyer."

At least see the buyer's driver's license.
If you take cash, change it right away, and find out if it is good.