eMail hacked-Not mine

David Russel

Hi all,

It looks like Dick Tuttle’s AOL email acct has been hacked.

I got a “hope you are well. Can you do me a favor?” Email which made
me suspicious.

Called him and he had not sent it.

Thank you David. And I responded.

On 4/20/2022 10:15 AM, David Russel wrote:
Hi all,

It looks like Dick Tuttle’s AOL email acct has been hacked.

I got a “hope you are well. Can you do me a favor?” Email which made
me suspicious.

Called him and he had not sent it.

Fred Cisin

It is just as unlikely that his email account got hacked as it is that somebody hacked YOURS to send it to you.

If the scoundrels have a list of email addresses that might know each other (such as conversations in an almost public email group), they choose one from the list to send to, and another from the list to put in the FROM: line. There is an app to do that.

It is no harder to lie about who an email is from than it is for snail mail. I got a piece of snail mail with a return address of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Wash DC. Should I contact the secret service and speculate that terrists have taken over the Whitehouse mailroom? (BTW, the postmark was New Jersey, and the email asked me to urgently said a donation to a POBox)

Then, the scoundrels take another name from the list for another fake return address, and send the email to another name on the list.

If they get a list from an email group, they have plenty of addresses to send the scam from and to. Why would they put in the effort to "hack" Dick Tuttle's AOL email acct? Unless you think that Dick Tuttle's AOL email acct address book is the only place that they could have gotten your address and the hint that the two of you might know each other.
They do not need to invade the Whitehouse mailroom to send out fake emails that purport to be from there.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022, David Russel wrote:

Hi all,

It looks like Dick Tuttle’s AOL email acct has been hacked.

I got a “hope you are well. Can you do me a favor?” Email which made
me suspicious.

Called him and he had not sent it.

Fred,

you certainly know more about the landscape than I do, but at least I recognized the email as not being legitimate.  Should have said that and nothing about hacking.  I have not gotten the follow up request to send anyone a gift card...yet, something I'd never do

David

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 11:18 AM Fred Cisin <cisin@...> wrote:
It is just as unlikely that his email account got hacked as it is that
somebody hacked YOURS to send it to you.

If the scoundrels have a list of email addresses that might know each
other (such as conversations in an almost public email group), they choose
one from the list to send to, and another from the list to put in the
FROM: line.   There is an app to do that.

It is no harder to lie about who an email is from than it is for snail
mail.  I got a piece of snail mail with a return address of 1600
Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Wash DC.  Should I contact the secret service and
speculate that terrists have taken over the Whitehouse mailroom?  (BTW,
the postmark was New Jersey, and the email asked me to urgently said a
donation to a POBox)

Then, the scoundrels take another name from the list for another fake
return address, and send the email to another name on the list.

If they get a list from an email group, they have plenty of addresses to
send the scam from and to.   Why would they put in the effort to "hack"
Dick Tuttle's AOL email acct?  Unless you think that Dick Tuttle's AOL
email acct address book is the only place that they could have gotten your
address and the hint that the two of you might know each other.
They do not need to invade the Whitehouse mailroom to send out fake
emails that purport to be from there.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022, David Russel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It looks like Dick Tuttle’s AOL email acct has been hacked.
>
> I got a “hope you are well. Can you do me a favor?” Email which made
> me suspicious.
>
> Called him and he had not sent it.
>
> David
>
> Sent From Mobile Phone

600miles

I got the same fakie email from DT signed dt, I copied and sent it to Toby T.

I get these type emails and texts several times a year. The weirdest one was from the Priest at my wife's school asking me to buy a gift card for a nun because he was stuck in mass and couldn't get away. Lol.