Topics

Electrical connectors?


Larry Sacks
 

Hi,

Is there a good place to get electrical connectors - butt splice plugs, bullet connectors, etc?  I've been going to O'Reilly and Pepboys but the quality seems a bit lacking at times.

I'm in Santa Clara so something in the south bay would be preferred.  Or if you know of a reputable online retailer, that could work too.

Thanks,

Larry


Fred Cisin
 

Are the Harbor Freight ones of acceptale quality?
They sell assortments pretty cheap, sometimes including a toy crimper.

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020, Larry Sacks wrote:

Hi,

Is there a good place to get electrical connectors - butt splice plugs,
bullet connectors, etc? I've been going to O'Reilly and Pepboys but the
quality seems a bit lacking at times.

I'm in Santa Clara so something in the south bay would be preferred. Or if
you know of a reputable online retailer, that could work too.

Thanks,

Larry


Larry Sacks
 

Is it better quality?  At this point, I'd rather pay a bit extra to get a better "perceived" quality.  

I bought some connectors from Home Depot (?) that included the traditional crush crimper - which was a slight upgrade over the pliers and screwdriver I was using to crush the connector.



On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 4:32 PM Fred Cisin <cisin@...> wrote:
Are the Harbor Freight ones of acceptale quality?
They sell assortments pretty cheap, sometimes including a toy crimper.


On Mon, 16 Nov 2020, Larry Sacks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a good place to get electrical connectors - butt splice plugs,
> bullet connectors, etc?  I've been going to O'Reilly and Pepboys but the
> quality seems a bit lacking at times.
>
> I'm in Santa Clara so something in the south bay would be preferred.  Or if
> you know of a reputable online retailer, that could work too.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry







Scott Davis
 

I have had good experiences with UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) kits off Ebay. In addition to being correct for fixing my Honda bikes, they are also useful elsewhere. Use the gold plated connectors, rated for the right current, and purchase the correct crimper. $30 sets you up for a while.

Also of note are Delphi weatherpack. They have the ability to be used in the engine bay.

I would not trust anything from Harbor Freight. Same with the local parts stores, they have fallen off in recent times. We have Marvac down in LA to get good stuff same day.

Scott

At 04:27 PM 11/16/2020, you wrote:
Hi,

Is there a good place to get electrical connectors - butt splice plugs, bullet connectors, etc? I've been going to O'Reilly and Pepboys but the quality seems a bit lacking at times.

I'm in Santa Clara so something in the south bay would be preferred. Or if you know of a reputable online retailer, that could work too.

Thanks,

Larry


Keith Murphy
 

Try Napa, they carry better quality then most auto stores .... 

On Nov 16, 2020, at 4:38 PM, Larry Sacks <LMSacks@...> wrote:


Is it better quality?  At this point, I'd rather pay a bit extra to get a better "perceived" quality.  

I bought some connectors from Home Depot (?) that included the traditional crush crimper - which was a slight upgrade over the pliers and screwdriver I was using to crush the connector.



On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 4:32 PM Fred Cisin <cisin@...> wrote:
Are the Harbor Freight ones of acceptale quality?
They sell assortments pretty cheap, sometimes including a toy crimper.


On Mon, 16 Nov 2020, Larry Sacks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a good place to get electrical connectors - butt splice plugs,
> bullet connectors, etc?  I've been going to O'Reilly and Pepboys but the
> quality seems a bit lacking at times.
>
> I'm in Santa Clara so something in the south bay would be preferred.  Or if
> you know of a reputable online retailer, that could work too.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry







600miles
 

Global Metrics in Belmont has a Buttload of high quality automotive connectors, fuses, bulbs, room lamps etc. They have odd hours but you can shop in person. They have sample boards and you pick the ones you want and they scurry off into the back and fetch your parts. 650-592-2722  They don't have a website but do have email. Lori Aldrighette globalmetricss@... Lori is one of the 2 owners. 

Miles 


Fred Cisin
 

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020, 600miles wrote:
Global Metrics in Belmont has a Buttload of high quality automotive connectors, fuses, bulbs, room lamps etc. They have odd hours but you can shop in person. They have sample boards and you pick the ones you want and they scurry off into the back and fetch your parts. 650-592-2722  They don't have a website but do have email. Lori Aldrighette globalmetricss@... Lori is one of the 2 owners.
If that's the same company as 45 years ago, . . .
They were the first one to supply us with the right fasteners.
Flange/washer head screws and bolts: (others said, "just use a washer, nobody cares whether replacement bolts look the same")

12mm heads for 8x1.25: (VW, etc. used 13mm heads; others said, "you have both wrenches, why would it matter? Or just replace all of them to convert the Japanese car over to what everybody else (VW) is using.")

metric nutserts: (others said, "what's wrong with switching the 6mm to 1/4-20?")

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred cisin@...


justin.pirie
 

+1 on Global Metrics for fasteners, did not know they did connectors!

Re connectors, there's a lot of personal preference in selecting them. I have crimpers and connector sets for Weatherpack, Metripack and AMP. Weatherpack is decent but is limited to 10A IIRC. Metripack 280 is 20A IIRC. Both of those are bulky IMO but fine for automotive and a lot of modern stuff uses it anyway.

The nice crimpers will do the whole crimp at once vs the cheap ones, but at 10x the price. My current favorite crimpers are the Pressmaster interchangeable series.

IWISS are my favorites for cheap crimpers- Metri and Weatherpack for $15.99

Make sure you buy the relevant de-pinning tools.

My next foray is into Deutsch, as they have good current carrying capacity for the physical size and the crimping tools are reasonably priced.

There are tons of cheap Chinese knockoff connectors on Amazon for all the connector types. I've had decent success with them but they're definitely not OEM quality! YMMV


Matthew Spielberg
 

As to the 8x1.25 bolts with 12 MM heads... There are lots of spots, like u-joints, where there is no room for a 13 mm head.

On 11/17/2020 1:01 PM, Fred Cisin wrote:
On Mon, 16 Nov 2020, 600miles wrote:
Global Metrics in Belmont has a Buttload of high quality automotive connectors, fuses, bulbs, room lamps etc. They have odd hours but you can shop in person. They have sample boards and you pick the ones you want and they scurry off into the back and fetch your parts. 650-592-2722  They don't have a website but do have email. Lori Aldrighette globalmetricss@... Lori is one of the 2 owners.
If that's the same company as 45 years ago, . . .
They were the first one to supply us with the right fasteners.
Flange/washer head screws and bolts: (others said, "just use a washer, nobody cares whether replacement bolts look the same")

12mm heads for 8x1.25: (VW, etc. used 13mm heads;  others said, "you have both wrenches, why would it matter?  Or just replace all of them to convert the Japanese car over to what everybody else (VW) is using.")

metric nutserts: (others said, "what's wrong with switching the 6mm to 1/4-20?")

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred             cisin@...



--
Matthew M Spielberg
21855 Redwood Road
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 886-5751
(209) 586-0250


Tom Rymes
 

I bought an EDIS kit from a fellow in CA for my '71 XJ6 a few years back, and that came with connectors that needed a proper crimping tool, but resulted in a very high quality "B" crimp (for lack of a better term). I'm sure that they are available elsewhere, perhaps even at the link below, but the only place I managed to find them is at AutoSparks in the UK, or perhaps British Auto Wire in the US (though their prices are often higher than buying direct from AutoSparks).

https://www.autosparks.co.uk/electrical-components/plugs-connectors.html

https://www.autosparks.co.uk/electrical-components/wiring-tools/heavy-duty-rachet-action-crimp-tool-for-use-with-a-large-range-of-terminals.html

http://www.britishwiring.com/Spade-Terminals-s/39.htm

http://www.britishwiring.com/Ratcheting-Crimping-Tool-for-Terminals-p/pr4.htm

These crimps are so much better than what you get out of parts store "crush" crimps that I still can't figure out why this isn't what you normally find everywhere. I'm sure that there's a reason, but I can't figure it out.

Does anyone have another good source?

Tom

On 11/17/2020 4:56 PM, justin.pirie wrote:
+1 on Global Metrics for fasteners, did not know they did connectors!

Re connectors, there's a lot of personal preference in selecting them. I have crimpers and connector sets for Weatherpack, Metripack and AMP. Weatherpack is decent but is limited to 10A IIRC. Metripack 280 is 20A IIRC. Both of those are bulky IMO but fine for automotive and a lot of modern stuff uses it anyway.

The nice crimpers will do the whole crimp at once vs the cheap ones, but at 10x the price. My current favorite crimpers are the Pressmaster interchangeable series.

IWISS are my favorites for cheap crimpers- Metri and Weatherpack for $15.99

Make sure you buy the relevant de-pinning tools.

My next foray is into Deutsch, as they have good current carrying capacity for the physical size and the crimping tools are reasonably priced.

There are tons of cheap Chinese knockoff connectors on Amazon for all the connector types. I've had decent success with them but they're definitely not OEM quality! YMMV


Craig Parada
 

Tom, those are really fine looking tools and connectors! 

I have a very good cutter/crimper from Anchor Electronics in Santa Clara. It’s a real throwback to the kind of places that used to be all over the South Bay. You can also try Fry’s, which used to have a wide array of tools and parts in Sunnyvale and on line. 

I recommend getting conductive electrical grease in real amounts instead of the tiny tubes from auto parts stores. I’ve cleaned and greased every contact in the Amphicar, and never have corrosion issues. 

On Nov 18, 2020, at 12:50, Tom Rymes <tom@...> wrote:



I bought an EDIS kit from a fellow in CA for my '71 XJ6 a few years back, and that came with connectors that needed a proper crimping tool, but resulted in a very high quality "B" crimp (for lack of a better term). I'm sure that they are available elsewhere, perhaps even at the link below, but the only place I managed to find them is at AutoSparks in the UK, or perhaps British Auto Wire in the US (though their prices are often higher than buying direct from AutoSparks).

https://www.autosparks.co.uk/electrical-components/plugs-connectors.html

https://www.autosparks.co.uk/electrical-components/wiring-tools/heavy-duty-rachet-action-crimp-tool-for-use-with-a-large-range-of-terminals.html

http://www.britishwiring.com/Spade-Terminals-s/39.htm

http://www.britishwiring.com/Ratcheting-Crimping-Tool-for-Terminals-p/pr4.htm

These crimps are so much better than what you get out of parts store "crush" crimps that I still can't figure out why this isn't what you normally find everywhere. I'm sure that there's a reason, but I can't figure it out.

Does anyone have another good source?

Tom

On 11/17/2020 4:56 PM, justin.pirie wrote:
+1 on Global Metrics for fasteners, did not know they did connectors!

Re connectors, there's a lot of personal preference in selecting them. I have crimpers and connector sets for Weatherpack, Metripack and AMP. Weatherpack is decent but is limited to 10A IIRC. Metripack 280 is 20A IIRC. Both of those are bulky IMO but fine for automotive and a lot of modern stuff uses it anyway.

The nice crimpers will do the whole crimp at once vs the cheap ones, but at 10x the price. My current favorite crimpers are the Pressmaster interchangeable series.

IWISS are my favorites for cheap crimpers- Metri and Weatherpack for $15.99

Make sure you buy the relevant de-pinning tools.

My next foray is into Deutsch, as they have good current carrying capacity for the physical size and the crimping tools are reasonably priced.

There are tons of cheap Chinese knockoff connectors on Amazon for all the connector types. I've had decent success with them but they're definitely not OEM quality! YMMV