Topics

[Donut Derelicts] YES, I walked away. . .

Ken Nelson

YIKES!!!

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:58 AM Marshall Jackson wrote:

Hey fellow car buffs!

I had a pretty good scare last week. . .

I was driving my Audi Q5 up to Lake Tahoe for a couple days of skiing.  I packed the car the night before.  I set my alarm for 5:30am.  I was out the door by 6:00am hoping to be skiing by 10:00am.  It was a beautiful day!  I crossed Donner Summit at about 9:30am and was on the home stretch to the Squaw Valley Ski Resort.  I saw what looked like a snow/ice ball in the road ahead of me on the highway.  I didn’t think I could safely swerve around it due to the other cars on the road and how close it was by the time I saw it.  I decided to straddle it (expecting the snow/ice ball to just break up or completely clear the underside of the car.  I was wrong!!!  It was a granite boulder that has fallen down from the hillside above and onto the road.  When I struck the boulder, I felt a violent impact.  The car was almost launched in the air.  I could immediately tell that a lot of damage was done. . . I could no longer steer, lost control of the car, went off the highway, and down a 300 foot snowy ravine, with the car rolling over many times.  While this was happening, I honestly thought I was about to die.  Glass was shattering all around me.  Airbags were deploying.  The inside of the car was filling with snow and broken glass.  I knew there were many trees in my path and was bracing for impact.  After what felt like an hour (but was probably only 45 seconds) the car came to a halt, right side up, far down the hillside in 3-4 feet of snow.  I quickly assessed my body.  Remarkably, I was intact.  I looked for my cell phone that was mounted on the dashboard.  It wasn’t there.  I followed the charging cable down into the snow-filled foot well and was actually able to locate my phone.  I called 911.  They told me that help was on the way.  I tried to open the driver’s door, but the car was crushed so badly that the door would not open.  I looked up. . . the sunroof was gone.  I stood up on the driver’s seat with my head and upper body out the top and I looked back up the hillside at the highway.  I saw a police car pull up. . . He waved to me. . . I gave him a thumbs up that I was ok.  I climbed out of the top of the Q5 and hiked up the steep, snowy hillside back to the highway.  The police officer was in shock.  I was in shock.  I walked away from an absolutely horrific crash!

I attached a few pictures of my experience.  The first pic is where the car came to rest.  Can you find it?  Yes, it’s there amid the trees, keep looking.  Pics 2,3,4 and 5 are of the remains of the car. The last picture is me skiing at Squaw Valley the next day!!!  I’ve never been so happy to enjoy a day of skiing!

I’m now looking for a new car.  YES, it will be an Audi.

Happy to be alive,

Marshall

 Sure glad he came thru so well!  Far better than all those Texans who hit the black ice during that cold spell!

Richard Ranch

Is there a way to see the photos?

On Mar 15, 2021, at 11:33 AM, Ken Nelson <citbuff@...> wrote:

[...]

David Russel

Here are his 6 images but the order is last photo first, first photo is at the bottom.  Car is hard to spot in bottom photo but it is there.

On Mar 15, 2021, at 12:19 PM, Richard Ranch via groups.io <richardranch=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Wow. Terrifying. Lucky you walked away.

On Mar 15, 2021, at 1:45 PM, David Russel <djrussel@...> wrote:

Here are his 6 images but the order is last photo first, first photo is at the bottom.  Car is hard to spot in bottom photo but it is there.

<image0.jpeg>
<image1.jpeg>
<image2.jpeg>
<image3.jpeg>
<image4.jpeg>
<image5.jpeg>

[...]

---J W

But but but . . .what happened to that nice boulder???

On Mar 15, 2021, at 1:36 PM, David Russel <djrussel@...> wrote:

[...]

And looks like the skis came out ok! Happy you were so lucky!

On Mar 15, 2021, at 2:25 PM, ---J W via groups.io <ipilot66@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken;  Do you know how to reach Marshall?  I am on the board of the Audi Club here in New England, and I mentioned this email on a call today.  The rep from California wanted to reach out to Marshall to see if he would be willing to talk to Audi of America about his experience.

William

Bryan Pridmore

I think it should be called a “Dyson.”

On Mar 15, 2021, at 3:55 PM, William Ellis <william_ellis@...> wrote:

Ken;  Do you know how to reach Marshall?  I am on the board of the Audi Club here in New England, and I mentioned this email on a call today.  The rep from California wanted to reach out to Marshall to see if he would be willing to talk to Audi of America about his experience.

William

John Haniotis

Wow, glad you are OK!

A new Audi would be nice but if you ever were in a similar situation and had to repeat the exercise this could also be on your consideration list😊

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/second-gen-ford-f-150-raptor-successfully-lands-crazy-snow-jump-video/

JohnH

[...]

Lou

    I think VW has a better answer for bolder hopping.

THIS IS A MUST SEE --  VOLKSWAGEN'S NEWEST CAR!

 Prototypes have been delivered to several Asian countries. It's made by VW in Korea.

It will be in Europe and Asia by the end of 2022. In addition, it doesn't use magnets....It uses ducted air jets.

<https://files.mail-list.com/m/paycheck-piracy/VIDEO-2020-2-seater-Flying-car-from-Korea.mp4>
And you don't have to buy tires.
            Lou                .

On 3/15/2021 11:23 PM, John Haniotis wrote:

[...]

And only 2 weeks to April 1st.

JohnH

[...]

Red Fred

I'd want fender skirts on mine, and maybe mags, er, mag?

RF.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 12:10 AM John Haniotis <axiom@...> wrote:

And only 2 weeks to April 1st.

JohnH

[...]

Keith Murphy

We all know how this mono wheel concept  ends- first the joy, then the screaming (in Korean) then the running ....

On Mar 16, 2021, at 7:42 AM, Red Fred <redfred47@...> wrote:

I'd want fender skirts on mine, and maybe mags, er, mag?

RF.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 12:10 AM John Haniotis <axiom@...> wrote:

And only 2 weeks to April 1st.

JohnH

Here are his 6 images but the order is last photo first, first photo is at the bottom.  Car is hard to spot in bottom photo but it is there.

<image001.jpg>
<image002.jpg>
<image003.jpg>
<image004.jpg>
<image005.jpg>
<image006.jpg>

[...]

But . . . where ya gonna hangthe license plate???

On Tuesday, March 16, 2021, 12:25:20 PM PDT, Keith Murphy via groups.io <keithddl527@...> wrote:

[...]

Fred Cisin

    I think VW has a better answer for bolder hopping.
In 2009, Honda showed the U3X.
https://asimo.honda.com/innovations/u3-x-personal-mobility.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_U3-X
I want one; they're not available.

In 2012, Honda showed the Uni-Cub, that replaced it.
https://global.honda/innovation/robotics/UNI-CUB.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_UNI-CUB
I want one; they're not available.

The Micro-Lino is an electric replic of an Isetta.
https://microlino-car.com/en/microlino
I want one; they're not available.

and, now you add ANOTHER to my wish list of unavailables.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred cisin@xenosoft.com

Ken Nelson

William, I just sent Marshall your email, so you should hear from him soon - and here's a question for Audi:   How come the steering airbag didn't blow?   I asked Marshall about that, and he doesn't know why all the side bags blew, but not the wheel?  I said as he had literally squeezed himself against the wheel to hang on for dear life down that slope, I wondered what the popping of a steering wheel bag, clutched as he did, would have done to his body??  Broken ribs?  Heart attack?  Having worked with most auto mfrs for many yrs, I knew a little about the technology, but not why that bag failed to fire, and Marshall was wondering if it was one of those Takata bags that didn't fire due to age of the explosive, or was it more a problem of the unit exploding with too much force, or shrapnelling the occupants?

I commented to him that, since the 5 mph bumper test came out yrs ago, the bag sensor must be engineered to pop at a higher force than the 5 mph impact test, but considering how that boulder tore up the front end, that impact should've fired the wheel bag unless there's some complex formula for combining various forces around the body to NOT fire that bag, but do the side ones - ask the Audi folks about those thoughts!  I'd like to understand how they design for all the various impact situations -

Regards,
Ken