Dave Chappell

600miles

Former Arcane member, Dave Chappell, my dad, passed away on Easter Sunday morning about 4:15 AM at Aegis in Fremont. It was a very restrictive community where during Covid he felt like a prisoner and didn't understand why he couldn't leave the property to enjoy a Peets coffee or go to a store. His apartment window faced the street which didn't help anything either as he could see people walking and driving by. Dad was 95 years old. Below I will post what my brother Jeff wrote about Dad. I didn't post anything on my Facebook because I don't want sympathy messages from 300 people. Posting here because he had a real love of cars & aircraft, collecting & smoking pipes, shooting guns and doing his own reloading which included pouring his own bullets. He played his bagpipes at car shows. About 6 months ago I brought his 1961 Morgan up to Oregon where I have been living since 2017. If the DMV ever opens again I will get it registered and take it to some more shows. Dad attended most of the All British shows in Palo Alto but his favorite show was the MOAH in Palo Alto. He also went on a couple of our XMas Road Kill brunches.  - Miles

The following is from my brother Jeff Chappell:
Hail and farewell to a unique personality, my father, David Paul Chappell, who passed away on Sunday at the age of 95 from causes not related to Covid-19. He was a renowned rocket scientist who worked on all of the Apollo missions, an aeronautical engineer who worked on the Bell XV-15 VTOL aircraft, and an award-winning member of the American Helicopter Society. He was also a sports car collector and mechanic. He played multiple musical instruments, focusing in his youth on violin (Beethoven) and piano (boogie-woogie), in mid-life on classical guitar, and in later years on bagpipes. He traveled widely and studied the French, German, and Italian languages. He was the father of four and the grandfather of three, and he remarried after the passing of my mother, with each marriage lasting over 30 years. Self-sufficient by nature, he did a lot of thinking outside of the box and rarely saw things the way most others did. This world will be different without him.

Curt Weil

Sorry to hear of Dave's passing; I met him twice at Palo Alto British shows; nice man.
If you need assistance in dealing with his pipe collection, let me know.

Curt Weil, CFP®
867 Lincoln Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301-3333
C: 650-814-2893 H: 650-323-7919