cost of shipping an engine and gearbox from Riverside to Cupertino


sujit roy
 

Anyone know a way of getting an engine and gearbox from Riverside to Cupertino? Gas alone for me round trip in my van will cost close to $200 and 14 hours round trip

Are there people I can use?

Sujit


mark sebolt
 

What about checking with UBER?


On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 10:44 AM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Anyone know a way of getting an engine and gearbox from Riverside to Cupertino? Gas alone for me round trip in my van will cost close to $200 and 14 hours round trip

Are there people I can use?

Sujit


mark sebolt
 

Actually check with California Overnight. I used to use them for work. They have trucks running up and down between the LA basin and the Bay area.  They do door to door or if you can have it delivered to their terminal and pickup it is a lot cheaper.  Ideally it is palletized so it is easy to handle.


On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:00 AM mark sebolt via groups.io <marklet2002=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
What about checking with UBER?

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 10:44 AM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Anyone know a way of getting an engine and gearbox from Riverside to Cupertino? Gas alone for me round trip in my van will cost close to $200 and 14 hours round trip

Are there people I can use?

Sujit


sujit roy
 

One problem is I really only need the engine but it has a gearbox attached to it. That makes the package dimensions more than I really need. 

Sujit


mark sebolt
 

With it on a pallet if it sticks out a bit it is not typically a problem. Cost is typically pallet footprint and weight   There will probably not be too much difference in cost between with or without the transmission.


On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:13 AM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
One problem is I really only need the engine but it has a gearbox attached to it. That makes the package dimensions more than I really need. 

Sujit


mark sebolt
 

It looks like they had a name change it is now Ontrac ontrac.com


On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:20 AM mark sebolt via groups.io <marklet2002=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
With it on a pallet if it sticks out a bit it is not typically a problem. Cost is typically pallet footprint and weight   There will probably not be too much difference in cost between with or without the transmission.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:13 AM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
One problem is I really only need the engine but it has a gearbox attached to it. That makes the package dimensions more than I really need. 

Sujit


Ken Nelson
 

Will it fit diagonally?

Ken

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 5:22 PM mark sebolt <marklet2002@...> wrote:
It looks like they had a name change it is now Ontrac ontrac.com

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:20 AM mark sebolt via groups.io <marklet2002=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
With it on a pallet if it sticks out a bit it is not typically a problem. Cost is typically pallet footprint and weight   There will probably not be too much difference in cost between with or without the transmission.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:13 AM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
One problem is I really only need the engine but it has a gearbox attached to it. That makes the package dimensions more than I really need. 

Sujit


mark sebolt
 

Hell I don't know.  Don't even know what car it goes in.  LOL

There are a lot of " Standard" Pallets.  40"x48"  is the typical grocery pallet but they also have a 44"x56" available in industry which is pretty big in softwood, hardwood, plastic or Plywood  The shipper may be able to find one locally or at any pallet yard.  If it is on a pallet they are just another commodity and shippers won't bat an eye.


On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:42 AM Ken Nelson <citbuff@...> wrote:
Will it fit diagonally?

Ken

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 5:22 PM mark sebolt <marklet2002@...> wrote:
It looks like they had a name change it is now Ontrac ontrac.com

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:20 AM mark sebolt via groups.io <marklet2002=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
With it on a pallet if it sticks out a bit it is not typically a problem. Cost is typically pallet footprint and weight   There will probably not be too much difference in cost between with or without the transmission.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:13 AM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
One problem is I really only need the engine but it has a gearbox attached to it. That makes the package dimensions more than I really need. 

Sujit


Scott Davis
 

What time frame are you looking at?

And what size engine/gearbox? Isetta, or big block Ford?

At 04:44 PM 1/25/2022, you wrote:
Anyone know a way of getting an engine and gearbox from Riverside to Cupertino? Gas alone for me round trip in my van will cost close to $200 and 14 hours round trip

Are there people I can use?

Sujit


justin.pirie
 

Have you tried uShip? I’ve had good luck with folks looking for gas money. 


mark sebolt
 

Good Idea I used them to ship a car cross country for a fraction of a car mover


On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 12:25 PM justin.pirie <jp@...> wrote:
Have you tried uShip? I’ve had good luck with folks looking for gas money. 


Bill Wilkman
 

If it's shipped on a pallet,  would there need to be a fork lift on the receiving end?

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 6:27 PM, mark sebolt
<marklet2002@...> wrote:
Good Idea I used them to ship a car cross country for a fraction of a car mover


On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 12:25 PM justin.pirie <jp@...> wrote:
Have you tried uShip? I’ve had good luck with folks looking for gas money. 


mark sebolt
 

Normally guys like ontrac will have a lift gate and pallet jack. Worth checking though. 

On 26 Jan 2022, at 12:30 pm, Bill Wilkman via groups.io <wilkmanracing@...> wrote:

If it's shipped on a pallet,  would there need to be a fork lift on the receiving end?

Bill Wilkman


On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 6:27 PM, mark sebolt
Good Idea I used them to ship a car cross country for a fraction of a car mover


On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 12:25 PM justin.pirie <jp@...> wrote:
Have you tried uShip? I’ve had good luck with folks looking for gas money. 


600miles
 

Greyhound transports car fenders etc, also be helpful if we know what engine and if we get to keep the trans.

Miles


sujit roy
 

Sorry guys this is for a Triumph Stag V8 with attached gearbox. I've reached out to some folks for approx weight and dimensions of the combined unit.. The engine weights about 400 lbs. The guys say he has an engine hoist and can load it in  Mini van. I initially thought about going down, but 14 hour round trip is a bit too much. At this point I want to save it from going to scrap. I have a car it can go in, but with 2 Stag already this wont go anywhere soon.

With all the sites suggested, I need to enter weight and dimensions so I have to wait for that info. Also it seem the engine needs to be on a pallet. 

Sujit


sujit roy
 

I'm not is a hurry for the engine, as I mentioned, I want to save it from going to scrap. However, I'm not sure about the guy at the other end.

Sujit



Ken Nelson
 

Sujit, I have a friend in :LA who said he might be coming up here some time this spring as he has friends in a bike shop up here.  I can see if he could haul a light trailer up here like a harbor freight 4x8 or similar on his way up if he's planning a trip.  How soon does the engine have to be moved?  I could also put out a note on the SF Citroen club site to see what might show up.- we've got good connections with the LA area.  

Ken

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 10:27 PM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Sorry guys this is for a Triumph Stag V8 with attached gearbox. I've reached out to some folks for approx weight and dimensions of the combined unit.. The engine weights about 400 lbs. The guys say he has an engine hoist and can load it in  Mini van. I initially thought about going down, but 14 hour round trip is a bit too much. At this point I want to save it from going to scrap. I have a car it can go in, but with 2 Stag already this wont go anywhere soon.

With all the sites suggested, I need to enter weight and dimensions so I have to wait for that info. Also it seem the engine needs to be on a pallet. 

Sujit


sujit roy
 

Hi Kemn,
I'm not sure if this guy will wait, By that time, he may find another buyer. 
Sujit


Ken Nelson
 

Try Uship - those guys run all over the place and often need to fill a small niche in their truck as they transport all sorts of odd loads.  There's now a TV program in MIchigal called "shipping wars" about these yahoos - funny and screwy - they bid on jobs via pc every day on the road from their truck cabs.  Just get it on a pallet -

Ken

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 8:22 AM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Kemn,
I'm not sure if this guy will wait, By that time, he may find another buyer. 
Sujit


sujit roy
 

I drove down in my van and picket it up. $260 in gas round trip
Sujit