[CitroenDSID] Unexplained belt failure

Ken Nelson

WHY OLD NON-SEALED BALL BEARINGS ON OLD CARS CAN SEIZE UP -

Fernando, you don't say anything about the alternator - does it turn freely??

Also, does the cam pulley still turn?

If the waterpump had been rebuilt, but NOT with a dual-sealed modern bearing where the grease cannot possibly run out of the bearing as in the originals - they had NO inner seal, they'd get hot, the grease would run out into the housing, and THEN the balls would actually cut thru their steel retainer cage, the cage would distort, and one end of the broken steel cage band would jam in the race, locking the bearing up!  Sometimes this can happen, then when the pump is rotated backwards during removal, the cage can unlock, and the bearing can seem ok - so PRESS OUT that pump bearing, take it apart, and I think you may find that the pump had seized momentarily - long enough to snap both belts, then when you were checking it, free itself up.

If the alternator bearing is still ok, it's gotta be the pump, but also check that the accessory drive pulley hasn't sheared its key or rivets on its hub - something let go unless a wayward nut inside your water passage jammed the pump vanes - Check all those rotating devices.

Perfect example"  One yr ago I was driving my '61 Panhard cabrio, just started out of a parking lot with the rally bunch, got to the first stoplight, when I heard a nasty sqeal of a tortured belt, and the only belt on a Panhard engine is to the generator.  I thought an Alpha next to me had made the noise, but no.  I pulled over around the corner to get out of the busy intersection, belt howling.  Got to curb, checked the gen, & sure enough, the front pulley bearing had seized.  With tools aboard, I pulled the gen on the street, removed pulley, pulled front cover with bearing, and found that back then, none of the ball bearings on these old cars had internal shields or anything to keep the grease inside.  this one had gone absolutely dry, sawed thru the ball cage, and  cage bits had jammed the balls.  I had to come up with a solution, or call AAA or walk 2 miles to the nearest store.  with a pair of needlenose pliers, I pulled out the steel shards, bent the cage ends back so they were out of the way, was helped immensely by the home owner where I'd parked as he had a couple of old Trans Ams, and a tub of grease!  Inserted same, reassembled and met up with the rally group at the last stop.  Next day I found a standard bearing for $4 but doublesealed, and on I went.  I've had this jammed beariing problem several times in 63 yrs - due to not replacing all those ancient, non-sealed beariongs - especially on D pumps!!!

Ken

Excelente point Stan!  Maybe it was the bearings complaining!!