Chains for lifting engines

sujit roy

I went to Home Depot this evening to buy some linked chains for my engine hoist. They have lengths of chains sold by the foot. For all the heavy duty chains, the first thing on the labels it says not for overhead use.
Is this some sort of disclaimer or something? Are most of these chains rated at 1500 lbs. or more OK to be used for an engine hoist?

Sujit

Ken Nelson

Sujit, that's the lawyers CYA stuff - see what the chain capacity is - they should all be marked.  And always chose a chain with about 2-3x the load capacity of what you're lifting.

Ken

On Tue, Jan 3, 2023 at 9:41 PM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I went to Home Depot this evening to buy some linked chains for my engine hoist. They have lengths of chains sold by the foot. For all the heavy duty chains, the first thing on the labels it says not for overhead use.
Is this some sort of disclaimer or something? Are most of these chains rated at 1500 lbs. or more OK to be used for an engine hoist?

Sujit

Keith Murphy

As per internet know-all-god:

Only alloy steel chain, grade 80 or 100 is to be used for overhead lifting. Alloy steel chain will stretch when over loaded; other types of steel may break without warning.