Can anyone recommend a shop nearby

mchl_gabriel

Hi

My 1958 Morris Minor 948 cc  4cy blew a piston. I took the head off and had it rebuilt. I found then it that  a piston has a hole in the edge.
. I do not have anywhere to do the work myself  so I need to take it to a shop. Any recommendation?
 Michael Gabriel

sujit roy

I had some Triumph Stag cylinder heads rebuilt by Ador at American European Auto Clinic in Mountain View. He does engine work for

He changed me 800$ labor to do 2 heads which was in the ball park of others. He never worked on Stag heads, but worked on TR7 heads which are very similar. My car is running.

Sujit

---------------------
Sujit Roy
(408) 839-8359
sujitroy@...

On Wednesday, September 8, 2021, 01:21:50 PM PDT, mchl_gabriel <aetal@...> wrote:

Hi

My 1958 Morris Minor 948 cc  4cy blew a piston. I took the head off and had it rebuilt. I found then it that  a piston has a hole in the edge.
. I do not have anywhere to do the work myself  so I need to take it to a shop. Any recommendation?
 Michael Gabriel

Raymond Nierlich

Michael,
Where are you located?
Ray Nierlich

On Wednesday, September 8, 2021, 01:21:50 PM PDT, mchl_gabriel <aetal@...> wrote:

Hi

My 1958 Morris Minor 948 cc  4cy blew a piston. I took the head off and had it rebuilt. I found then it that  a piston has a hole in the edge.
. I do not have anywhere to do the work myself  so I need to take it to a shop. Any recommendation?
 Michael Gabriel

mchl_gabriel

Hi Ray

I am in East Palo Alto. I have Hagerty Towing so I can take it almost anywhere

Michael

My 1958 Morris Minor 948 cc  4cy blew a piston. I took the head off and had it rebuilt. I found then it that  a piston has a hole in the edge.
. I do not have anywhere to do the work myself  so I need to take it to a shop. Any recommendation?
 Michael Gabriel

600miles

$800 plus parts? Seems like bay area prices gone nuts. I know its an alum v8, I bet a Jag would be expensive too.

I got my Isetta head done - replace 1 guide, cut seats $100 but was emergency I need it now price. Same guy pressed my Isetta crank for only $80. Most folks ship them to Belgium to get a rod pressed in. I have a shop here in Medford Oregon that does my Honda 600 heads - cut seats only $24ea head.

Miles

Scott Davis

Sounds like you have a good deal.

Most places down in the SoCal area have shop rates of $125/hr and up. Specialty shops are charging $200/hr.

Scott

At 09:25 AM 9/9/2021, you wrote:
$800 plus parts? Seems like bay area prices gone nuts. I know its an alum v8, I bet a Jag would be expensive too.

I got my Isetta head done - replace 1 guide, cut seats $100 but was emergency I need it now price. Same guy pressed my Isetta crank for only $80. Most folks ship them to Belgium to get a rod pressed in. I have a shop here in Medford Oregon that does my Honda 600 heads - cut seats only $24ea head.

Miles

Raymond Nierlich

Michael,
Sujit gave you British and European, which are the only shop I know in your area.

Don't know what your budget or objectives are but I have a used 1098 engine extra to my needs if that is interesting to you. It turns, looks decent, but otherwise unknown condition. Personally, as most of the "A" series engines can be swapped with minimal difficulty, I prefer the 1275. A 1098 may be a less expensive way to get her going again and gain some power too. If you are keeping the car all original, repair your 948, but if not a 1275 makes a different car of it.

I would mention to all that the annual UBSCC  Dixon swap meet and show is on the 19th of this  month. I have found some excellent stuff at the swap meet in the past years. Normally in May but this year nothing is normal. Great people, great show and swap, but only British!

Best,
Ray
cell. 831-235-0414

On Wednesday, September 8, 2021, 03:53:35 PM PDT, mchl_gabriel <aetal@...> wrote:

Hi Ray

I am in East Palo Alto. I have Hagerty Towing so I can take it almost anywhere

Michael

My 1958 Morris Minor 948 cc  4cy blew a piston. I took the head off and had it rebuilt. I found then it that  a piston has a hole in the edge.
. I do not have anywhere to do the work myself  so I need to take it to a shop. Any recommendation?
 Michael Gabriel

mchl_gabriel

I agree with the cost in the Bay area. I had my head done on the Minor and was charged $1200 and it took 3  1/2 months.
That is why I am not going back to the shop to do the repair

Michael

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 9:25 AM 600miles <z600miles@...> wrote:
$800 plus parts? Seems like bay area prices gone nuts. I know its an alum v8, I bet a Jag would be expensive too.

I got my Isetta head done - replace 1 guide, cut seats $100 but was emergency I need it now price. Same guy pressed my Isetta crank for only $80. Most folks ship them to Belgium to get a rod pressed in. I have a shop here in Medford Oregon that does my Honda 600 heads - cut seats only $24ea head.

Miles

sujit roy

This guys advertises in our local Triumph club magazine.

sujit roy

600miles

I worked @ Brit Motorsports on Dell a billion years ago. Then, it was only a parts store with a mini wrecking yard out back.  I got hired as a driver, we picked up a Stag at a hotel, good fun. But the next day they had me mow the lawn and push in the dumpster. I quit after 3 days. The owner left me with this parting message "Grow up".  Didn't help much, I'm still not grown up.

Miles