Topics

CA trailer plate question(s)

Brian Kanamu

I have the opportunity to get a free pair of sequential black CA trailer plates that were used on a mobile home back in the black plate days.  My hope is to learn that 1) the config (number set) is clear to use and, 2) they're applicable to any trailer of black plate vintage if you can YOM a trailer (or use in lieu of a vanity black plate).  The plates have nothing identifying them as any specific class or purpose, just black CA plates with letter letter ####.  Does anyone have advice on how to go about this quest?  Many thanks.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Keith Murphy

On Feb 9, 2021, at 8:32 PM, Brian Kanamu via groups.io <citromatic@...> wrote:

I have the opportunity to get a free pair of sequential black CA trailer plates that were used on a mobile home back in the black plate days.  My hope is to learn that 1) the config (number set) is clear to use and, 2) they're applicable to any trailer of black plate vintage if you can YOM a trailer (or use in lieu of a vanity black plate).  The plates have nothing identifying them as any specific class or purpose, just black CA plates with letter letter ####.  Does anyone have advice on how to go about this quest?  Many thanks.

Brian Kanamu

All I find is limited info on vanity plates.  Because of the virus they aren’t doing them and that part of the site is disabled.  Were you trying to steer me to a config checker?

From: ArcaneAutos@groups.io [mailto:ArcaneAutos@groups.io] On Behalf Of Keith Murphy via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2021 8:43 PM
To: ArcaneAutos@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ArcaneAutos] CA trailer plate question(s)

Bill Simpkins

Trailer use or RV only, different configuration of numbers on cars

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021, 9:20 PM, Brian Kanamu via groups.io <citromatic@...> wrote:

All I find is limited info on vanity plates.  Because of the virus they aren’t doing them and that part of the site is disabled.  Were you trying to steer me to a config checker?

From: ArcaneAutos@groups.io [mailto:ArcaneAutos@groups.io] On Behalf Of Keith Murphy via groups.io

Brian Kanamu

Figured as much.  Just wondering if a trailer plate is a trailer plate as long as it doesn’t say otherwise on it.

From: ArcaneAutos@groups.io [mailto:ArcaneAutos@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Simpkins via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2021 9:45 PM

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021, 9:20 PM, Brian Kanamu via groups.io <citromatic@...> wrote:

Scott Davis

I have YOM'd a trailer plate onto my vintage rigs twice, both long before COVID. Here is the procedure:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/vehicle-industry-registration-procedures-manual-2/special-plates/year-of-manufacture-yom-license-plates/

One was easy. Existing paperwork that showed the year of manufacture, and existing plate. 10 min.

One was difficult and took 3 trips. If you're not making progress, my suggestion is don't force it. Many examiners are not aware of the program and how it works. It is not guaranteed that one will be successful at guiding bureaucrats through their area of expertise.

Checking if they are available is more convoluted. There used to be an online checker, that had a caveat as to the in person DMV expert was the final approver, and nothing was clear unless approved and within valid registration payment.

Scott

At 09:47 PM 2/9/2021, you wrote:
Figured as much. Just wondering if a trailer plate is a trailer plate as long as it doesn’t say otherwise on it.

From: ArcaneAutos@groups.io [mailto:ArcaneAutos@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Simpkins via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2021 9:45 PM

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021, 9:20 PM, Brian Kanamu via groups.io <<mailto:citromatic=yahoo.com@groups.io>citromatic=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

All I find is limited info on vanity plates. Because of the virus they aren’t doing them and that part of the site is disabled. Were you trying to steer me to a config checker?

From: <mailto:ArcaneAutos@groups.io>ArcaneAutos@groups.io [mailto:ArcaneAutos@groups.io] On Behalf Of Keith Murphy via groups.io
To: <mailto:ArcaneAutos@groups.io>ArcaneAutos@groups.io

<https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/license-plates-decals-and-placards/california-license-plates/special-interest-license-plates/>https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/license-plates-decals-and-placards/california-license-plates/special-interest-license-plates/

On Feb 9, 2021, at 8:32 PM, Brian Kanamu via groups.io <<mailto:citromatic=yahoo.com@groups.io>citromatic=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have the opportunity to get a free pair of sequential black CA trailer plates that were used on a mobile home back in the black plate days. My hope is to learn that 1) the config (number set) is clear to use and, 2) they're applicable to any trailer of black plate vintage if you can YOM a trailer (or use in lieu of a vanity black plate). The plates have nothing identifying them as any specific class or purpose, just black CA plates with letter letter ####. Does anyone have advice on how to go about this quest? Many thanks.

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon>
[]

Virus-free. <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link>www.avast.com