Balancing a cars metal radiator fan

sujit roy

I have a metal car fan and viscous coupling for  my Triumph. Can anyone balance it? I'm in Cupertino.
Sujit

Lawrence Rhodes

Talk to Mike. Knows a lot and does the Lemons race.  Lawrence Rhodes

Mechanically Speaking

Auto repair shop in Burlingame, California
Address: 1330 Rollins Rd, Burlingame, CA 94010

Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 6PM

Raymond Nierlich

That's a good question Sujit!
I have statically balanced my older Jaguar fans on occasion. Jaguar supplied slotted crescent shaped shims to fit under the mounting bolts. These can be slid back and forth on the bolts or added/subtracted as required.

I balance the fans on a known good old pump bearing. (which I admit may not be convent for you)  You need a good used water pump bearing removed from a pump body. Then remove the seals and wash the grease out of the ball bearings so it is dry. Polish the front part of the shaft so that the pulley/hub you are using will just slide on. Mount it in your vise, give the assembly with the fan and clutch installed a wee spin and let it come to a stop to check for the heavy/light spot. It may take several trys to or fro to verify the heavy and light spot. If it isn't too far out, a little removal of metal on the the heavy fan blade tip will do the trick. A little bead of weld added to a convenient spot will also do the job.

Best, Ray