Topics

[Arcane_autos] Re: Messerschmitt/Sachs motor build party

Fred Cisin

So, what is in a name?
"Arcane" is defined, but subjective, and prone to arguments.

But, what is an "auto"?
A rose by any other name can still have the same exhaust, or are people taking advantage of different smog regulations?

"It all started with Gerald Ford's famous invention the automo-car, which was powered by a tank of burning fossils."

Is it FOUR WHEELS that makes it an auto?
https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/h/hultman89_Claybrook.jpg
has four wheels. Nobody was able to ride it without injury without those outrigger "training wheels".
Will my HOVERCAR, with NO wheels, not be an "auto"?
When will it, and my jet pack, finally be available on Amazon?

I saw a Honda N600 near San Diego that had the rear axle replaced with a single motorcyle style wheel. Did that make it a "motorcycle"?
And, if the wheels aren't what matters, for anybody who sees the motor of a Honda N600, it is an air-cooled Honda parallel twin motorcyle style engine, that is "OBVIOUSLY from a 3 wheel motorcycle; see the differential for the pair of wheels? and the reverse gear added on to the side?"

Are three wheel Morgans, "motorcycles"?
Are the three wheel versions of an Isetta "motorcycles"?
If a wheel is split into two narrow ones, is that counted as two, and is THAT what differentiates a car from a motorcycle? ("3 V 4 wheel" Isetta, Farmall tractors with a single "dual" wheel in front, . . . )

We certainly don't want uninteresting "autos" here.
Surely, "Arcane" is more important than "Auto".

BTW, I was unable to give away my [complete, even with fairing] Auranthetic "Charger" EV minibike.
It continues to rust in my backyard.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred cisin@...

On Sun, 26 Apr 2020, Lawrence Rhodes primobassoon@... [Arcane_autos] wrote:

Here is an old post. I am not sure what Arcane is. I thought is was small and weird.  Now it seems Pebble Beach is a big deal. What seemed to start out as a poor mans fancy is now autos only?  In California 3 wheeled vehicles are motorcycles. Wouldn't an old Harley be Arcane? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vPDQnGfQfE Is this Arcane. Messerschmitts are Arcane.  They are technically a motorcycle.  An Issetta is a motorcycle.  I have seen a few motorcycle's here.  One is the 1970's Auranthetic Charger  https://barnfinds.com/shocking-1973-auranthetic-charger-mini-bike/  This sure looks Arcane. Seems to me the group should be called Arcane Vehicles.  Seems there is a lot of latitude here in the past.  So in my opinion keep it small and weird.  https://newatlas.com/veloschmitt-1950s-messerschmitt-e-velomobile/31942/ Lawrence Rhodes

On Saturday, June 25, 2011, 11:33:37 AM PDT, Lawrence Rhodes <primobassoon@...> wrote:

What a great idea.  Great simple car too.  HowEVer those of you that know my
once in a while electric vehicle posts will know I'm about to suggest replacing
that dinosaur of a drive train with an electric one.  I bet you could for about
a thousand dollars put in a 72v motorcycle drive train.  However to get decent
range the batteries would be a few grand.  That being said it bet rebuilding
that little motor isn't all that hard compared to other larger motors.  It's
nice to have a friend with a shop.  I personally have had a lot of experience
wrenching everything from a Datsun 1200/ Bluebird station wagon.  VW bugs,
Hondas etc..So I'd personally would like to watch help and learn how the
Messerschmidt's are put together so I can build one up with an electric drive
train.  I'd like to have a 200 mile range which I think is possible with this
small efficient vehicle.  Lawrence Rhodes..still looking for that low CD in a
classic vehicle......
http://www.evalbum.com/1160 City EL
http://www.evalbum.com/3352 Very Arcane
http://www.evalbum.com/type/BEDF Bedford
http://www.evalbum.com/1521 2CV
http://www.evalbum.com/1596 Enfield
http://www.evalbum.com/type/DUTN Dutton
http://www.evalbum.com/504 Very Arcane
http://www.evalbum.com/type/ENCL Enclosed motorcycles
http://www.pluginamerica.org/vehicles/peraves-e-tracer etracer
http://www.evalbum.com/2653 Horlacher
http://www.evalbum.com/2311 Chapman Wind EV
http://www.evalbum.com/559 Doran
http://www.evalbum.com/type/KTHB Kit cars & hand builts
http://www.thegreenmotorist.com/index.php/triac-electric-vehicle-now-available-in-california/ Triac

After finding all these I couldn't find one Messerschmitt that has been
converted.....Maybe an Arcaner could be a first I'll help.....

Veloschmitt reinvents the 1955 Messerschmitt KR200 as a two-person e-vel...
Along with 1950s/60s contemporaries like the Isetta, the three-wheeled Messerschmitt KR200 was one of the origin...

Shocking! 1973 Auranthetic Charger EV Minibike
Scotty Gilbertson
Are you looking for the world’s quietest minibike or pit bike? Look no further, this 1973 Auranthetic Charger EV...

Lawrence Rhodes

Fred with all this free time maybe I could make my way to the east bay and rescue the rusty but trusty bike. Lawrence Rhodes

List Moderator Arcane_autos-owner@...

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: