Anyone know the gearshift pattern for a '48 Fiat Topolino?

Ken Nelson

Recently got a '48 Topo running & went thru the brakes, now find I CAN'T find REVERSE!  Darndest thing - seems to have a typica "H" pattern of gear positions via long floorshift handle, but neither the top 3 handle "slots" left to right, all give fwd motion when clutch let out, and same for bottom 3 handle slots below neutral, which describes a horizontal line from L to R - and there are no extra levers or whatnot to pull/push/twist to link to a reverse slot - I'm baffled!

I can't push/pull/wiggle/twist the floor lever to get anything beyond the 3 top and 3 bottom slots - so what gives?  Can anyone provide a clue, or picture/diagram of how to find reverse???  Clutch works ok, as do fwd gears - I'm at a loss for backing up!  Is there anyone out there who has owned/operated a Topo?  Any suggestions/folks to call would be appreciated - gets a bit tiring pushing the ride backwds!

Ken N.

Lou

Hi Ken,
    The shift knob for a 1948 Topolino shows R as
right, push (or lift), and down.   I thought it only
has 4 gears & R.
        Lou

On 9/6/2022 9:06 PM, Ken Nelson wrote:
[...]

Craig Parada

Four speed for the entire series, and like virtually all European cars prior to 1970, unmarked knobs and switches.
Buy an owners manual?

On Sep 6, 2022, at 23:12, Lou via groups.io <c1937@...> wrote:

Hi Ken,
    The shift knob for a 1948 Topolino shows R as
right, push (or lift), and down.   I thought it only
has 4 gears & R.
        Lou
48 fiat topolino shift knob.jpg

[...]

Hi Craig,
    I thought the 48 Topolino was a 4 speed but I don't own one.
I found two sources on line that show the 5 speed pattern.
    SO, how can Ken locate Reverse?
Lou