Anyone know the gearshift pattern for a '48 Fiat Topolino?

Ken Nelson

Recently got a '48 Topo running & went thru the brakes, now find I CAN'T find REVERSE!  Darndest thing - seems to have a typica "H" pattern of gear positions via long floorshift handle, but neither the top 3 handle "slots" left to right, all give fwd motion when clutch let out, and same for bottom 3 handle slots below neutral, which describes a horizontal line from L to R - and there are no extra levers or whatnot to pull/push/twist to link to a reverse slot - I'm baffled!  

I can't push/pull/wiggle/twist the floor lever to get anything beyond the 3 top and 3 bottom slots - so what gives?  Can anyone provide a clue, or picture/diagram of how to find reverse???  Clutch works ok, as do fwd gears - I'm at a loss for backing up!  Is there anyone out there who has owned/operated a Topo?  Any suggestions/folks to call would be appreciated - gets a bit tiring pushing the ride backwds! 

Ken N.

Lou

Hi Ken,           
    The shift knob for a 1948 Topolino shows R as   
right, push (or lift), and down.   I thought it only   
has 4 gears & R.       
        Lou       

On 9/6/2022 9:06 PM, Ken Nelson wrote:
Recently got a '48 Topo running & went thru the brakes, now find I CAN'T find REVERSE!  Darndest thing - seems to have a typica "H" pattern of gear positions via long floorshift handle, but neither the top 3 handle "slots" left to right, all give fwd motion when clutch let out, and same for bottom 3 handle slots below neutral, which describes a horizontal line from L to R - and there are no extra levers or whatnot to pull/push/twist to link to a reverse slot - I'm baffled!  

I can't push/pull/wiggle/twist the floor lever to get anything beyond the 3 top and 3 bottom slots - so what gives?  Can anyone provide a clue, or picture/diagram of how to find reverse???  Clutch works ok, as do fwd gears - I'm at a loss for backing up!  Is there anyone out there who has owned/operated a Topo?  Any suggestions/folks to call would be appreciated - gets a bit tiring pushing the ride backwds! 

Ken N.

Craig Parada

Four speed for the entire series, and like virtually all European cars prior to 1970, unmarked knobs and switches. 
Buy an owners manual? 

On Sep 6, 2022, at 23:12, Lou via groups.io <c1937@...> wrote:

Hi Ken,           
has 4 gears & R.       
        Lou       
48 fiat topolino shift knob.jpg    

Ken N.

Lou

Hi Craig,               
    I thought the 48 Topolino was a 4 speed but I don't own one.               
I found two sources on line that show the 5 speed pattern.           
    SO, how can Ken locate Reverse?           
Lou           

On 9/7/2022 4:57 PM, Craig Parada wrote:
Four speed for the entire series, and like virtually all European cars prior to 1970, unmarked knobs and switches. 
Buy an owners manual? 

On Sep 6, 2022, at 23:12, Lou via groups.io <c1937@...> wrote:

Hi Ken,           
has 4 gears & R.       
        Lou       
48 fiat topolino shift
              knob.jpg    

Ken N.