anyone know of someone who can do a VIN inspection

mchl_gabriel

I am in East Palo Alto. I bought a 57 Hillman out of state and took it to get registered. The DMV inspector could not read 2 numbers on the Vin plate and would not  wait while I  cleaned it up. I was told to take it to the CHP for the Vin inspection

The CHP only does inspections by appointment in 4-6 weeks  .

Does anyone know of a local  alternative to the CHP for vin inspections? AAA won/t do one older than 30 years

Michael Gabriel

Ken Nelson

Michael, try Rhonda Madden - she's an appraiser and helped me get a title for a '56 Brristol 405 a few years ago.  See below:

Sat, Dec 12, 2020, 3:22 AM
to ArcaneAutos, bcc: RLM, bcc: me
Try Rhonda Madden, who is a classic car appraiser and has good contacts at DMV:

1-707-794-0094 • Work      (415) 710-8087 • Mobile

Ken Nelson

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 11:39 PM mchl_gabriel <aetal@...> wrote:
I am in East Palo Alto. I bought a 57 Hillman out of state and took it to get registered. The DMV inspector could not read 2 numbers on the Vin plate and would not  wait while I  cleaned it up. I was told to take it to the CHP for the Vin inspection

The CHP only does inspections by appointment in 4-6 weeks  .

Does anyone know of a local  alternative to the CHP for vin inspections? AAA won/t do one older than 30 years

Michael Gabriel

Bill Simpkins

Go to an independent DMV agency, much less hassle.

On Thursday, June 2, 2022, 8:55 PM, Ken Nelson <citbuff@...> wrote:

[...]

David Russel

Michael,

you can always try a different DMV office once the plate is clean, assuming it is easily read when clean.

When getting the tatra titled the inspector signed off but the manager overseeing the clerk at the Santa Clara DMV wouldn't approve her own inspector's report and said she would only accept it from the CHP.  Luckily I thought to ask if she had a number for the local CHP and she did and gave it to me.  My call was answered by a person, I explained that I was at the DMV and hoped to find someone at their office who would inspect it.  They said they were having lunch but to come over and if there was a gap in his appointments he'd fit me in.  Drove over and he inspected and signed off before doing his first afternoon appointment.

Good luck
David

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 8:39 PM mchl_gabriel <aetal@...> wrote:
I am in East Palo Alto. I bought a 57 Hillman out of state and took it to get registered. The DMV inspector could not read 2 numbers on the Vin plate and would not  wait while I  cleaned it up. I was told to take it to the CHP for the Vin inspection

The CHP only does inspections by appointment in 4-6 weeks  .

Does anyone know of a local  alternative to the CHP for vin inspections? AAA won/t do one older than 30 years

Michael Gabriel

Keith Murphy

Start over and go to the Los Gatos DMV - loose the CHP refferal - and make damn sure you can read the VIN.
Don’t say anything about a prior visit to the DMV - only answer required questions, don’t offer any extra information that’s not needed - you will only confuse the DMV  and get you sent to the CHP again.
DMV pricks

On Jun 2, 2022, at 8:39 PM, mchl_gabriel <aetal@...> wrote:

I am in East Palo Alto. I bought a 57 Hillman out of state and took it to get registered. The DMV inspector could not read 2 numbers on the Vin plate and would not  wait while I  cleaned it up. I was told to take it to the CHP for the Vin inspection

The CHP only does inspections by appointment in 4-6 weeks  .

Does anyone know of a local  alternative to the CHP for vin inspections? AAA won/t do one older than 30 years

Michael Gabriel

Matthew Spielberg

Although it was a couple of years ago, I walked into my local CHP and was given the name of the single guy there cleared to do verifications. Drove one car there, and they did a “house call” for two more.
Turned out he was a car guy

Sent from my IBM Selectric

On Jun 2, 2022, at 10:28 PM, Keith Murphy via groups.io <Keithddl527@...> wrote:

Start over and go to the Los Gatos DMV - loose the CHP refferal - and make damn sure you can read the VIN.
Don’t say anything about a prior visit to the DMV - only answer required questions, don’t offer any extra information that’s not needed - you will only confuse the DMV  and get you sent to the CHP again.
DMV pricks

On Jun 2, 2022, at 8:39 PM, mchl_gabriel <aetal@...> wrote:

I am in East Palo Alto. I bought a 57 Hillman out of state and took it to get registered. The DMV inspector could not read 2 numbers on the Vin plate and would not  wait while I  cleaned it up. I was told to take it to the CHP for the Vin inspection

The CHP only does inspections by appointment in 4-6 weeks  .

Does anyone know of a local  alternative to the CHP for vin inspections? AAA won/t do one older than 30 years

Michael Gabriel

600miles

Print out the form off the dmv website and take it to any PD or call my guy and pay him $50.

mchl_gabriel

I called East Palo Alto PD and told that it does not do VIN inspection and referred me  CHP Redwood city, the one with the super long appointment list

Does anyone know on a local vin inspector? I do not want to tow or drive an uninsured  and uninsured vehicle 20 miles or more for an inspection only to find that it cannot be done.for some reason,  I did  that once already for the Redwood City CHP

Michael