Any classic Merc owners in this group

sujit roy

I've been told Merc back in the day used staked UJ for the drive lines. If this the case, where do you folks get them replaced? I'm in Cupertino
Early Triumph Stag's used a similar set up.

Here is a link to a UJ which can be used on a Stag. It's listed for  a Merc.

https://www.powertrainindustries.com/story/2851-24?catalog_table=dsp_ujoints

Sujit

Red Fred

You got me on this one.  In this country, a Merc is a Mercury.   I just spent all of yesterday moving my lifetime collection of '51 Mercury parts out from under my Father's house.   This includes an entire car, shoved through a 3' x 3' opening to the crawl space below, and about 5 Flathead V8s.   Anyone need any MERCury parts?

RF.

On Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 5:07 PM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I've been told Merc back in the day used staked UJ for the drive lines. If this the case, where do you folks get them replaced? I'm in Cupertino
Early Triumph Stag's used a similar set up.

Here is a link to a UJ which can be used on a Stag. It's listed for  a Merc.

https://www.powertrainindustries.com/story/2851-24?catalog_table=dsp_ujoints

Sujit

Ken Nelson

So - exactly HOW are you supposed to stake them, as that's what the ad says -.

PS Sujit - my cherrypicker is in storage in Sacramento, so I'm afraid you'll need to borrow someone elses if you still need one -

Regards,
Ken

On Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 5:07 PM sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I've been told Merc back in the day used staked UJ for the drive lines. If this the case, where do you folks get them replaced? I'm in Cupertino
Early Triumph Stag's used a similar set up.

Here is a link to a UJ which can be used on a Stag. It's listed for  a Merc.

https://www.powertrainindustries.com/story/2851-24?catalog_table=dsp_ujoints

Sujit

justin.pirie

You can dremel out the stakes to replace them like normal u-joints. Or take them to a driveshaft shop- my favourite is: Drive Line Service of San Leandro
(510) 352-3500
https://goo.gl/maps/9fr1X9zJmYbK2jdz9