[fiatamerica] Fall Colors; NOW!

Red Fred

Hi Gang,
   Afraid that I'm a dinosaur on this computer thing, and I can't quite keep separate who I spoke to on the Fiat Chat line, and who hit me up personally.  But there was discussion of a fall colors drive in my vicinity.   It appears that the colors have actually blossomed since we spoke last.   Yep, it's gotten cold up here, and things are dying & falling off.   Then there are the leaves!
    SO, Saturday seems like an ideal day to start a drive at the Burlingame SAFEWAY parking lot at Howard & El Camino at say 10:00am.   Then we motor up a block or two to Ralston, to meander on the road that parallels 280 south for an exit or two, hop on 92 West across the "lakes", up to 35 (Skyline), and head toward Alices.   If there is enough interest in naked, exposed 124 Spider doors, and there are only a few of us, we can pull off at my place and inspect my attempt at dissecting said parts.  Either way, it makes for a good pit stop; of course all PPE, masks, shields, etc.... should be in effect.   From there we can motor on to Alices, and make another pit stop if need be.
    Traversing to 84 West at the "Corners" should really start to bring in the colors as we descend out of the Redwoods, and out onto the longer, sweeping, high speed turns heading to the coast, and San Gregorio's General Store.
    Today I noticed lots of color from 92, up 35 (past the latest murder scene) to Alices.   From Alices' & the corners, there is a lot of color on 84 toward the Coast.    So here's a quick, impromptu suggestion for those looking for color, especially before any nasty weather.   I am at an all new low, and may have to resort to something out of club limits to attend, but so what.  It will most likely be the oldest buggy in attendance!   

I will extend this offer to our brothers in the Arcane society.  Please chime in with responses to let us know what to expect, or not. 

Cordially, RF.

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 10:45 PM Larry Sacks LMSacks@... [fiatamerica] <fiatamerica@...> wrote:

I was telling Christina tonight about your trip along 84 seeing the fall colors.  

50 Indians?  They would take up a bit less space than Spiders or X1/9s.  

Your fear of X1/9s is warranted.  If you own one, you might just want to get some others.  For a while I had 2, but am back to just 1... driving one is addictive....

Larry

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 8:51 PM Fred Johansen redfred47@... [fiatamerica] <fiatamerica@...> wrote:

Well, you are always welcome here for a pit stop.  And I am not against bringing the gang also.  I just need a heads up to make sure I'm home.

Your message about the two 124 personalities is spot on!   I feel myself falling in the same trap I did with the Indian Motorcycles; I needed a bike for every mood..   At one time, I had 50 Indians!   I'm afraid of trying an X19, as I fear that I will have to have one, or two?

Merry Motoring, RF.

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 7:58 PM fiatdan fiatdan@... [fiatamerica] <fiatamerica@...> wrote:

Hey Fred,
After reading about your fun drive down the coast, I'm thinking I need to do that too! 
Thanks for the waking me up from my Thanksgiving food stupor.
Dan Y

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

-------- Original message --------
From: "Fred Johansen redfred47@... [fiatamerica]" <fiatamerica@...>
Date: 11/27/20 5:44 PM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: [fiatamerica] Fall Colors; NOW!

Hi All,
    I did a blast down Skyline & 84 today during a test session on my new (new to me anyway) '82 124 Spider.   I'm impressed with the FI!   Especially since this car sat for 15 years!   New tank, new filter & pump, and I'm off!
    Anyway, from Alices' to the Coast was afire with fall colors & leaves.   There was a lot of week end types out also though.

RF.

__._,_.___

Posted by: Larry Sacks <lmsacks@...>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Community email addresses:
  Post message: fiatamerica@...
  Subscribe:    fiatamerica-subscribe@...
  Unsubscribe:  fiatamerica-unsubscribe@...
  List owner:   fiatamerica-owner@...

Shortcut URL to this page:
  http://groups.yahoo.com/community/fiatamerica

__,_._,___

Red Fred

Hi All,
   Looks like things are looking  good for tomorrow.   Lets try and meet and be ready for a 10:00am blast off from the Safeway parking lot at Howard & El Camino in Burlingame.  These days, it's not really cool to hang about, and this parking lot isn't the best for meeting up.   So please try and be there slightly before 10am, with us heading out at 10:10 North on El Camino for a block to Ralston, then up Ralston, which turns/blends into Chateau Drive and then actually Tees into Skyline, which is merely a frontage road at this point, running South along 280.   We then turn right at the stop sign of Hayne Road, and proceed UNDER the 280 Freeway to continue south on Skyline, but now we will be on the more scenic frontage road.   This will Tee into 92 at the "Lakes", where we make a right, heading West.    Of interest is that the "lakes" are actually the San Andreas Fault!    Then it's a quick 2.5 miles on 92 to a left turn at the Cemetery for 35 (Skyline).   There is a turn out there, and I  can pull over and wait for stragglers, but don't hang out in the road; pull over to wait.
    Then it's onward for 5.2 miles to my house if we have enough Fiat 124 Door guys, or, if not, straight on for a total of 13 miles to Alices where there is gas & porta potties.   Not really a stop at this point, as it will be crowded with all the weekenders.   So stop if you need to.   From Alices we kinda wrap around the place, and head West on 84 towards La Honda, San Gregorio & the Coast.    This stretch of 84 seemed to have a lot of color earlier this week.  Hopefully the gods are still with us on this.    I will probably stop at the  General Store in San Gregorio (they have a bar there).   Others may opt to continue to the Beach, or perhaps head south on Stage Road to Pescadero, where there is gas, and should be food (there is a deli  behind the little market there).    
   Just a quick, informal, impromptu jaunt.  There will be no maps, no fees, and no body to blame.    
   Be warned of some sudden  trash dumped along the stretch of 35 just after 92.   It seems that not only are peeps dumping their garbage, but are now dumping dead bodies; as seen in the news this week.   

Merry Motoring, RF

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 11:44 AM fiatdan fiatdan@... [fiatamerica] <fiatamerica@...> wrote:

RF,
Thanks for the suggestion on a drive to see the local fall colors in your neck of the woods and a possible viewing of your surgery skills to repair a weakened/ damaged attachment for a FIAT Spider door hinge.

Sorry to hear about your FIAT situation with a "all new low" regarding running cars. But whatever you bring, it is always welcome especially when you organize the event.  I know it will be interesting, like seeing you in a "normal" modern car, though a old buggy would be preferred! 

Sad to hear about the latest murder scene. Was that an accident on 35?
Dan Y

Date: 12/3/20 10:44 PM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: Re: [fiatamerica] Fall Colors; NOW!

Hi Gang,
   Afraid that I'm a dinosaur on this computer thing, and I can't quite keep separate who I spoke to on the Fiat Chat line, and who hit me up personally.  But there was discussion of a fall colors drive in my vicinity.   It appears that the colors have actually blossomed since we spoke last.   Yep, it's gotten cold up here, and things are dying & falling off.   Then there are the leaves!
    SO, Saturday seems like an ideal day to start a drive at the Burlingame SAFEWAY parking lot at Howard & El Camino at say 10:00am.   Then we motor up a block or two to Ralston, to meander on the road that parallels 280 south for an exit or two, hop on 92 West across the "lakes", up to 35 (Skyline), and head toward Alices.   If there is enough interest in naked, exposed 124 Spider doors, and there are only a few of us, we can pull off at my place and inspect my attempt at dissecting said parts.  Either way, it makes for a good pit stop; of course all PPE, masks, shields, etc.... should be in effect.   From there we can motor on to Alices, and make another pit stop if need be.
    Traversing to 84 West at the "Corners" should really start to bring in the colors as we descend out of the Redwoods, and out onto the longer, sweeping, high speed turns heading to the coast, and San Gregorio's General Store.
    Today I noticed lots of color from 92, up 35 (past the latest murder scene) to Alices.   From Alices' & the corners, there is a lot of color on 84 toward the Coast.    So here's a quick, impromptu suggestion for those looking for color, especially before any nasty weather.   I am at an all new low, and may have to resort to something out of club limits to attend, but so what.  It will most likely be the oldest buggy in attendance!   

I will extend this offer to our brothers in the Arcane society.  Please chime in with responses to let us know what to expect, or not. 

Cordially, RF.

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 10:45 PM Larry Sacks LMSacks@... [fiatamerica] <fiatamerica@...> wrote:

I was telling Christina tonight about your trip along 84 seeing the fall colors.  

50 Indians?  They would take up a bit less space than Spiders or X1/9s.  

Your fear of X1/9s is warranted.  If you own one, you might just want to get some others.  For a while I had 2, but am back to just 1... driving one is addictive....

Larry

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 8:51 PM Fred Johansen redfred47@... [fiatamerica] <fiatamerica@...> wrote:

Well, you are always welcome here for a pit stop.  And I am not against bringing the gang also.  I just need a heads up to make sure I'm home.

Your message about the two 124 personalities is spot on!   I feel myself falling in the same trap I did with the Indian Motorcycles; I needed a bike for every mood..   At one time, I had 50 Indians!   I'm afraid of trying an X19, as I fear that I will have to have one, or two?

Merry Motoring, RF.

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 7:58 PM fiatdan fiatdan@... [fiatamerica] <fiatamerica@...> wrote:

Hey Fred,
After reading about your fun drive down the coast, I'm thinking I need to do that too! 
Thanks for the waking me up from my Thanksgiving food stupor.
Dan Y

Date: 11/27/20 5:44 PM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: [fiatamerica] Fall Colors; NOW!

Hi All,
    I did a blast down Skyline & 84 today during a test session on my new (new to me anyway) '82 124 Spider.   I'm impressed with the FI!   Especially since this car sat for 15 years!   New tank, new filter & pump, and I'm off!
    Anyway, from Alices' to the Coast was afire with fall colors & leaves.   There was a lot of week end types out also though.

RF.

__._,_.___

Posted by: fiatdan <fiatdan@...>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)
Community email addresses:
  Post message: fiatamerica@...
  Subscribe:    fiatamerica-subscribe@...
  Unsubscribe:  fiatamerica-unsubscribe@...
  List owner:   fiatamerica-owner@...

Shortcut URL to this page:
  http://groups.yahoo.com/community/fiatamerica

__,_._,___