Topics

Wrap in SF?

Byron Brill

One of my sons has friends looking for a company in the Bay Area that can do full body auto wraps.  Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Byron

Ken Nelson

One of our guys in Donuts mentioned wrapping a car last Sat - I'll ask tomorrow at bagel shop -

Hey By, did you see my writeup to grp about the gen bearing in my PL cabrio?  Last Sat tried to run with Fiat group and at first stoplight from park lot my gen froze, belt squealed like a stuck pig, and I had to motor the car around a corner on the starter in 2nd gear to get out of traffic.  Those bearings from those days never had grease seals on them - as soon as the grease got hot & ran out, they run dry, and in this case the balls cut thru the steep retaining bands, turned one area into shrapnel, which fell into races and jammed the balls.  If you've never checked your gen, I strongly suggest checking the pulley rotation for Feel, and noise.  They're 60 yrs old if never regreased.

You can get new double-sealed bearings from Grainger supply, mail order, for $5 @ and shipping.   Part is no. 6202 2RS - means 35 mm OD, 15 ID, and 11 mm thick.  Drill or grind off the two rivets holding the keeper plate to the front gen cover, punch the rivet stubs out, push bearing out of front cover using a good-sized socket, and replace with these pre-lubed, sealed bearings which will outlast all of us.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 5:27 PM Byron Brill <jowett1@...> wrote:

One of my sons has friends looking for a company in the Bay Area that can do full body auto wraps.  Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Byron

Byron Brill

Great information, Ken.  Thanks!

Byron

[...]

I didn't get a clear answer today at our cars & coffee Bryon, but think someone will get back to me before nex wk,  Will also post on grp email -

Best,
Ken

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 11:19 AM Byron Brill <jowett1@...> wrote:

[...]

Neil Pering

Hi Ken/Byron:
I checked the Tesla owner’s e-mail and I came up with a place in Los Gatos. Take a look at the website and see if it would do:
www.deepreflectionsdetailers.com
Regards, Neil.

Neil Pering

+1650-537-0810

On Jul 18, 2020, at 11:44 AM, Ken Nelson <citbuff@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Neil – I’ll pass it along.  And thanks for the effort Ken!

[...]

You're welcome -  did you see my note about my Panhard generator seizing on a rally last week?  If you haven't ever pulled yours apart, you might want to check it out - I had to repair it on the side of the road to avoid an  AAA tow, but it worked until I got a new bearing at Grainger for $5.  Can send you the infor if you need it.

Stay safe!
Ken