Buy your T Series MG for $650???

rfeibusch1@...

Forwarded from the MG T-series list:

California and San Francisco Bay Area T series owners should get a laugh out
of the letter, paraphrased below that I recently got from the Bay Area Air
Quality Management District:

"Dear Vehicle Owner:

Since the registration on your model year 1951 vehicle is expiring soon,
please consider an alternative to driving this vehicle. You can receive
$650 for your 1987 or older car, van or pickup truck from the Bay Area Air
Quality Management District and help reduce air pollution.

The District's Buy Back Program buys and then scraps 1987 and older vehicles.
These older vehicles have less efficient emission control equipment and
therefore produce much more air pollution than newer vehicles. This program
is completely voluntary. If your car is a classic car or otherwise valuable
to you, please disregard this letter."

Needless to say I will be disregarding the letter. No wait, I think I'll
write the BAQMD and ask why they are wasting my taxpayer funds to mail these
letters out to owners of cars as old as mine. Any car of this age still
registered and in operation is already a classic and more valuable to the
owner than the $650 offered. Still I wonder if the "program is completely
voluntary" provision will someday be rescinded?

Time to write your legislators and express your opinions now?

John F. Quilter
Brisbane, California
1951 MGTD,
1960 Morris Minor
1969 Austin America
two bicycles for most local errands

---J W

Suppose they were referring to your 'bicycles??

[...]

Dick Tuttle

I am still not sure the cash for clunkers idea is as green an idea that
some believe. When one considers the amount of energy, resources and
chemicals with great carbon footprint potential that go into making a new car, one
might wonder if running an old one in good condition for some years might
be greener. The fact that older cars are not driven as many miles as newer
ones alone may make up most of the difference. A lot of statistics are
thrown about that beg for clarification. For example the fellow who smogged
my wife's Volvo wasn't sure if the PPM numbers were parts per mile or parts
per million. An Escalade puts out many more million parts than my 2CV.
Some have said that a 1989 car pollutes 100 times as much as a 2009 model.
Maybe so, but one must consider how little a 2009 pollutes. 100 times
almost nothing is still very little.

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221621490x1201450102/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26
hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DAprilfooter421NO62)

Mark P Hatten <mphatten@...>

Portland is considering this same "cash for clunkers" program to get newer "green" cars on the road. For the most part it is great idea.

I'll up the ante, I'd give you 651.$ !!

Mark

Portland Or.

WWW.MPHSPECIALTIES.COM

To: arcane_autos@...
From: rfeibusch1@...
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:38:56 -0400

[...]

Roger DiRuscio <solarrog@...>

The problem with the cash for cars in Calif. is it must pass a smog test, and have been in registration for the last two years. Why do they want to get rid of those that are still running good as opposed to those that run bad.
then the cars are sold to car dismantlers who sell the parts off anyway. Then they sell the smog credits off to some large Corp who can't clean up their smoke stack. Makes you sit back and go HUMMMMM
its all about money. They keep offering me $650 for my work van. it cost me $1800 in repairs this year to keep it going. But lets talk about sales tax 10 percent on a new $40,000 truck is $4000. still not ready for a new one when the old one does the job.

Roger DiRuscio
Fremont, Ca 94539
510-226-2414 ofc message line
website, scrapologist.com
Ham radio KG6QKZ (gen)
Fremont CERT volunteer "Ardenwood"

From: rfeibusch1@...
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:38:56 -0400

[...]

Windows LiveT Hotmail:.more than just e-mail.
http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_more_042009

List Moderator Arcane_autos-owner@...! Groups Links

Mark P Hatten <mphatten@...>

Here in Portland a few years back, the DEQ would offer you a 700.$ gift certificate good towards a new mountain bike, or a unlimited ride full year bus pass if your car failed emissions. You had to give them your car, of course. The program was hugely popular, too much so. We are now having bicycle road rage problems.

Mark

Portland Or.

WWW.MPHSPECIALTIES.COM

To: Arcane_autos@...
From: four4dhc@...
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 19:11:06 -0400

[...]

http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_skydrive_042009

Mr. David C. Wilker Jr. <wilkerbeast01@...>

Hello all
I had an '89 Celebrity wagon that I owned for about 3 years. I paid $100 for it at a yard sale (no back window). Actually, my Father paid the $100. I guess I still owe him that money... I drove it for awhile, got hit at an intersection, collected $1400 for damages, surrendered the title, got a salvage title, drove it for another year, sold it to my girlfriend's son for $400, bought it back 6 months later from him for $150 when it would not pass SMOG, and sold it to the State of California for $1000. It had to have one bumper, one door, windshield, etc. It also had to get to the wrecking yard under it's own power.

If we cannot afford to take care of our veterans, then we should stop making them.
David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)

From: rfeibusch1@...
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:38:56 -0400

[...]

List Moderator Arcane_autos-owner@...! Groups Links

List Moderator Arcane_autos-owner@...! Groups Links

---J W

I have just gone through 9 pages of 'requirements' to junk my car and get paid. Not easy----so much trouble to get the county to take my car--even if they had the money--that I will just give it away or drive it to the crusher.---j

From: rfeibusch1@earthlin k.net
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:38:56 -0400

[...]

Here is the application to sell a car to the B.A.R. I don't know what the rest of the country uses. It seems to me I remember it taking about 10 minutes to fill out. I sent the form snail mail to Sacrapimento, our fair capitol, and got a reply in a couple weeks. Took the form and drove to the local yard, about 16 miles away. Took about an hour to get it inspected and verified by phone. They handed me a $1000 check and I was gone.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/ftp/pdfforms/CAP_App.pdf

From: rfeibusch1@earthlin k.net
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:38:56 -0400

[...]

List Moderator Arcane_autos-owner@...! Groups Links

---J W

That looks like the same form for us here in the south. BUT, it must be time to re-register the car---not a pending sale or just entering the state. This car has been in my park for over 10 years and continuously licensed. I would have to wait til Sept. and then apply and then hope there was money available. they really don't seem to want my car. And it is still running good so would not qualify.---j