Arcane racing

adrian cockcroft

How about an "arcane soapbox derby" kind of race. Find a gentle slope,
point the cars down it, engines off, and let off the handbrake to
start. The winner will combine low brake stiction, low rolling
resistance and high weight. The main chance of damage would be to seat
springs with the occupants bouncing up and down to get the car
moving...

Start the engine after the end of the run to get some brake vacuum for
the cars that need it to stop, or just loop around and go back up
hill.

A place like Foothill College parking lot would be ideal. The
Friendship Day event is at a location on a slope in San Mateo (I
forget which college it is) so perhaps it could happen then?

Cheers Adrian

Dick Tuttle

I once ran an event similar to what Adrian describes. It was for 3-wheeler
Morgans. I found a nice downhill run of about 200 yards that then went
sharply

Sorry, accidental send. Anyway after the downhill run the road goes uphill
steeply enough to stop any car. Each car was started from a dead start and
allowed to coast down one hill and up the other. A marker was placed where
they came to a stop, showing which car had the least rolling resistance and
most momentum on the down hill run. Top speed was probably 15 mph or so. Of
course, coasting downhill is illegal in California, but statutes of limitations
are now in play. It was a fun, safe and revealing.

Martin Hickel <isledesk@...>

boy, that's bad news for honda hybrid drivers using a stickshift -- I
spend ALL my downhill time coasting...

(it's fun seeing how many cars I pass rolling down the waldo grade)

four4dhc@... wrote:

Sorry, accidental send. Anyway after the downhill run the road goes uphill
steeply enough to stop any car. Each car was started from a dead start and
allowed to coast down one hill and up the other. A marker was placed where
they came to a stop, showing which car had the least rolling resistance and
most momentum on the down hill run. Top speed was probably 15 mph or so. Of
course, coasting downhill is illegal in California, but statutes of limitations
are now in play. It was a fun, safe and revealing.

List Moderator Arcane_autos-owner@...
Yahoo! Groups Links