From: "Byron W. Brill" <bbrill@...>
To: "Arcane Autos Yahoo Group" <Arcane_autos@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 6:02 PM
Subject: [Arcane_autos] Trickle chargers

Anybody have any suggestions for trickle chargers? I've got several cars,
mostly 12v, but with one or two 6v thrown in. I'm looking for a single
battery trickle charger and/or a multi battery charger that will maintain
batteries on cars that don't get driven regularly, particularly through the
winter. I'm after an automatic charger that will taper its charge as
required & not cook my batteries. I've checked out what's available at
Automotive Service Equipment (www.asedeals.com), Northern Tool
(www.northerntool.com), SJ Discount Tools (www.sjdiscounttools.com) & am
poised to order one or more from TP Tools (www.tptools.com), but thought I'd
ask the question first of all youse guys that are so much smarter than me.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Byron

Arcane Auto Society Home Page: http://www.arcaneauto.org/

List Moderator Arcane_autos-owner@...
Yahoo! Groups Links

Byron W. Brill <bbrill@...>

Anybody have any suggestions for trickle chargers? I've got several cars, mostly 12v, but with one or two 6v thrown in. I'm looking for a single battery trickle charger and/or a multi battery charger that will maintain batteries on cars that don't get driven regularly, particularly through the winter. I'm after an automatic charger that will taper its charge as required & not cook my batteries. I've checked out what's available at Automotive Service Equipment (www.asedeals.com), Northern Tool (www.northerntool.com), SJ Discount Tools (www.sjdiscounttools.com) & am poised to order one or more from TP Tools (www.tptools.com), but thought I'd ask the question first of all youse guys that are so much smarter than me. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Byron

mark sebolt

I just ought one at Cycle Gear in Concord. they have several stores in the
bay area. The Battery Tender Junior was on sale for $22 down from 36. It
is a tiny unit about 1/2 the size of a pack of cigarettes but thicker. It
comes with a set of aligator clips and a set of ring terminals both of which
are fused. I install the ring terminals to the battery and the adapter plug
just hangs down (it has a cap) IN use just pop the cap and plug the
extention cord from the tender to the socket. Or you can plug on the
aligator clips and clamp them to the battery posts.

Battery Tender also has a 4 unit base station that you attach to the wall or
workbench then run extention cord things to the sockets on all of yout cars.

The thing I like about them is they are designed to leave connected to the
batteries until you need the car and automatically cycle as required.

The one from HF probably does the same thing for less.

Mark

On 3/15/06, Byron W. Brill <bbrill@...> wrote:

[...]

List Moderator Arcane_autos-owner@...
Yahoo! Groups Links

David Richoux <tubaman@...>

I have used mostly ones from Battery Tender http://batterytender.com they have multiple unit chargers but not mixed voltage AFAIK and they are usually good quality.
http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=5 for the 6v
http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11_12 for "waterproof"
http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=19 for a multiple unit (not cheap!)

Dave Richoux

On Mar 15, 2006, at 3:01 PM, Ben Boyle wrote:

I just use the $15 ones you can get at Harbor Freight. I have them on 3
vehicles and so it's all good.
Anybody have any suggestions for trickle chargers? I've got several cars,
mostly 12v, but with one or two 6v thrown in. I'm looking for a single
battery trickle charger and/or a multi battery charger that will maintain
batteries on cars that don't get driven regularly, particularly through the
winter. I'm after an automatic charger that will taper its charge as
required & not cook my batteries. I've checked out what's available at
Automotive Service Equipment (www.asedeals.com), Northern Tool
(www.northerntool.com), SJ Discount Tools (www.sjdiscounttools.com) & am
poised to order one or more from TP Tools (www.tptools.com), but thought I'd
ask the question first of all youse guys that are so much smarter than me.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Byron

Matthew Spielberg <mspielberg@...>

Be careful what you ask for...terminology has changed.

Battery charger is the general term for anything that charges batteries

A trickle charger is a battery charger which has low power output, and was the old fashioned solution.

What you need is a "float charger," which is a smart trickle charger, which shuts down when the battery is fully charged, and comes back on when needed.

Stupid chargers will "taper" but still overcharge over time.

I too have used the Harbor Freight float chargers. Use them only on charged batteries, or else expect a very short lifespan.