Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 18:08:59 -0000
From: "Byron Brill" <B_Brill@...>
Subject: Mystery Car
I was in the L.A. area briefly last weekend checking out colleges
with two of my boys when we saw a small car being ferried on a
flatbed tow truck. I've uploaded a pair of pictures in an album
called "what is it". My first thought was that it was German, but
Spielberg thinks it may be Japanese, a Toyopet, perhaps. We saw it
Monday 4/5 about noon northbound on the 405 in northern L.A. Just
after taking the pictures, the truck exited the freeway and was
gone. But there is a ledgible name and phone number on the side of
the truck if one of our So. Cal. listers wants to try to track it
down before the worst happens. Who knows what it is?
Byron

Matthew M Spielberg <mspielberg@...>

Ok, I claim the brownie points. See
http://www.toyota.co.jp/Museum/data_e/a03_08_7.html . My first thought
was that it was a Toyopet Crown, which they actually brought to the US.
But it looks to be a 57 Toyopet Corona, which I had never seen before.

I asked if it was for sale. He said he'll contact the owner today and
let
me know.

1940???

Erik

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 18:08:59 -0000
From: "Byron Brill" <B_Brill@...>
I was in the L.A. area briefly last weekend checking out colleges with
two of my boys when we saw a small car being ferried on a flatbed tow
truck. I've uploaded a pair of pictures in an album called "what is it".
My first thought was that it was German, but Spielberg thinks it may be
Japanese, a Toyopet, perhaps. We saw it Monday 4/5 about noon northbound
on the 405 in northern L.A. Just after taking the pictures, the truck
exited the freeway and was gone. But there is a ledgible name and phone
number on the side of the truck if one of our So. Cal. listers wants to
try to track it down before the worst happens. Who knows what it is?
Byron

Yahoo! Groups Links

Byron W. Brill <B_Brill@...>

1940 indeed...don't think so. Toyota, yeah, maybe so. I'll be real
interested to hear what more you find out. What was its destination,
storage? Mechanic? Auto wrecker? (Gulp) Scrap metal recycler?

Byron

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 18:08:59 -0000
From: "Byron Brill" <B_Brill@...>
I was in the L.A. area briefly last weekend checking out colleges
with two of my boys when we saw a small car being ferried on a
flatbed tow truck. I've uploaded a pair of pictures in an album
called "what is it". My first thought was that it was German, but
Spielberg thinks it may be Japanese, a Toyopet, perhaps. We saw it
Monday 4/5 about noon northbound on the 405 in northern L.A. Just
after taking the pictures, the truck exited the freeway and was
gone. But there is a ledgible name and phone number on the side of
the truck if one of our So. Cal. listers wants to try to track it
down before the worst happens. Who knows what it is?
Byron

Dick Tuttle

I too identified the Corona but my letter never showed up. Will this one?
Dick Tuttle

James Tworow <sherlock77@...>

I found that link, and posted it two hours before this message here!
Hasn't shown up on group page yet, been having a bunch of posts to
this group take hours to show up. Switched e-mail accounts back to
my old one... see if this shows up.

*This post may show up twice*

Also mentioned in that post that there is a very nice 1960 Toyopet
Crown up here in Calgary at a local Toyota dealer (a dealer since
1967/68). It came into Canada from the States in the late-1960's
(actually San Francisco I believe), when the owner sold it he sold it
to the dealer - BTW we didn't get Toyota's here until 1965. I
suspect Corporate Toyota knows about this car, and I think it may be
one of the best preserved LHD American-spec "Toyopet's" around. If
you google "Heninger Toyota" you might find a picture of this car.

James
... way up north

--- In Arcane_autos@..., "Matthew M Spielberg"