Only one registered in the US???

djrussel@...

Hi,

Just saw an article at http://www.news-journalonline.com/special/bikeweeks/bw04/photo44.htm and suspect that the author might be stretching reality when he claims that the pictured Peel Trident is the only registered one in the entire US of A. Not a big deal, but not likely to be correct. I wonder if our resident Trident is in fact sporting current registration. I know it was certainly on the road a couple of years ago as even though my knees didn't quite fit, the rest of my body went for a ride in Mr. Tuttle's very nice red one.

David

Sincerely,

Hello Arcaners,

People tend to make amazing claims about their vehicles, but just as in
politics, the few in the know take it with a grain of salt. Many years ago I
suspected that my Peel Trident was the only one in the USA, and there was a P50 in
a collection in the Southwest. Now there is a Trident in the Gould collection
in Mass., one in the Weiner collection nr. Atlanta, and one in the Lane
museum in Nashville. The latter is the one that was offered in Hemmings and on
Ebay a while back. I corresponded with Jeff Lane, who seems to be a real Tatra
guy, when I forwarded him a Scootacar windscreen from the UK. I consider him a
keen enthusiast of good taste.

Mr. Kleeman's Trident won awards at last year's Microcar meet near Atlanta, I
think. While it appears to be of recent manufacture, the owner is having a
great time with it, just as I do. Once when using my Trident as a pit car at
the Monterey Historics one woman told me how much she loved it. She was 6'2"
tall and wondered if she could get in it. Naturally I told her to have a go at
it. She couldn't drive it of course, because the pedals take up some of the
foot room, but she could be a passenger and we cruised the pit area. She said,
"My God, you are an instant celebrity when you are in a Peel!" When we
stopped near the Bugatti folks she was with, and she got out and stood up, the
crowd was blown away. I only wish I could be in Daytona too. The most I usually
do is drive my Peel to Santana Row or up on the roof of Valley Fair Mall.
While car guys like us can appreciate a Tatra or a Panhard, non-car people always
appreciate the Peel.

By the way, my long awaited perspex dome has arrived in So. Cal. and I soon
hope to have it in my hands and installed. See you all at the Arcane Meet.

Cheers to all, Dick Tuttle, Santa Clara California

David Russel <djrussel@...>

Dick,

When I informed the editor that it was highly unlikely that none of the
other Peel Tridents in the US were registered, and sent him the links to
Gould and Weiner pages, he very quickly wrote back that the information
had been provided by the photographer and that they would modify the
on-line article to make it accurate.

David

four4dhc@... wrote:

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

uniquelittlecars@...

I have been to the micro car museum and most of Bruce
Weiner's cars did not have plates. Most of the people
with that many cars do not register the cars because
they are not driven on the streets except for parade's
and special events. Greg Beemers BMW 700 in the museum
had the original plates but the tags were out of date.
I know when i was up to 17 cars only two of my cars
were registered. I went to the DMV and got a one day
pass when i wanted to drive one of the cars. I am sure
Dick probably knows if the cars are regesterd or not
being an owner. But, There is a difference between
being in the USA and registered. I would agree with
Dick saying that it was not the only one registered
only because i know Dick and he seems to always have
his facts straight. But i do not know that for sure. I
do know there is others in the USA. There was one for
sale in Santa Barbara not to long ago and i know it
had papers from customs. But it was not California
registered. He also claimed his was the only one in
the USA. Maybe it is the same guy and car. I did not
see the article or web site was the car Blue?

Vigil

four4dhc@... wrote:

[...]

removed]

Home page:

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
Yahoo! Terms of

removed]

Home page:

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Search - Find what youre looking for faster
http://search.yahoo.com