Date   

Re: Metal hardness testing lab recommendation in San Jose

Dick Tuttle
 

Lightly swipe it with a sharp, fine single cut file.  If the file bites and removes metal, it's not very hard.  If the file just skids across without cutting, it's hard.

Dick Tuttle


-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Davis <evlist@...>
To: ArcaneAutos@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Apr 5, 2022 9:19 am
Subject: Re: [ArcaneAutos] Metal hardness testing lab recommendation in San Jose

Suspend with a string and tap with a steel rod. If it rings, it's hardened. A dull sound means it's not. 

Scott


-------- Original message --------
From: "sujit roy via groups.io" <sujitroy@...>
Date: 4/5/22 08:44 (GMT-08:00)
To: ArcaneAutos@groups.io
Subject: [ArcaneAutos] Metal hardness testing lab recommendation in San Jose

I have a geared water pump shaft. I want to get it hardness tested. Are there any place is and around San Jose which off this service? Something came up in San Leandro on Google, but that is a bit far for me.
There have been a lot of horror stories where the gears are not hardened and they strip.  This is for a Triumph Stag. The Triumph TR7 uses a similar water pump. 

Sujit


Re: Metal hardness testing lab recommendation in San Jose

Scott Davis
 

Suspend with a string and tap with a steel rod. If it rings, it's hardened. A dull sound means it's not. 

Scott


-------- Original message --------
From: "sujit roy via groups.io" <sujitroy@...>
Date: 4/5/22 08:44 (GMT-08:00)
To: ArcaneAutos@groups.io
Subject: [ArcaneAutos] Metal hardness testing lab recommendation in San Jose

I have a geared water pump shaft. I want to get it hardness tested. Are there any place is and around San Jose which off this service? Something came up in San Leandro on Google, but that is a bit far for me.
There have been a lot of horror stories where the gears are not hardened and they strip.  This is for a Triumph Stag. The Triumph TR7 uses a similar water pump. 

Sujit


Re: brake line tubing recommendations

sujit roy
 

Thanks, I tried to order some 1/4" from Eastwood, but they are out until May.
Regards, Sujit


Metal hardness testing lab recommendation in San Jose

sujit roy
 

I have a geared water pump shaft. I want to get it hardness tested. Are there any place is and around San Jose which off this service? Something came up in San Leandro on Google, but that is a bit far for me.
There have been a lot of horror stories where the gears are not hardened and they strip.  This is for a Triumph Stag. The Triumph TR7 uses a similar water pump. 

Sujit


Making the most of...??????

Ken Nelson
 


Crosleys Honda 600s Isettas etc Car Meet May 21 Grants Pass OR

600miles
 

West Coast Crosley Club out of Sac is having their Spring Fling up here in Grants Pass. Local resident, Martha Straube, owner of 3 restored Crosleys is in charge but they asked me to help round up more oddities and Honda 600s for the show. Here the link to the video I made and their flyer: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq5h_hP60PI 

Miles 


Afermarket add-on..........

Ken Nelson
 


Re: brake line tubing recommendations

Ken Nelson
 

Good info Ray - thanks!  I've got some tubing but haven't used it yet, so will see if I need to switch to the better stuff -

Ken Nelson

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 3:03 PM Raymond Nierlich via groups.io <ray_nierlich=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Sujit, 
I have been making my own lines for years. I also have had problems with the newer seamless copper/nickel tubing made in China. I usually get a decent result 9 times out of 10 with it. You must be very meticulous that the at end of your pipe is cut square and deburred perfectly. A smidge of moly grease on the die (the one forming the flare, not the clamping pair) helps a bit.
BrakeQuip (as of last time I bought tubing) sells better quality cunifer tubing branded as Ezibend. You need to find a BrakeQuip dealer near you to buy it. Tubing | BrakeQuip

Best,
Ray




On Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 09:19:19 AM PDT, sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:


I bought a good quality brake line flaring tool.  I bought some tube (4LIFETIMELINES brand) from Amazon - it was rated well, but I was not able to make good 45 degree flares from it. 
Someone else just recently posted photo of bad flares made by the same brand of tube using a similar tool The material is copper-nickel.

Could anyone who has made their own lines, recommend a good brand of tube to buy?

This is what I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VVMMWGM/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=c9c54853ae42baf33d9f5cb09de07d27&hsa_cr_id=8264140270401&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=52f75d2b-80af-4962-affd-96092086c562&pd_rd_w=oKRvo&pd_rd_wg=mhf9E&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1_img

Sujit


Re: brake line tubing recommendations

Raymond Nierlich
 

Sujit, 
I have been making my own lines for years. I also have had problems with the newer seamless copper/nickel tubing made in China. I usually get a decent result 9 times out of 10 with it. You must be very meticulous that the at end of your pipe is cut square and deburred perfectly. A smidge of moly grease on the die (the one forming the flare, not the clamping pair) helps a bit.
BrakeQuip (as of last time I bought tubing) sells better quality cunifer tubing branded as Ezibend. You need to find a BrakeQuip dealer near you to buy it. Tubing | BrakeQuip

Best,
Ray




On Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 09:19:19 AM PDT, sujit roy via groups.io <sujitroy@...> wrote:


I bought a good quality brake line flaring tool.  I bought some tube (4LIFETIMELINES brand) from Amazon - it was rated well, but I was not able to make good 45 degree flares from it. 
Someone else just recently posted photo of bad flares made by the same brand of tube using a similar tool The material is copper-nickel.

Could anyone who has made their own lines, recommend a good brand of tube to buy?

This is what I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VVMMWGM/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=c9c54853ae42baf33d9f5cb09de07d27&hsa_cr_id=8264140270401&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=52f75d2b-80af-4962-affd-96092086c562&pd_rd_w=oKRvo&pd_rd_wg=mhf9E&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1_img

Sujit


brake line tubing recommendations

sujit roy
 

I bought a good quality brake line flaring tool.  I bought some tube (4LIFETIMELINES brand) from Amazon - it was rated well, but I was not able to make good 45 degree flares from it. 
Someone else just recently posted photo of bad flares made by the same brand of tube using a similar tool The material is copper-nickel.

Could anyone who has made their own lines, recommend a good brand of tube to buy?

This is what I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VVMMWGM/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=c9c54853ae42baf33d9f5cb09de07d27&hsa_cr_id=8264140270401&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=52f75d2b-80af-4962-affd-96092086c562&pd_rd_w=oKRvo&pd_rd_wg=mhf9E&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1_img

Sujit


New Arcane Auto Roster

600miles
 

The Grande Leader Has Spoken! Be it Known that a new Arcane Auto Society Club Roster will be produced. Please email your current stats to Matthew Spielberg mspielberg@... Include any changes from the last Roster such as new phone, address and vehicles owned. Do not email it to Miles Chappell or post it here online, nor text it, just do that olde fashioned thing and email Matt.


New Roster

600miles
 

I need a new Arcane Roster, what I really need is Alan Keith's phone number. 

Miles
831-588-6349


Re: '59 Jag in Placerville on BaT

Ken Nelson
 

Just remember, it's a Jag with Lucas electrics, inventor of the intermittent everything.......

Ken

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 11:02 PM David Russel <djrussel@...> wrote:
Might not need a trailer to get this one home. Just tie a string on the throttle linkage to make sure of getting it to back off.  ;-)

If anyone on this list buys it please take me for a ride.  Have never been in one and it looks to be a treat.

David


'59 Jag in Placerville on BaT

David Russel
 

Might not need a trailer to get this one home. Just tie a string on the throttle linkage to make sure of getting it to back off.  ;-)

If anyone on this list buys it please take me for a ride.  Have never been in one and it looks to be a treat.

David


Re: Looking for any Peugeot 404 wheels (3 lug type)

Christopher Freitas
 

Just read what I wrote on this and it should have said "8 slots" and not "3 slots" in the outer area of the wheel.  They also have a square hole in the center and are usually painted silver.  Wheel Peugeot 404.jpg


On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 1:16 PM Christopher Freitas via groups.io <christopher64=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Looking for any of the steel factory wheels used on the Peugeot 404
sedans - 3 lug type - need to be welded and not riveted - should have
3 slots in the outer area of the wheel.

If anyone knows where I should look, the help would be appreciated.

--
Christopher Freitas

Mount Vernon WA USA

Christopher64@...

360 202 4239







--


Re: Looking for Renault 15 inch, 3 bolt wheel rims with/without useable tires

Christopher Freitas
 

For future reference - on a 3 lug wheel, you can multiply the measurement of the distance from one stud center to another stud center by 1.156 and that will give the bolt circle value (diameter) 

So on a Citroen 2CV rim - the lug to lug measurement is ~138mm which then equals 160mm PCD (3x160)
On an older Renault rim - the lug to lug measurement is ~130mm which then equals a 150mm PCD (3x150)
For a newer Renault rim -  it would have a measurement of ~112mm which then equals a 130mm PCD (3x130)

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 12:13 PM Ken Nelson <citbuff@...> wrote:
Thanks Christopher,  I'd be putting them on a Panhard, which for this version uses 15 inch wheels, but I'll check to see if they're 15 inch.  

I have a great source for tubes of 145-165 widths - Genl tire Redwood city.  Just bought 4 yesterday.  

Ken

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 3:06 PM Christopher Freitas <christopher64@...> wrote:
Those look like early 2CV wheels which are 400 and not 15 inch (380).  Also they are riveted so tube only and the rivets may interfere with the front kingpins on later 2CVs.

I know first hand that Renault LeCar wheels do not fit on 2CVs and the derivatives... 



On Fri, Jan 21, 2022, 11:44 AM Lou via groups.io <c1937=znet.com@groups.io> wrote:
   
   
   
   
Hi Ken,               
    Will these fit?           
Lou       
   
   
       
       
I'll try to measure them this afternoon if they might be correct.           
   
   
   
   
   
   
On 1/21/2022 11:18 AM, Ken Nelson wrote:
Oh - didn't know that Fred!  Since I can't find the diameter for the Panhard 24 as they switched from 5 lug rims to 3 on this last series of cars, I'm stuck a bit.  Only measurements I got from others also was lug to lug - it's far easier to measure between lugs vs diameter - on any wheel as I see it - who carries a variable diameter caliper or whatever around with them?? Sure doesn't make sense to me for anyone but someone with a CAD scanner - 

Ken  

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 10:45 AM Fred Cisin <cisin@...> wrote:
It is traditional to NOT specify distance between adjacent lugs.
The number that is used is the diameter of a circle encompassing all of
the lugs.



On Fri, 21 Jan 2022, Ken Nelson wrote:

> Thanks Christopher, but I'm running into different data: When I took a
> caliper across two adjacent boltholes on a 2CV rim last night, I got 128
> mm.  When I compared that to the holes on my old R16, I got 128 mm.  Where
> that chart got 160 mm I don't understand - it just doesn't compute.  And I
> don't know yet the space on the Panhard 24.
>
> Ken
>
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 3:17 AM Christopher Freitas <christopher64@...>
> wrote:
>
>> Renault rims do NOT fit on 2CVs!   The bolt circle is smaller - it's 3x160
>> on the Citroen and 3x150 on the Renault (iirc).  Not sure about Panards.
>>
>> There is an older Peugeot wheel that fits - 403 models ? but sedan only -
>> not the wagon as they are 4 lugs.
>>
>> Here is a good thread on all the craziness of 3x wheels:
>>
>> https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/160587/wheel-challenge-3-studs?page=1
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 20, 2022, 10:52 PM Ken Nelson <citbuff@...> wrote:
>>
>>> Would anyone have 15 inch wheel rims for a Renault Dauphine, Caravelle,
>>> or LeCar with a 5.125 ( 5 1/8 inch) inch spacing between two adjacent bolt
>>> holes on 3 bolt rims?
>>>
>>> I'm looking to buy spare rims with these dimensions as i think they may
>>> also fit a Panhard 24BT sedan.  Citroen 2CV, Mehari and Ami sedans should
>>> have this same bolt spacing and number, as Citroen at times past used
>>> Panhard factories to build 2CV Truckettes and it only makes sense they
>>> would use a common wheel size and fit.   And it might also make sense that
>>> Renault would use the same wheel supplier - I've got my hopes up, but sold
>>> all my Renaults before this need arose -
>>>
>>> Thanks for any leads -
>>>
>>> Ken
>>> 248-515-9879








--


Looking for any Peugeot 404 wheels (3 lug type)

Christopher Freitas
 

Looking for any of the steel factory wheels used on the Peugeot 404
sedans - 3 lug type - need to be welded and not riveted - should have
3 slots in the outer area of the wheel.

If anyone knows where I should look, the help would be appreciated.

--
Christopher Freitas

Mount Vernon WA USA

Christopher64@...

360 202 4239


From a BaT scroll today

David Russel
 


Re: BMW cycle head on a Morris Minor

Gerard Chateauvieux
 

I don’t have any photos at this time, but will get you some when I have time to access things. I can tell you that I bought the bike with the engine and frame intact , complete with wiring. It was a very low mileage bike with only about 30,000 miles. None of the wiring has been cut, all removed intact and in good condition. I sold off the frame and engine, so just the ancillary stuff left. As I mentioned previously, the head and fuel injection stuff was stolen from me, but think I still have the set of injectors.

Gerard


On Mar 6, 2022, at 10:21 AM, Red Fred <redfred47@...> wrote:

Interesting,  I assume that I would need everything involved?   Could you email me photos of what you have?

Many Thanks, RF.

On Sun, Mar 6, 2022 at 10:08 AM Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@...> wrote:
RF, 

Dunno the answer to your specific question, but I have the complete wiring harness from the K1100 and also the air box and some other parts like starter and alternator I’m selling. I don’t have the ECU though.

Gerard


On Mar 6, 2022, at 9:58 AM, Red Fred <redfred47@...> wrote:

Hello Gerard & All,
   I find this very interesting, but from a completely different point of view.  As some of you may know, I am infected, and addicted to the Indian Motorcycle.   Indian produced an inline 4 cylinder bike engine that evolved over the years of production; 1927-1942.  Long story short, I wish to convert one of these engines using the BMW K series 4 cylinder fuel injection.   I'm wondering if the guys are ripping off the FI systems, and installing Webers, then they must have FI systems laying around?   I am not familiar with these actual K series set ups, but I'm hoping to utilize the brain, injectors, wiring, everything.    Would anyone have any knowledge on this, or better yet, the parts?

Many Thanks, RF.

On Sun, Mar 6, 2022 at 1:43 AM David Russel <djrussel@...> wrote:
is it possible... forgot to include the link????   Ken, just one double cam head to keep it simpler than 4 single heads.  ;-)


not the first or probably the last forgotten link.

While i'm at it, the recent Tatra, the one doing cars and coffee at a starbucks sold, and here IS the link

Sorry for the omission
David

On Sat, Mar 5, 2022 at 8:23 PM Ken Nelson <citbuff@...> wrote:
Where David?  Which listings?  got my curiousity up - after all, the Minor is a 4 cyl, so did they attach 4 BMW heads to the original block?   Seems a bit strange, if not impossible without major surgery........ 

Ken

On Sat, Mar 5, 2022 at 8:02 PM David Russel <djrussel@...> wrote:
Was scrolling thru the listings and came to a dead stop on reading that a twin cam BMW motorcycle head was installed on a Morris Minor.  Hard to believe.

Reading the full description and checking out the comments could be educational. entertaining, and enjoyable.

David


Re: BMW cycle head on a Morris Minor

Red Fred
 

Interesting,  I assume that I would need everything involved?   Could you email me photos of what you have?

Many Thanks, RF.

On Sun, Mar 6, 2022 at 10:08 AM Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@...> wrote:
RF, 

Dunno the answer to your specific question, but I have the complete wiring harness from the K1100 and also the air box and some other parts like starter and alternator I’m selling. I don’t have the ECU though.

Gerard


On Mar 6, 2022, at 9:58 AM, Red Fred <redfred47@...> wrote:

Hello Gerard & All,
   I find this very interesting, but from a completely different point of view.  As some of you may know, I am infected, and addicted to the Indian Motorcycle.   Indian produced an inline 4 cylinder bike engine that evolved over the years of production; 1927-1942.  Long story short, I wish to convert one of these engines using the BMW K series 4 cylinder fuel injection.   I'm wondering if the guys are ripping off the FI systems, and installing Webers, then they must have FI systems laying around?   I am not familiar with these actual K series set ups, but I'm hoping to utilize the brain, injectors, wiring, everything.    Would anyone have any knowledge on this, or better yet, the parts?

Many Thanks, RF.

On Sun, Mar 6, 2022 at 1:43 AM David Russel <djrussel@...> wrote:
is it possible... forgot to include the link????   Ken, just one double cam head to keep it simpler than 4 single heads.  ;-)


not the first or probably the last forgotten link.

While i'm at it, the recent Tatra, the one doing cars and coffee at a starbucks sold, and here IS the link

Sorry for the omission
David

On Sat, Mar 5, 2022 at 8:23 PM Ken Nelson <citbuff@...> wrote:
Where David?  Which listings?  got my curiousity up - after all, the Minor is a 4 cyl, so did they attach 4 BMW heads to the original block?   Seems a bit strange, if not impossible without major surgery........ 

Ken

On Sat, Mar 5, 2022 at 8:02 PM David Russel <djrussel@...> wrote:
Was scrolling thru the listings and came to a dead stop on reading that a twin cam BMW motorcycle head was installed on a Morris Minor.  Hard to believe.

Reading the full description and checking out the comments could be educational. entertaining, and enjoyable.

David

121 - 140 of 20712