Re: Creating "new" parts by scanning old ones.....Leno's video

Dick Tuttle

I too saw a demonstration of the 3D laser printer in Campbell California
many years ago. The presenter stated that orders had been placed in Detroit for
large enough ones to make a full sized car. The time to generate a car
shape at 5 thou each layer was measured in weeks if I remember right. The
plastic created by the laser process was kind of weak, though, but good enough for
patterns, etc. One interesting thing was it could generate things that could
not be made, like parts incased in hollows of other parts. I don't know if
the full sized car making machines ever came to fruition.

Dick Tuttle

**************You can't always choose whom you love, but you can choose how
to find them. Start with AOL Personals.