Re: Trickle chargers

Thomas Knapp

Byron,
I have a simple wall-wart style trickle charger with a molex-type plug which I used to keep my Abarth battery charged between uses. It was switchable between 6 and 12V. I believe it was originally marketed for motorcycles. I think I bought it from J.C. Whitney. A quick search of their site shows 6 or 12v, no combinations:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2006111/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2006111/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=trickle

At $9.99 each, you could have one for 12V and one for 6V without breaking the bank.

A quick check of Harbor Freight Tools shows they have a similar tricle charger:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42292

as well as one which appears to be more substantial:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93781

Tom Knapp

-------------- Original message from "Byron W. Brill" <bbrill@...>: --------------

Anybody have any suggestions for trickle chargers? I've got several cars,
mostly 12v, but with one or two 6v thrown in. I'm looking for a single battery
trickle charger and/or a multi battery charger that will maintain batteries on
cars that don't get driven regularly, particularly through the winter. I'm
after an automatic charger that will taper its charge as required & not cook my
batteries. I've checked out what's available at Automotive Service Equipment
(www.asedeals.com), Northern Tool (www.northerntool.com), SJ Discount Tools
(www.sjdiscounttools.com) & am poised to order one or more from TP Tools
(www.tptools.com), but thought I'd ask the question first of all youse guys that
are so much smarter than me. Any ideas?