Re: Video Premiere: Pioneering Front Wheel Drive!

Craig Parada

I won’t lie, it’s all out there: Miller, if you’re looking for one-off automobiles, and Cord for production vehicles

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-wheel_drive#1920–1930

On Feb 2, 2022, at 10:21, Ken Nelson <citbuff@...> wrote:

Well well, and here I thought Citroen invented production FWD!  And what's really impressive about this Ruxton bit is the push/pull shifter which may be where the 2CV got its cueball!  So - is there any other obscure marque which REALLY was the first FWD vehicle?  Anyone?
And please don't anyone suggest the horse!

Ken

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Petersen Automotive Museum <pam@...>
Date: Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 12:13 PM
Subject: Video Premiere: Pioneering Front Wheel Drive!
To: <citbuff@...>

Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
YouTube
Video Premiere:
THE FIRST American Front Wheel Drive Production Car

Today, we're picking a very special car out of the Petersen Vault presented by Hagerty - the Ruxton Runabout. This classic car from the Petersen's own car collection is not only rare but extremely forward-thinking.

The innovative Ruxton was one of the first series-produced, front-wheel-drive cars built in America. Novel for the day, the drive system did not require the use of a traditional driveshaft, which allowed designers to build a car that was so low it did not need running boards. Ruxtons were built at both the Moon automobile plant in St. Louis, Missouri, and the Kissel automobile plant in Hartford, Wisconsin, but the firm was not well-financed and failed after only about 500 cars were built. This is one of just four roadsters known to survive and is powered by a 100 horsepower, straight-eight engine. Though unusual, the light raspberry and orchid colors are correct for the era.
WATCH NOW >>
Petersen Automotive Museum
A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization

323-930-2277
www.petersen.org
www.carstories.com

In an effort to remain relevant, our visitors are automatically added to the Petersen newsletter to receive notifications on Museum events and updates. This email was sent to citbuff@... because you either subscribed to the Museum newsletter or purchased a ticket online.

© 2022 Petersen Automotive Museum. All rights reserved.